[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't World's Fairs a thing anymore? Yes they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
Why aren't World's Fairs a thing anymore? Yes they exists but no landmarks are getting built because of them, no groundbreaking inventions or spectacles. Not to mention that beautiful art.
>>
Nobody gives a shit because the world moved on as technology changed, World Fair still happens.

http://www.milanworldsfair.com/
>>
>>885351
Just become a civ leader and enact a resolution
>>
File: 1413462052364.png (17 KB, 633x772) Image search: [Google]
1413462052364.png
17 KB, 633x772
What if I told you that most of the groundbreaking inventions that man is capable of have already been invented?
>>
>>885351

Because new inventions are shown immediately and doesnt take weeks to travel so if you are seriously interested in the thing you can just travel to their offices.
>>
>>885351
>Yes they exists but no landmarks are getting built because of them, no groundbreaking inventions or spectacles. Not to mention that beautiful art.
Because we have advanced communication networks nowadays that we dont have to gather like cucks in one place to show off.

Besides, it still happens. I remember the last two ones were in Shanghai and in Milan.
>>
>>885351
>but no landmarks are getting built because of them
Dude they built a whole new district in Milan for the last one.
If you mean, why don't we build stuff like the Eiffel tower anymore, that's about modern architecture more than the world fairs themselves.
>>
File: Dinosaurs1.jpg (211 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs1.jpg
211 KB, 640x440
>>885478
Well some remnants of the old fairs today serve as a time capsules. It's really amazing that such things exist. Here for example is our link to Sir Richard Owen and the "introduction" of dinosaurs to the world. We'll see if anything from modern fairs and expos survives.
>>
>>885351
Because now entire industries have their own little fairs for new technology and stuff where they release information or elaborate on press releases. Computer tech for instance has Computex Taipei which is one of the biggest conventions in the world. Other industries that involve new inventions and engineering do similar shit.
>>
File: 1457651488609.jpg (79 KB, 569x813) Image search: [Google]
1457651488609.jpg
79 KB, 569x813
>>885351

No one really cares anymore. Back then people believed that humanity was going somewhere with all these new technologies. Automobiles, airplanes, mechanical calculators, and other things.

Look at all the science fiction from previous eras: stories with hover cars, space travel, time travel, etc.

Science fiction now is all dystopic: AI will kill us all, nuclear war, environmental damage, et cetera.
Technology seems to be a threat to us now, and that sentiment is growing (not dominant, but growing).

It feels like we are reaching a technological plateau. Most tech breakthroughs are now the occasional "I can add even MORE RAM to my computer? WOW!"
>>
>>886229
>It feels like we are reaching a technological plateau. Most tech breakthroughs are now the occasional "I can add even MORE RAM to my computer? WOW!"
3D printers
Vat-grown organs
Nanotech
Artificial limbs
Robot cars
Robotics in general
Advancements in AI
Commercial space travel
And other cool shit I don't know of 'coz I don't even actively look for it
>>
>>886229
>plateau

Bullshit, technology is growing exponentilly if anything. Compare the advancement of 1900-2000 to 1800-1900 to 1300-1400.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.