[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How were people tattooing themselves before tattoo machines were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
How were people tattooing themselves before tattoo machines were invented?
>>
>>910644
needles and dye, you can get them done like that today if it's your fantasy
>>
The famous poke and stick method. It's still done today. You need a needle and some ink or dye.
>>
>>910644
I imagine it caused some bad infections since sterilizing equipment would be minimal and not much thought of
>>
File: Tatau.jpg (233 KB, 653x446) Image search: [Google]
Tatau.jpg
233 KB, 653x446
The Polynesians and maori used these kinds of tools. The spikes are made of bones. They work by tapping the head repeatedly with a stick.
The Japanese had something quite similar too.
>>
>>910644
Celtics painted themselves m8. Not tattooed.

I don't think anybody in Europe did tattooing. Closest I could think of were the Scythians and they hover between Europe and Asia.
>>
>>912897
Ru's were tattooed according to Ahmad ibn Fadian
>>
>>912900
Yeah but that could be influence from the Slavs who in turn were influenced by all the Steppenigs and their tattooing ways.
>>
>>912907
>influence from the Slavs

no shit they were Slavs
>>
>>912897
>I don't think anybody in Europe did tattooing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

>Ötzi is a nickname given to the well-preserved natural mummy of a man who lived around 3,300 BCE, more precisely between 3359 and 3105 BCE, with a 66% chance that he died between 3239 and 3105 BCE.[2] The mummy was found in September 1991 in the Ötztal Alps, hence the nickname "Ötzi", near the Similaun mountain and Hauslabjoch on the border between Austria and Italy.

>Ötzi had a total of 61 tattoos, consisting of 19 groups of black lines ranging from 1 to 3 mm in thickness and 7 to 40 mm long.[22] These include groups of parallel lines running along the longitudinal axis of his body and to both sides of the lumbar spine, as well as a cruciform mark behind the right knee and on the right ankle, and parallel lines around the left wrist. The greatest concentration of markings is found on his legs, which together exhibit 12 groups of lines.[23] A microscopic examination of samples collected from these tattoos revealed that they were created from pigment manufactured out of fireplace ash or soot
>>
>>912922
Well whatever it was, the practice seems to have dropped off under the time of civilizations only to show up again with European Sailors.
>>
>>912938
What even is this response, am wrong but right later on?
>>
File: tattooschreiber-dep34.jpg (21 KB, 400x248) Image search: [Google]
tattooschreiber-dep34.jpg
21 KB, 400x248
>>912897
>I don't think anybody in Europe did tattooing

>Ahmad ibn Fadlan wrote of his encounter with the Scandinavian Rus' tribe in the early 10th century, describing them as tattooed from "fingernails to neck" with dark blue "tree patterns" and other "figures."[15] During the gradual process of Christianization in Europe, tattoos were often considered remaining elements of paganism and generally legally prohibited.

It's not like the Europeans were unfamiliar with tattoos. They just didn't become in vogue until sailors rediscovered it in the new world. Steppe nomads, who often interacted with Europeans were tattoo'd.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>912861
The Japanese used something very similar. But instead of being shaped like a rake or a hoe, it was more like a spear. Horiyoshi III is famous for his skill with this traditional technique.
>>
>>912897
A lot of ancient (especially primitive and barbaric) people tattooed or scarified themselves but dropped the practices when they became civilized.
I think it has to do with having access to more material goods to express themselves/display status, so body modification loses its main function. No point in tattooing your chest when you can wear the silk robe of your office, not point in deforming your cranium when you can wear a crown.
>>
>>916325
>Rus'
>Scandinavian
>>
>>910660
>>910668

which is also less painful than machine tattoos if done by a skillfull artist
>>
File: 4.jpg (84 KB, 663x570) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
84 KB, 663x570
>>910644
The needle/dye method everyone's bringing up ITT is very common in prisons.

Infinite Jest, while fiction and not /his/, has an entire chapter about tattoos and regret, and they cover the process by which one gets a prison tattoo in pretty humorous depth.
>>
>>918201
But Anon, Rus where Norsemen for the most part, and would have had their roots in Scandinavia.
Russia was a hilarious melting pot of cultures, but it would be vikings giving them the name of their future nation.
>>
>>910644
Amongst dark fold scarification was a thing.
>>
>>916361
It apparently hurts like a goddamn bitch, more so than other traditional tattooing.
>>
>>920588
Or you could just watch Mark of Cain.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.