[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Castilian become the dominant language even though the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Why did Castilian become the dominant language even though the man in the Iberian Wedding was from Aragon?
>>
>>914567
Probably because Castille was bigger and Iess diverse.
>>
>>914567
But Spain doesn't speak Castilian they speak Spanish
>>
dude liked castille better than aragon, moved his capital there and in fact the aragonese even rebelled against him
tl;dr he was a c.uck
>>
>>914567
castille had an university dedicated to the study of the castillian language in toledo, so it was a respected language and culture (portugal had one too for portuguese in coimbra)
aragon was a multi-national crown so they didn't care that much about language, so no uni
when unification came to be, the crown of aragon and the nobility adopted castillian because it was fancier
gradually the people's adopted it too
>>
>>914758
nope the correct name of the language is castellano
>>
>>914567

Castile was the uncontested master of the of the Peninsula since the reign of Ferdinand III, in the first third of the XIII Century, it was the most populous one and thus her language was widely spoken. It has been used as written language since the times of Alfonso X around the middle of the XIII, even if during such times it was not still used as a language of poetry the ammount of various works written in Castilian began skyrocking.
In 1492 the first Grammar of a Romance language was completed, that of Castilian by Nebrija.
>After Your Highness has subjected barbarous peoples and nations of varied tongues, with conquest will come the need for them to accept the laws that the conqueror imposes on the conquered, and among them our language; with this work of mine, they will be able to learn it, as we now learn Latin from the Latin Grammar[1][2]
>>
>>914843
>her language was widely spoken
>widely
not in aragon though
>>
>>914904
Why do you think they still speak Catalan?
>>
>>914775
>tl;dr he was a c.uck
fuck off
>>
>>914925
you still have the rest of aragon though
but yeah castille was the biggest and most populous kingdom in the peninsula
>>
>>914904

At peninsular levels it was, and its very likely that the Castilian was already permeating Aragonese-speaking lands.
>>
>>914925
>>915084
it's a good question to ask though:
why did the aragonese part of aragon change so much in language (basically no aragonese is spoken today except in some specific remote languages) but the catalan part didn't? what happened?
>>
>>915114

I supose that the Catalan was a more vital literary language, thus it had some prestige while Aragonese or Astur-Lionese had not. Well, there were some texts written in Aragonese too, but I doubt that it never enjoyed a corpus comparable to Catalan or Galician.
>>
>>915220
yeah but why's that though? It was the primary language of the nobility of a crown that spanned throughout the mediterranean sea, not to mention it was spoken by most of the people in the lands they occupied in iberia. sure, catalan was the language used on the islands, but aragonese was spoken too, and since it was so closely related to mozarabic, most conquered peoples spoke it too, I assume.
so why didn't the aragonese crown assert their own language over time? i'm not even saying in the union with castille, really just on their own.
>>
>>914567
ferdinand of aragon was of castilian origin. the aragonese crown had died without cession, causing a castilian cousin to become king instead, so he already spoke castilian and forced it through his own court and nobility
>>
>>915252

Thats hard to know, Catalan, being more related to the Occitan languages could have been seen as fit to write poetry in.
>>
>>914567
Dude, Castles.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.