[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I don't believe in god, but I believe there's 'something'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: Winy the poop.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
Winy the poop.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>I don't believe in god, but I believe there's 'something'

when will this meme end?
>>
File: 110.jpg (34 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
110.jpg
34 KB, 992x744
>>890896
>>
>>890896
What do you mean by this?
I don't believe in God but I don't say it's not possible. If there is it is unlikely one from any past or current religions.
>>
>>890927
"I believe there's 'something'"
is the most void thing ever, yet everybody in my surounding gives this reply when I ask them about their faith.
>>
>>890961
I imagine it's really just people saying they don't like the idea of institutional religion, but still want there to be something divine. Sure, it's vague - but I imagine most people just don't dedicate a huge amount of thought to it until they're about to die.
>>
>>890896
Probably because the idea of God has been twisted into the Abrahamic idea where the mere word is so attached to the idea that it is merely simpler to say "something" rather than have to explain what they truly believe.
>>
>>890991
>it's vague - but I imagine most people just don't dedicate a huge amount of thought to it until they're about to die.
that's exactually why this meme needs to end.
>>
>>891016
>that's exactually why this meme needs to end.

Yeah bro. Ban thought.
>>
>>891002
(Continued)
Take for instance Daoism, the belief centers on the Dao, or the path, everything comes from the path in a similar fashion to God, but to call it God implies personality akin to most as the Abrahamic God. So it's easier to call it "something" rather than possibly confuse or conflate it with the Abrahamic concievement.
>>
>>891016
>that's exactually why this meme needs to end.

Le edgy fedora man hellbent on enlightening people off their foolish ways meme needs to die.
>>
>>891029
>God implies personality akin to most as the Abrahamic God
not necessarily, unless you're surrounded by proletarians

most people will understand that you also could be talking about (for instance) a spinoza type of god.
>>
>>891031
>anti-intellectualism is a good thing
wew lad
>>
>>890896
When people learn first principles
>>
>>891043
Exactly, but if isn't specified the person may well be your average yokel so it's safer to assume and go with what most would call "God".
>>
>>891137
(Continued)
And from my own experience most always think I'm talking about Yahweh when I talk about "God" so I just resort to saying "something" and diverting the issue.
>>
File: Spinoza free zone.jpg (100 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
Spinoza free zone.jpg
100 KB, 400x299
>>891137
>>891145
fair enough, my surrounding is more Spinoza oriented so it really depends on the people you're talking bout
my main problem in the op was not the usage of the word 'something', but rather the vagueness because when you ask them what they mean, they just start stuttering

also:
>tfw when living next to the synagogue from which Spinoza was banned
>>
File: 1457162752273.jpg (130 KB, 1258x1050) Image search: [Google]
1457162752273.jpg
130 KB, 1258x1050
>>890896

Why is it so hard for people to not believe there is ''something'' out there? It's not like you know for real, and your beliefs are based on nothing but mere feeling about what you would like the Cosmos to be like.
What's the point of belief without knowing for sure, what the hell is your belief helping you with?
>>
>>890896
I don't understand the agnostic point of view. It gives credit and consideration to a point of view that deserve none. Of course no one can prove God isn't real, but keeping it as a possibility is as silly as giving serious consideration to the idea that there is an immortal guy orbiting around Saturn in a metal bubble.
>>
>>891185

>there is an immortal guy orbiting around Saturn in a metal bubble.

Can you prove he is not real? no? Then shut up.
>>
>>891192
What about a giant purple box of unmeltable plastic orbiting Saturn, bet you hadn't thought of that!
>>
File: 1455896360619.png (222 KB, 391x352) Image search: [Google]
1455896360619.png
222 KB, 391x352
>>891201

It's all real, the Box spoke to me. It said masturbation is evil and it watches us do it.
>>
>>891208
haha epic!!! XD
>>
>>891208
I believe you!
What should we do now? Should we start telling people about it? Write a book?
>>
>>891185
God as the being/mechanism/ultimate reality that presupposes manifestation. God understood in this sense is absolutely not equivalent to positing the existence of le ebin purple monkey dishwasher orbiting saturn
>>
>>891219
Why call it God then?
>>
>>891169
Cool to see that you live in a pretty chilled area where God is not totally linked to Allah or Yahweh.

>tfw you lecture an average Christian for five minutes on the distinction between their God and your concept only for them to say "why don't you go to a true bible believing church like mine?"
>>
>>891216

Yes, we must conquest and spread our religion throughout the world! Kill those who dare insult Boxism! THE INFIDELS WILL BE SQUARED IN HELL! BOX WILLS IT!
>>
ITT: Atheist get BTFO

Christians win
>>
File: ri23.png (351 KB, 511x480) Image search: [Google]
ri23.png
351 KB, 511x480
>>891289
FFS we told you to stop doing that yesterday.
>>
I don't necessarily believe in God either and I do believe there's something out there that is equivalent to God. Because there's something out there that made us and this universe, even if it doesn't recognize itself as the creator, is good nature to honor that creator even if the creator doesn't recognize we are honoring it. Since Christianity is the most major religion with standardized practices, I don't feel the need to start my own religion or try to make some religion the new major one. I might as well join the majority in their celebratory practices, worship the creator whether it be their God or not.
>>
>>891208

I confirm this. The Box sent a plastic angel to me.

Hail Box.
>>
>>891306

It's settled.

Atheist cannot disprove god, they are mad.

/thread
>>
>>891362
>what is burden of proof
>>
>>891391
Tons of links, sources and articles have been posted supporting God.

The ball is in your court, retard.
>>
>>891413
Where have they been posted, nigger?

If you're referring to links posted on other threads, websites that say the Bible is true because of what it says in the Bible are not adequate to fulfill the burden of proof.
>>
File: lel.jpg (60 KB, 388x532) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
60 KB, 388x532
>>891413

I love this little guy. He makes these threads hilarious.
>>
>>890896
Believing in God (if you're referring to the Christian God) is a very specific and oddly contradictory thing to put your faith in. Believing in "something" implies believing in some thing or event (whether it is a "being" or not) spurred the universe into existence. But, as human beings with a perspective limited by both time and space, we can only ever have little to no insight about that which is eternal, infinite, and divine.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.