[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
was decorative armor saved only for festivals and parades, or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: decorative1small.jpg (467 KB, 830x1245) Image search: [Google]
decorative1small.jpg
467 KB, 830x1245
was decorative armor saved only for festivals and parades, or did some ballsy nobleman ever take it into battle?
>>
File: helmet.jpg (120 KB, 1007x860) Image search: [Google]
helmet.jpg
120 KB, 1007x860
Yes. The ridiculously decorated Negroli helmets are hardened, just like regular battle helmets and are cited by Tobias Capwell as an example of armour being decorated to the point of it reducing its effectiveness as protection.

The "Lion Armour" still has sword and battle damage visible.
>>
>>915511

more likely than not
>>
>>915511

People don't change much. I'm sure that throughout history, there have been a few rich idiots who went into battle with those things despite someone telling them it was an idiotic idea.
>>
>>915511
Nobel men would often use decorated armor mainly beacuse it wpuld signify their noble birth, meaning that if they lost the battle (and failed to escape) they wouldent be killed, they would be treated very well and then get ransomed off

Basically decorated armor was away to say hey dont kill me im worth alot of money
>>
>>915511
Decorative crests on top of the helm and painted armor were pretty common IIRC.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.