[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinese culture is rock solid. There are no leaps of faith.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8
File: YinYang.jpg (95 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
YinYang.jpg
95 KB, 2000x2000
Chinese culture is rock solid.

There are no leaps of faith. A reasonable and balanced approach to life and the universe is already encoded into the language.
Yin and yang, feminine and masculine, passive and active, child and parent, wife and husband, woman and man, younger brother and elder brother, elder sister and younger sister, kohai and senpai (in the Japanese pronunciation of those Chinese characters,) servant and master, worker and boss, beast and person.

No bizarre one-sided conflict between good and evil, where an all powerful god somehow allows the devil to exist and ruin his shit.

No apocalypse, no day of judgment, just eternal balancing and rebalancing of the yin and the yang. Cyclical. No selling all your earthly possessions and waiting for the rapture. No suicide bombings for Confucius. No need to invent planet Kolob while squatting in the bushes.

It's consistently natural and conservative, in the real sense, the sense of seeing life as something requiring continual balancing, not as a progressive rush to paradise and the perfecting of man at the apocalypse.

There's no ideology on earth that has the stamina to outlast this worldview. It's the past, and it's also the future.
>>
File: ce6.jpg (41 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
ce6.jpg
41 KB, 501x585
>>916092
i wonder who's behind this post?
>>
>>916101
I'm actually white, and a Hellenist. Just playing devil's advocate.
>>
If Chinese culture was so great, it would've withstood Western ideologies. Unfortunately, most of China's traditional culture is gone and replaced with consumer capitalism, just like their neighbors.

t. Chinaman
>>
>>916118
I'd argue that it's always been compatible with capitalism, what with its focus on heirs. Maybe merchants weren't respected in the time of warlords, but there have always been "family businesses" that Confucian principles can be applied to.

Whereas rich Westerners have this nauseating tendency to adopt black babies and give all their money to lepers instead of their own children. Having a connection with your family is considered weak.

As an evolutionary strategy, it's left us to reinvent the wheel every single generation for the past hundred years or so. Nothing in our culture has the power to stand up to modern capitalist life. We have no auto-immune system in that respect.
>>
File: archetypes nigga.jpg (33 KB, 330x495) Image search: [Google]
archetypes nigga.jpg
33 KB, 330x495
"Though the Christian view of the world has paled for many people, the symbolic treasure-rooms of the East are still full of marvels that can nourish for a long time to come the passion for show and new clothes. What is more, these images — be they Christian or Buddhist or what you will — are lovely, mysterious, richly intuitive."
>>
File: absolute madman.jpg (355 KB, 704x1024) Image search: [Google]
absolute madman.jpg
355 KB, 704x1024
>>916092
>mfw my philosophy lecturer tells me that confucius isn't really a philosopher
>mfw he says that philosophy was invented by the ancient greeks

[spoiler]if you want to study philosophy, try and avoid a wholly analytical department[/spoiler]
>>
File: Blood_and_Steel_v8_ch41_160.jpg (329 KB, 826x1200) Image search: [Google]
Blood_and_Steel_v8_ch41_160.jpg
329 KB, 826x1200
>>916092
>>916515
Your philosophy teacher deserves to be fired, laughed out of academia forever and should never teach again
>>
File: Blood_and_Steel_v8_ch41_161.jpg (348 KB, 827x1200) Image search: [Google]
Blood_and_Steel_v8_ch41_161.jpg
348 KB, 827x1200
>>916639
>>
File: Blood_and_Steel_v8_ch41_162.jpg (205 KB, 825x1200) Image search: [Google]
Blood_and_Steel_v8_ch41_162.jpg
205 KB, 825x1200
>>916644
>>
>>916639
He's a scholastic philosopher, teaches Aquinas
But yes, I was shocked when he said that
(At least he admitted his position was contentious)

Like I said, I hate being in an analytical institution
>>
>>916092
Provide some empirical evidence for yin, yang, dao, and qi.
>>
>>916693
Provide some empirical evidence for liberty, equality, and fraternity.
>>
>>916693
>>916835
Shoots have been fired
>>
File: the golden trio.jpg (326 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
the golden trio.jpg
326 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>916118
The one that really gets my is how badly the Chinese bought into our 'nationalism' meme.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.