[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the coolest thing in the Dark Ages? Can be person, event,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 51bM4v1VXvL.jpg (34 KB, 349x500) Image search: [Google]
51bM4v1VXvL.jpg
34 KB, 349x500
What was the coolest thing in the Dark Ages? Can be person, event, culture, buildings, peoples/armies, etc.
>>
The fact that it didn't exist is pretty cool
>>
>>893812
it did after rome and before charlemagne
>>
>>893812
Upvoted
>>
>>893820
'no'
>>
>>893806
I actually liked this series when I first saw it on TV. Anyone seen it recently? Does it hold up still?
>>
E g i l
g
i
l
>>
>>893820

no
>>
>>893830
>>894087
Got any primary sources from in between the fall of the roman empire in the west and the rise of the Carolingian empire?
>>
>>894098

It's an established fact, go look it up.
>>
>>893812

de-Romanization was awful for western Europe. It resulted in economic collapse, urban decay, decline in quality of manufactured goods, and a slew of other negative effects.

The only people who get upset over the term 'dark ages' are prissy Frankophile academics with their heads stuck way too far up their asses.
>>
>>894098
Ur mum's pussy
>>
File: 7646149.gif (207 KB, 768x1223) Image search: [Google]
7646149.gif
207 KB, 768x1223
The Merovingians ruled much of present-day France and Germany between the fifth and seventh centuries. The beginning of this time coincides with not only the Grail stories, but with the era of King Arthur.

The Merovingians had a reputation for the occult and the supernatural. They were looked upon as priest-kings, much as the Egyptian pharaohs were regarded.

One of the abiding symbols of the Merovingians was the bee. Hundreds of pure gold bees were found in King Childeric's tomb.

Since the time of Clovis I, the Merovingian kings of France have been the rightful heirs to the senior crown of Europe - that of the Holy Roman Empire, although that right has not always been recognized.

The title that Clovis and his descendants were originally given by the Pope when the covenant between the Vatican and the Merovingians first began in 496 A.D. was “New Constantine”, giving him secular authority over the choicest bits of Roman Catholic Europe, just like the authority which the namesake of the office, Constantine, had once enjoyed.

Constantine had been the “thirteenth apostle”, and was responsible for the incorporation of Roman Catholicism into the Roman institution. He was therefore also a priest-king, holding spiritual dominion as well as secular dominion, just as previous Roman emperors had done. However, when later Merovingian kings began to exhibit a desire to exercise their own spiritual authority, it sparked a chain of events that culminated in the assassination of Dagobert II, the last effective Merovingian king, and the loss of the title “New Constantine” for his descendants.
>>
>>893806

The time when the Clasic Greece birth.
>>
>>893806
Plague
>>
>>894123
>de-Romanization was awful for western Europe.
Yeah! Just imagine the horror of monks preserving and contributing to previously established writings. The sickening sight of new kingdoms forming and the corrupt/ineffective roman system being done away with. Ugh.

>The only people who get upset over the term 'dark ages' are prissy Frankophile academics
Or anyone who doesn't suck the cocks of enlightenment "historians".
>>
The formation of kingdoms and empires has always fascinated me during the Dark Ages, especially France, England and the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
File: nords.jpg (326 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nords.jpg
326 KB, 1920x1080
vikings.
>>
The music.

>Music makes its appearance as the last plant among all the arts which grow on the soil of a particular culture—perhaps because it is the most inward and hence arrives last, in the fall, when the culture which belongs to it is fading. Only in the art of the Dutch masters did the soul of the Christian Middle Ages attain its last vibrations: their tone architecture is the posthumous, but legitimate and equal sister of the Gothic. Only in Handel's music did there resound what was best in the souls of Luther and those related to him, the Jewish heroic trait that gave the Reformation a trait of greatness—the Old Testament become music, not the New. Only Mozart transformed the age of Louis XIV and the art of Racine and Claude Lorrain into ringing gold; only in the music of Beethoven and Rossini did the eighteenth century sing itself out—the century of enthusiasm, of broken ideals, and of evanescent happiness. All true, all original music, is a swan song. Perhaps our latest music too, however dominant and domineering it is, has but a short span of tune ahead of it: for it developed out of a culture whose soil is rapidly sinking—a culture which will soon have sunk out of sight.
>>
>>894098
There are actually quite a few, just obviously not as many as the periods before and after.

e.g. Gildas, Braulio, Cassiodorus, Bede
>>
File: into.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
into.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>894357
>enlightenment "historians"

You're entitled to your opinion but fyi it sucks
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.