[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Germans become such a large portion of America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 2010 America ancestry map.jpg (2 MB, 4200x2258) Image search: [Google]
2010 America ancestry map.jpg
2 MB, 4200x2258
Why did Germans become such a large portion of America?
>>
A lot of them were protestants fleeing the Christians in Europe. That combined with the incentives of 19th century march to the west for immigrants to consolidate the land made it possible for a lot of Germans to move to America.
>>
>>902322
Aren't most German-Americans catholic?
>>
>>902319
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_revolutions_of_1848%E2%80%9349

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-Eighters
>>
These kind of maps don't account density so the picture they give can be misleading,
>>
>>902322
You mean catholics.
>>
>tfw you live in that one brown dot in western Missouri
>>
>>902325
nah, martin lutheran is what the germans usually gravitate towards, you would know if you ever went offline.
>>
>>902325
No. Catholicism is smaller than protestantism in the u.s.
>>
Wow, /pol/ wasnt bullshitting about minorities.
>>
>>902319
Free land
>>
>>902325
As I've observed, that often tends to be families whose ancestors came to the USA during the Industrial era and later, along with the influxes of eastern Euros n such. The older "German" families seem to be more Protestant, but also have been in the USA for much longer, and not really adhere to explicitly German heritage anymore.

Note, however, that this is just my personal insight, not statistical or anything of fact.
>>
>>902319
>Mexican or Spanish
I think it means "Mexican AND Spanish".
>>
>>902448
Mexican-American =/= Spanish-American
>>
>>902460
Mexicans are ultimately from Spain. Virtually none of those people indicated on the map are directly from Spain.
>>
File: spain.png (1002 KB, 1168x344) Image search: [Google]
spain.png
1002 KB, 1168x344
>>902483
>>902319
Most of the blue is vacant land.
>>
>>902319
Anglo heritage became uncool
>>
>>902483
Spanish-Americans, not Mexican-Americans, are the majority in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>902319
A lot of the people who identify as German are actually like half or 14th German. In general, Anglos are under counted while other Europeans are over counted because people for whatever reason like to identify with their most "exotic" ancestor. Even 100% Anglo Southerners try to get in on this by claiming Cherokee descent.
>>
>>902507
Protip: In that case, "Cherokee" = Black
>>
>>902483
The Southwest has a substantial number of people whose ancestors came directly from Spain to the Southwest and only spent like twenty years under Mexican administration. They are different than the mestizo and indio people currently migrating from central and southern mexico
>>
>>902507
That was more the case 10 years ago. if you compare the 2010 with 2000 census, you say way less German.
>>
>>902515
How would they be Spanish when they were colonized just like Mexico and they rest of Latin America?
>>
>>902507
brits are about as exotic to us as irish aka it doesn't matter. we're mongrels, but the people like to claim a specific european ancestry.
>>
>>902515
>The Southwest has a substantial number of people whose ancestors came directly from Spain to the Southwest and only spent like twenty years under Mexican administration. They are different than the mestizo and indio people currently migrating from central and southern mexico
No, they had people who were mestizo who called themselves Hispanos.
>>
>>902483
You do realize there are multiple different ethnic groups in Mexico right?
>>
>>902507
I think its because its most likely those who self-identify on census as "White American" but not as "English American" or "British American" underplays Anglo-Saxon descendants.
>>
>>902319
I know that after the failed Revolution of 1848 a lot of German liberals wanted to move to America. Wisconsin even put advertisements in Germany.
>>
>>902501
The fuck are you even talking about? The peach regions represent Americans from Mexico who are ultimately from Spain, but not directly from Spain.
>>
>>902752
What's your point?
>>
>>902334
Germans still make up the largest group. 17% or something.
>>
>>902941
That you are retarded.
>>
>>902319
They're hardly that large, most of that blue area is fucking empty.
>>
>>902507

Its the Anglos own fault for letting their culture die out.
>>
>>902319

Good land and political stability

Why stay in Germany when there's a war every other week and people are still pissed off that you're a lutheran or a catholic in the wrong place when you can take your wife to the fertile plains of Nebraska, build a farm, and make a life for yourself?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.