[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ has this thing for Greek literature. Can we make one for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
/lit/ has this thing for Greek literature. Can we make one for Philosophy? Maybe even ones for Economy and Law?
>>
>>884305
Philosophy is very exhaustive and long.

Consider that the entire Greek literature list itself would be as long as an extensive list of how to cover Greek philosophy, which would really only be about 5-10% of the total philosophy. Plus this board conists of a few experts and a few extremely opinionated anons that have probably never read a philosophy book. Can you imagine what would happen when we get discussing that should be one the list to the 20th century philosophy?
>>
>>884305
>not learning ancient greek to read the texts
I'm ashamed, this is low even for /lit/.
>>
>>884372
>Plus this board conists of a few experts and a few extremely opinionated anons that have probably never read a philosophy book

And what is /his/ exactly?
And isn't the /lit/ chart suffering from the same reductionism? No one said anything about an exhaustive list.

>Not trying to be argumentative, just looking for a basic path to begin with
>>
/his/tory has this:

http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
>>
>>884305

We could maybe do separate analytic and continental charts rather than try and do one basic one.
>>
>>884305
This is the start of western philosophy...Not only greek literature - anyway:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit
>>
>>884556
>And what is /his/ exactly?
A place where everybody does his own thing at his own pace and has his own personal library based on his own personal studies and interests.

Consider making a chart for online resources:

- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy for philosophy
- Theoi.com for Greek mythology
>>
>>884305
>Can we make one for Philosophy
its really hard to justify any particular starting point

although I suppose basic Ethics would be as good a place as any. to that end I guess you would want grounding in Consequentialism, Deontological Ethics and Virtue Ethics
>>
>>887895
So what specific literature exists in those areas that give a good basic understanding of those concepts?
>>
>>886793
i've opened up more articles for viewing for anyone interested.
>>
>>886793
>http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

Favorited. Thanks Anon
>>
>>887893
>http://www.iep.utm.edu/
>http://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html

These are really good. I mean this is basically what I was looking for. Some way to familarze my self with the topics and concepts of philosophy, and these provide full articles on those. I guess know would be a path of concepts to start exploring?\

>>887895
Seems a good place to start as any
>>
Bumperino
>>
>>884305
>economy
>in b4 list with twice as many books on austrians than anyone else
>>
dunno exact translation but KELSEN; PURE TEORY OF LAW, for the law section obvs. is a must have, also short read
>>
>>888991
Even my philosophy profs at uni source plato.stanford.edu un their lectures.
>>
File: frog.png (246 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
frog.png
246 KB, 550x535
>It's another eurocentrism thread
>>
>>891211
Fuck off John Green.
>>
>>891211
The world is Eurocentric, with some Asian inbetween.
>>
The Pre-Socratic are optional desu, get the complete works of Plato and Aristotle, then you can move on to the Romans when you're done
Even the complete works are optional though, for Plato I would say
Apology
Euthyphro
Crito
Phaedro
Meno
Sophists
Statesman
The Republic
The Laws
And for Aristotle
Physics
Metaphysics
Politics
On the Soul
Nicomachean Ethics
>>
>>886793
thanks
>>
>>884372
>Philosophy is very exhaustive and long.
What a useless non-answer.

What are the major schools of philosophy, what are two or three seminal books from each school, classical then modern, then compile a short (2-5 bullets) list of further reading.
>>
>>892943
This tbqh fama. Or at least the concepts they discuss
>>
>>892845
>Meno

This dialogue fucked my shit up very nicely.
>>
>>887849
We should have a more complete version of this in the sticky desu
>>
File: Start_with_greeks2.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_greeks2.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>
File: Philosophy.jpg (3 MB, 2948x5020) Image search: [Google]
Philosophy.jpg
3 MB, 2948x5020
>>884305
I had saved this flow chart-y pic from a post, a while ago. It's pretty exhaustive but since no one posted one...
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.