[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the history behind hipsters? Die they always exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: hipster_hero.jpg (1 MB, 2467x3593) Image search: [Google]
hipster_hero.jpg
1 MB, 2467x3593
What's the history behind hipsters? Die they always exist?

I've heard once upon a time a young Julius Ceasar was considered a hipster because he wore his toga too loose on purpose.
>>
>>918108
It's a beatnik and bebop jazz term from the 50s/60s that originally meant something else but now just means "poser".
Corrections?
>>
File: William_Morris_age_53.jpg (45 KB, 508x639) Image search: [Google]
William_Morris_age_53.jpg
45 KB, 508x639
As long as there are middle class people who strive for "sincerity" or "authenticity" by fooling around with retro-aesthetics and some mild non-conformity there will be hipsters
>>
Its just one of the latter iteration of the culture-counterculture / mainstream-underground parallel currents thats been defining post WW2 Western civilziation.
>>
>>918108
The beatniks were first.
>>
>>918108
>>918352

I think its a hippies+beatniks thing

In the 60s when hippies first started flooding to California, the beatniks hated them because they were this upper class elite group of super cool kids. While any poor pleb could be a hippy.

And I think people focus too much on the uniform of any sort of group when they examine it especially since "hipster" is basically just a way of dressing now.

How do you describe them other than a usually upper middle class 17-30 year old who is really into obscure works of art to the point of being elitist about their taste? And I think it was a way for young people to project a certain image out that they were these deep philosophers or whatever, but to their dismay, they just became a joke on the internet
>>
>>918108
It's just "look at me!" for people who can't emote properly.
>>
>>918389
>>918373
What's the best book about the formation of the modern American middle class?
>>
>>918546

I think it has something to do with special snowflake syndrome of millennials. I dont think they can mentally take the idea of them not really being special or that remarkable, so they dress silly and think liking certain bands makes them smart and/or creative
>>
>>918108
Hipsters don't self identify because they aren't really a subculture in the sense that we'd understand it following 20th century subcultures like hippies, punks, etc. The term is too nebulous, too non-specific, there's no truly identifiable dress sense, set of ideals or shared activity which sets them apart. Even the most broad of definitions: trendy, millennial, metropolitan, inner urban, middle and upper class, is only a loose fit at best, but in that sense the young and trendy have existed for ever.
>>
File: image.png (203 KB, 800x642) Image search: [Google]
image.png
203 KB, 800x642
>>918373
Relevant.
>>
File: image.png (64 KB, 400x319) Image search: [Google]
image.png
64 KB, 400x319
>>919663
>>
>>919670
Nice comic for ants
>>
File: 3853813.jpg (30 KB, 398x353) Image search: [Google]
3853813.jpg
30 KB, 398x353
>>919670
>>
File: peer-pressure-hipster.png (679 KB, 450x605) Image search: [Google]
peer-pressure-hipster.png
679 KB, 450x605
>>918652
Hipster doesn't necessarily denote young and trendy, it's more specifically the young and trendy who are broke and somewhat educated but more in a culturally savvy sense with higher aspirations than the average fuck but not total squares. At least it was back in the 90s when you afford to live that way. Then it was rich kids with trust funds doing the same thing only in a more overeducated, craft beer and bohemian aesthetic kind of way.

Now, due to the Internet allowing anyone to see any subculture, it is where posers go to pose in a manner that is almost, but not quite self aware; like normalfags watching comic book movies for kids marketed to adults and calling themselves nerds xd. It has gone from a lifestyle stemming from being broke and being hungry for more than mainstream culture in a wasteland to a fashion statement.

Anons talking about bests and hippies are on the money, though it's more the difference between first wave hippies in it for the consciousness expansion and the later ones in it to smoke weed and dress like a hippie.

Needless to say I stopped being a hipster before it was cool to be cool at being uncool before it was cool after it stopped being cool. Now I am most sincerely myself and the posers hate it because it can't be stolen without being me or looking insane.
>>
>>919796
>that picture of Devendra Banhart is going to outlive him
>>
>>918108
>die they always?
Yes
>>
>>919796
>Hipster doesn't necessarily denote young and trendy, it's more specifically the young and trendy who are broke and somewhat educated but more in a culturally savvy sense with higher aspirations than the average fuck but not total squares
But that's the thing, everybody brings their own definition, from hilariously out of touch gen X+ columnists, to people that seem to have some idea of what they are talking about. Even amongst the latter, "young and trendy' is about all that can be agreed upon.

They are pretty much a non-entity as described, IMO.
>>
hipsters are essentially people you don't like. You can't really pin point what is a hipster, as in fundamentally. So we just use it for people we don't really like
>>
>>922933
Never understood people who use this as definition
to me it basically confirms the person as a normie
>>
>>919663
>romanticism in a nutshell.jpg
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.