[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Japan deserve it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14
File: nagasaki-explosion.jpg (265 KB, 926x520) Image search: [Google]
nagasaki-explosion.jpg
265 KB, 926x520
Did Japan deserve it?
>>
>muh unit 731

No, They deserve 10 nuclear bombs like that
>>
大日本帝国は間違って何もしませんでした。
>>
>>913298
No. But seeing as the war was fucking disgusting anyway it's just another thing to add on to the list.
>>
>nanking
>>
>>913336
When you are the good guys you have to stick to accepted means. Otherwise you only bring yourself down to their level.
The answer must thus be no, unless you publically renounce your rights to the moral high ground.
>>
>browsing 4chan on phone
>scroll up on board list
>accidentally press /him/ instead of /his/

T-this needs to stop...
>>
>>913298
No. I've been to Hiroshima. It's a nice little city today, and obviously almost everyone goes there for the history of it and the historic sites and museums. That museum made me more anti-nuke than before, and I'll never forget what I saw there.

That city had essentially no military population whatsoever, and if I'm remembering the figures correctly the death toll was like 250,000. That many civilians dead just so the US could test out some insane weapons.
>>
>>913568
/hm/*
>>
>>913571
t. katana enthusiast
>>
>>913571
Tojo pls go.
>>
>>913571
*tips naginata*
>>
>>913298
>Did Japan deserve it?
Yes. Anyone who says otherwise is a jap apologist
>>
File: 1426143508910.jpg (172 KB, 1800x1205) Image search: [Google]
1426143508910.jpg
172 KB, 1800x1205
>>913604
>>913592
>>913590
Lol
>>
>>913590
>>913604
Kek, no it was for a student exchange. I don't really like anime that much, only DBZ as a kid. I do quite like the history of warfare though, and Japan is pretty interesting in that regard.
>>
>>913682
t. Wakatanashi Kawaberu
>>
File: ac6.jpg (62 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
ac6.jpg
62 KB, 600x800
>>913688
Hai hai, here's a picture of me desu.
>>
the classic argument is that the us were able to fly their planes over japan with no problem, proving theyd already lost
>>
Considering they fucking hesitated until Americans dropped the second bomb I'd say yes.

Island chinks literally got leaflets for weeks saying they would vaporize cities if they didn't surrender.
>>
>>913729
>what is controlling an air space
>>
>>913776
Fucking this.

I wish Operation Downfall was carried out.
>>
>>913298
totally. It was necessary to end the war. Japan was not willing to give up. There were three alternatives: Bomb Japan, as it happened, or either invade or starve them with a blockade until they give up.

An invasion would have killed more people than the bombs did, and starving them would have killed more people too. And both of these cases would have killed people not just in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but also in Tokyo, Kyoto, Yokohama etc.

The Bomb was the lesser evil way of ending the war.

If America wanted to be cruel, they would have bombed Tokyo.
>>
Nobody deserved it but it needed to be done at least once in the world's history, and it's better to end a war than start one with nukes
>>
>Just so we're clear, Tojo, we won't accept anything less than unconditional surrender
>FAKKA U AMERICAN, WE KAMIKAZE YOU AT OKINAWA YOU ACCEPT OUR TERMS NAO
>Well that kind of hurts, but we're still not going to accept anything less than unconditional surrender
>FAKKA U AMERICAN, WE PREPARE TO DEFEND HOMERAND TO THE DEATH
>Alright, but we've already firebombed most of your cities and we have these really powerful bombs that can wipe out an entire city
>FAKKA U AMERICAN DROP UR SHITTY BOMBU SEE IF I CARE NOW U TOO SCARED TO INVADE HAHA

The Japanese government totally deserved it, the people should've risen up against such incompetent scum.
>>
>>914137
Tokyo was already burned down
>>
>>913336
Protip: no one from unit 731 was convicted because they sold their data to the US.
>>
>>913298
>Did Japan deserve it?

Not as much as Moscow
>>
>>913298
Your question is nonsensical.
>>
>>913298
Did the citizens?
>>
>>913642
Don't fuck with people who can turn you into a burned shadow on the stairway.
>>
>>914234
An uprising slips your mind when you think your leader is divine.
>>
>>914234
How autistic do you have to be to type all that greentext? You sound like 12 year old trying to be edgy.
>>
>>914513
How lame do you have to be to criticize it?
>>
>>914137
Should have bombed government institutions instead of innocent peoples
>>
>>916169
Then how would you rebuild the country?
>>
>>914513
nice argument
>>
>>913571

The death toll was about 80,000 immediately. If you count radiation sickness and ancillary effects, I believe most estimates range from 90-140,000, nowhere near a quarter of a million.

HIroshima was also the headquarters of Haka's second army, and thus the defense of pretty much all of southern Japan. You had tens of thousands of troops inside (mostly support and command personnel, not rifle toters), and was a considerable stockpile of their war supplies.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041011111052/http://www.nuclearfiles.org/redocuments/1946/460619-bombing-survey1.html

What university do you go to?
>>
File: 1455579268616.png (326 KB, 1413x538) Image search: [Google]
1455579268616.png
326 KB, 1413x538
>>
No, but they didn't deserve to have their entire country razed to the ground and split between the Soviet Union and the Western Powers either, which is what a SUCCESSFUL land campaign would have resulted in.

Really, Japan was in a no-win position as soon as they lost their foothold in the Pacific. No matter what, the ending was going to be devastating for them.
>>
No, but it was the best course of action for Japan and America.
>>
>>916384
Realistically, they did what Nazi Germany should have done at the end of 1944 - realized they're fucked regardless and the best course of action is to surrender to the Western Allies lest they get figuratively and literally raped to death by the Soviets.
>>
>>913561
>stick to accepted means
Leveling cities from the air was perfectly accepted at the time.
>>
File: 1C0BFAC1.png (597 KB, 1380x820) Image search: [Google]
1C0BFAC1.png
597 KB, 1380x820
>>913298
>start a war against another nation
>commit multiple war crimes
>be upset when said nation hits back
>>
I've heard some truthers say that it didn't happen and it was actually a firebombing.
>>
>>914137
Fucking this. Completely disregarding the revenge factor for all of the innocent lives they took in China (Fucking 8 million at the highest estimate) the bomb was the quickest and most humane way to end the war seeing as the Japs weren't going to give up any time soon.

Isn't it fucked up when a bomb is the most humane solution?
>>
>>913571
>Goes to a Japanese Museum.
>Expects objective history.
You just went full retard anon.
>>
File: atomicpepe.png (2 MB, 1221x1459) Image search: [Google]
atomicpepe.png
2 MB, 1221x1459
>>913298
Yes
>>
>>913298
I broke up with my Japanese girlfriend by text the other day. Funny thing is I had to send the text twice for it to sink in.

They only get it when you drop the bomb twice.
>>
File: dr-strangelove-rodeo-bomb.png (70 KB, 350x241) Image search: [Google]
dr-strangelove-rodeo-bomb.png
70 KB, 350x241
No. This has been established for quite some time.

In what George Carlin diagnosed as the Bigger Dick Foreign Policy problem, Truman committed the heinous act of disintegrating two Japanese cities – and for what? A show of force to Stalin, who was committed to a much-dreaded (on both sides of the Pacific) invasion of the island nation. Thus mutating the end of history’s most destructive war, which should have been a time of reflection and quiet celebration, into the Half-Century Dick-waving Contest (known to the politically-correct as the “Cold War”).

http://www.poleandpaddy.com/?p=241

This is also a great read: http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/30/the-bomb-didnt-beat-japan-stalin-did/

Also, remember that Truman never said he used the bombs in order to get Japan to surrender. That lie didn't creep up until 1947.
>>
>>918074
t. useful idiot
>>
>>918085

Sadistic jingo.
>>
>Punishing thousands of civilians for what a few Japs decided to do
>Killing innocents to win a war
>Effectively introducing nukes to the world and kicking off the cold war

No they didn't deserve it. Nobody ever deserves a nuke into their country.
>>
File: You-Erd-Me.jpg (21 KB, 320x268) Image search: [Google]
You-Erd-Me.jpg
21 KB, 320x268
>>918107

What's worse is that it was treated as an experiment. It was evil from top to bottom.

Little Boy and Fat Man were two different types of nuclear weaponry, used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki respectively. The US Military Complex wanted to see which one was more effective against human targets.

And, of course, it had the added benefit of putting the fear of God into those Godless Soviets.
>>
>>913298
It was necessary for a clean allied victory
>>
>>918127

Says the guy who has obviously never read a history book ever.
>>
>>913298
who gives a shit if they deserved it? it doesn't matter.

What is the difference between dropping 1 bomb and destroying a city and dropping 50000 bombs and destroying a city? (which the US did that spring with Tokyo)
>>
>>918140
There is a lot of difference the results may be the same but the process is completely different , you are treating people lifes as numbers ignoring the concept of soldiers, innocents and much more.
>>
File: EvKL.jpg (9 KB, 202x316) Image search: [Google]
EvKL.jpg
9 KB, 202x316
"The dropping of the atomic bomb on a populated center was a totally superfluous crime. Even if callous arguments for the annihilation of Hiroshima could be made, there was no necessity for the slaughter in Nagasaki, cradle of Japanese Christianity. Within a split second the bomb wiped out one eighth of Japan’s Catholic Christians. Here the argument resurfaces—Truman wanted to impress the Soviets, just as Churchill had with Dresden. But how could any butcher impress the arch-butcher from the Caucasus? Not even the late Adolf Hitler had succeeded."
- Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn
>>
>>914137
Even if that justified it, wouldn't ONE bomb be enough?
>>
>>913298
No
>>
>>913298
No but your mom deserved her bombing last night :^)
>>
Japan didn't deserve it. I am a proud Asian-American of Chinese descent and even though the Japanese military visited terrible atrocities upon my proud people, Japanese are also fellow Asians and thus my brothers-in-arms against the white men who are trying to take our women.

The atomic bombs were just another excuse for white men to invade an Asian country and rape their women. US foreign policy in Asia is completely driven by the desire to plunge white cock into yellow pussy, is it any coincidence that America has fought every East Asia country in the past 100 years? The end goal has always been "me luv u rong time" so America pumps countries like South Korea full of plastic surgery so they can achieve the American beauty ideal.

Open your eyes gwai lo, you know it to be true.
>>
>>919137
>von Kuehnelt-Leddihn
Germs butthurt as usual.
>>
>see this video
>read the book journalistic book Hiroshima
>nope
>nope
>nope

Never again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdmfPThGZ-s
>>
File: 1458481973207.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1458481973207.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>919161

This post is of very nice baits, very well joked Anone!.
>>
>>919143

The Japanese had their own attempt at a nuke program but heavily overestimated the required amount of radioactive materials needed. They actually believed that we could only get enough material for one bomb so to them it wasn't a big deal. when the second one dropped rather quickly afterward...that is when the oh shit factor kicked in.
>>
>>919161
there is so many things wrong with this statement im just hoping this is bait
>>
>>913298
No,

We should've just nuked their command and control centers on Kyushu (the Matsushiro facility specifically) and delivered an ultimatum to the Emperor threatening to destroy cities if they didn't surrender.
>>
File: 8773346366_8735dbfb43_z.jpg (206 KB, 640x537) Image search: [Google]
8773346366_8735dbfb43_z.jpg
206 KB, 640x537
>>913571
>That city had essentially no military population whatsoever

>At the time of its bombing, Hiroshima was a city of both industrial and military significance. A number of military units were located nearby, the most important of which was the headquarters of Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's Second General Army, which commanded the defense of all of southern Japan,[106] and was located in Hiroshima Castle. Hata's command consisted of some 400,000 men, most of whom were on Kyushu where an Allied invasion was correctly anticipated.[107] Also present in Hiroshima were the headquarters of the 59th Army, the 5th Division and the 224th Division, a recently formed mobile unit.[108] The city was defended by five batteries of 7-cm and 8-cm (2.8 and 3.1 inch) anti-aircraft guns of the 3rd Anti-Aircraft Division, including units from the 121st and 122nd Anti-Aircraft Regiments and the 22nd and 45th Separate Anti-Aircraft Battalions. In total, over 40,000 military personnel were stationed in the city.[109]

lol
>>
>waaah waaah muh innocent lives

Humanity has never cared about the deaths of innocents in it's entire history.

Why should this be different?
>>
>>921875
But that's not true at all.
>>
File: shut it down us soldier.png (527 KB, 610x370) Image search: [Google]
shut it down us soldier.png
527 KB, 610x370
>>919161
The Yellow Peril know...
>>
>>921880

Oh we whine and we cry and kick up a stink about it. But we never do anything about it. We're incapable to do so.

You don't really care at the end of the day.
>>
>>921889
Woah, did you see that? Those goalposts seem to have suddenly changed places! How'd that happen?
>>
File: victor charlie got cucked.jpg (19 KB, 432x331) Image search: [Google]
victor charlie got cucked.jpg
19 KB, 432x331
>>919161

>You will never take a Japanese wife after beating her previous husband to death with a Shovel on Peleliu as Marine Raider
>Her sideways pussy will never give birth to your Hapa children.
>You will never return to the Jim Crow United States with your new wife, using your status as a war hero to tell segregationists to fuck off.

Feelz bad man
>>
>>913298
Yes. Keep in mind that they were planning on releasing viruses unto America. They would've literally done much worse to America if they had the tools and the chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cherry_Blossoms_at_Night
>>
>>921950
While I think that the nuke was justified and necessary, "we warcrimed them before they could warcrime us!" Is an absolutely terrible excuse. It's as bad as white trash chimping out on niggers while claiming to be better than them.
>>
>>921976
I said I thought it made sense not that it was justified. No crime is ever justified.
>>
>>913797
>millions of dead Americans, even more deeply entrenched hatred of Japs among American public, Ruskies spreading communism to Japan too

naw m8, they needed the nuke.
>>
>>921995

>Russkies spreading communism during Downfall

uwotm8? Yes, the one division they could maybe sealift on borrowed American transport would totally have taken over all of Hokkaido. Go look up the Kuril Islands "campaign". Even with Japan in absolutely fucked tier, they still managed to wreck a third of their invasion fleet against some barely held islands. Hitting core Japan would have been way tougher.
>>
>>914464
Thiiiiiiiis.
>>
>>919137
How about the fact that the Japanese had every opportunity to surrender after the first bomb? Was the entire Jap government in a coma for three days?
>>
>>922016

Not him, but the Japanese government was dysfunctional to the point where I'm not even sure you should call it a government by western standards. There were multiple attempts by hardliners in the military to stop the historic surrender, first by resigning people in the cabinet, and then by attempting to take the Emperor into "protective custody".

They weren't so much in a coma as they were deadlocked by elements within the establishment who simply would not surrender but couldn't be dismissed for their idiocy.
>>
>>922003
That's fair, I guess with the planning/logistics burden on the side of the western allies they could dictate the extent to which Soviet troops occupied Japan. I was thinking about the fact that with the Soviets declaring war on Japan the western allies would try to use their troops as cannon fodder. But by this point, Truman and Churchill would have been thinking in terms of keeping the Soviets out.
>>
>>913298
probably
>>
>>919137
So it's not okay because some Christians were there? Nice argument and trying to be a humanist.
>>
>>913298
no
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.