[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The rules of morality are not the conclusion of our reason.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 148x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 148x200
>The rules of morality are not the conclusion of our reason.

Well then where do they come from /his/? Where the hell do they come from?
>>
Subjective experience and surrounding culture
>>
>>914920
Divine revelation obvs
>>
>>914920
Ideas are just higher, less intense impressions.

"Good" and "bad" come from our gut feelings, ethics just dress up this impressions.
>>
>>914920
A combination of the conclusion of our reason and petty emotions.
>>
Emotion, which we rationalize with reason, but they are born in emotion.

Really, all morals more or less are the golden rule, don't want bad stuff happening to you, better be nice to others, and we have empathy, so we don't like hurting others.
>>
>>915306
>petty emotions
Why are they petty?
>>
>>914920
Emotions
>>
Societal norms, mores, taboos.

Morality is a social thing. If you find someone who has morality different than their society's, they're likely a social outcast or at least is part of a niche group of people who share it.
>>
>>914920
They come from the prime mover that causes everything that ought to exist.
>>
>>915713
but that's good, there needs to be an accepted norm or else you have nothing, and people are suffering left right and center.

there are societal thing but aren't there things that are just good and bad too all humans (animals) at core?
>>
>>915730
Oh, hey Aquinas.
>>
>>915740
There's no society without some accepted norms. I never said it was bad.

Though I disagree there are universal mores. While I can't say there are societies that are not against incest or murder at all, there are obviously places where it's more okay than in other places.
>>
>>915788
Oh yeah, or course there are some where they have a level where it's not horrible but, those who are murdered, raped, stolen from etc. won't like it, I wouldn't feel safe in that society, and I'd move to another one, that's bad for business, so my society would want to change to fit more of what everyone wants.
>>
>>914920
passions
basically motives
>>
We perceive things to have value on a moral basis from how things seem to be and how we feel they should be and construct rules based on that. As such moral rules are not objectively true, nor is it possible to know what or even if moral rules exist.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.