[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: rijks-winter-landscape.jpg (362 KB, 1600x918) Image search: [Google]
rijks-winter-landscape.jpg
362 KB, 1600x918
What is art?
>>
>>888626
The attempt to express something.
>>
Subjective interest and / or fascination for a manufactured work.
>>
A meaningful definition of art must involve it having intrinsic worth otherwise it's just a descriptive word for arrangements of matter which make for a rather boring discussion.
And since i'm a strict utilitarian that only attributes intrinsic worth to happiness, i'll defend that art diesn't exist
>>
video games
>>
>>888631
Art is not interest or fascination, it's the work itself, also too broad of a definition.

>>888641
But art can express happiness and/or bring joy to the observer.
>>
>>888626
A beautiful creation.
>>
This post is an art
>>
>>888626
Artistic.
>>
Anything with subjective value beyond inherent practical use.
>>
>>888626
For a long time art meant the same as a "craft". For example, making pictures and sculptures was more about selling them and having them was largely to show off your wealth.

Then there's art, as we know it, which is essentially an expression of an idea or an emotion, distinct from expressing the said idea or emotion through direct communication (plain speech, text or body language and such).

And then there's Aesthetics, and beauty in general. You can make art for it to be beautiful and generate pleasurable feelings for people. Which is basically appealing to some primitive instincts and associations which help people survive. For example, a naked woman body is beautiful, because it tells people that they should pursue it so that they can mate.
>>
>>888626
Art... art is fart.
>>
File: Art.jpg (61 KB, 559x349) Image search: [Google]
Art.jpg
61 KB, 559x349
>>888626
>>
Art has the same function a beautiful nest has for birds. It's to attract the ladies
>>
>>888626
Baby don't hurt me
>>
>>888626
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
>>
File: Elizabeth_Idle_Stance.gif (113 KB, 229x381) Image search: [Google]
Elizabeth_Idle_Stance.gif
113 KB, 229x381
A depiction of:
>an event
>one's feelings
>a fantasy
>autism
take your pick
>>
>>892966
don't hurt me
>>
Birds are art.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>888626
anything that doesn't #trigger me personally
t. /his/ posting autist
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 470x299) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 470x299
This is no longer possible to answer. Beginning with Modernism, art was unshackled from figural representation; beginning with Duchamp's fountain, the banality of art was indexed to the banality of reality, which Baudrillard notes is a "chiasmus lethal to both." This new condition of things is inescapable - "anti-art" can mean nothing if the aesthetic has colonized banality itself.

Contemporary art is nullity, the entire world is aestheticized, and "old" art can only circulate on the level of semiosis or integral reality, instead of the level of symbolic exchange.
>>
>>888626
>What is art?

Baby dont hurt me!
>>
>>888627
a smile is art?
>>
art encompasses all objects/things that someone chooses to display to others, with which they had some hand in influencing the way that objects appears/exists.
>>
>>894515
>art can only be objects
>>
A simulation of both she senses and the thought.
>>
>>894478
>This is no longer possible to answer.
Unless we just disregard all the bogus "abstract art" bullshit from the 20th century, then it's fairly easy to. We just have to return to the greater sense of art that Nietzsche had.
>>
>>894508
Acting
>>
>>895724
Two things. Abstraction at the time of Modernism wasn't "bullshit," it carried immense formal excitement and power. Only in the late twentieth century did it become redundant. Second, the entire point is that there is no "going back," you cannot return to an earlier aestheticism once everything has been aestheticized. To try to do so is misguided nostalgia, or worse, reactionary. Art is now an empty signifier.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.