[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DO WHAT THOU WILT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: Aleister_Crowley.jpg (189 KB, 1084x1512) Image search: [Google]
Aleister_Crowley.jpg
189 KB, 1084x1512
>DO WHAT THOU WILT
>>
This guy is still alive, he's curently residing in a doorless building at Academy City
>>
Spoopy occult-reject tryhard. yawn
>>
>>883681
Well, the thread's a shitpost, but have you actually gone through his records and diaries? He was hardly an occult reject, I mean dude was a Cambridge educated chemist, who declined the degree despite completing it, he's one of the better educated dudes we've had in the last 100 years of occult theory.

There's a huge repository of his material in my thread with the library.
>>
>>883681
edgy bro!! you seem like a smart person with a loved and valid opinion!!!
>>
>>883704
he went from hermeticism to "dude just cum/shit on this cracker and eat it"
he was a fucking hack and inadvertently responsible for LaVeyan school and all the faggots that produced
>>
>>883737
The Esoteric Order of the Soggy Sao
>>
>>883704
Dude he studied lit but dropped out before getting a degree. Shouldve sticked to mountaineering, he was bretty good at that
>>
>>885612
He started as philosophy but re: chemistry, completed it hanging out with Allan Bennett and JC Jones, and their friends and secular students, it's a footnote to the big biographies and the wiki material that he was more or less a lazy faggot and just sorta hung around doings well in courses he didn't need to graduate. The dropping out was a declination of any of the shit he was qualified to take. By the time he'd got turned on to the first couple degrees of the GD he'd come to the (at the time) correct assumption that he was just going to keep funneling money into a college education he wasn't going to use in the face of going balls deep into mysticism.
>>
File: CS-Lewis-2.jpg (258 KB, 1483x1220) Image search: [Google]
CS-Lewis-2.jpg
258 KB, 1483x1220
>>883660

Al, pls go. Nobody likes you.
>>
>>885632
>>885612
I remember reading Crowley biography him entering Chess tournament (He was pretty talented in that one too) and he kind of was disgusted with the whole deal or some sort and did not have passion for playing chess anymore in competitive level
>>
Hate him or love him, certainly one of the more interesting figures from 20th-21st century.

Openly bisexual, homosexual, advocate of psychedelic substances, drugs. All of this in a very Puritan Victorian English setting. He had balls, you cannot deny that.
>>
>>885778
That's sorta the story of the guy in a nutshell. I ain't saying dude was a Newton level genius, just that he was a polymathic personality and better educated than the vast majority of occultniks that have cropped up since he was born through now.

Dude had plenty of flaws and isn't quite a person to emulate but it's really hard to argue that dude was out of his depth when you go through his unpublished commentaries on like Liber L or Liber 333 or certain diaries, etc.
>>
>>885782
>advocate of psychedelic substances
http://lib.oto-usa.org/crowley/essays/ethyl-oxide.html

http://www.academia.edu/13121964/Aleister_Crowleys_magical_use_of_Anhalonium_Lewinii_peyote_mescaline_

http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/i/eqi01015.html

>homosexual
The idea that he was a full blown fag is hard to buy, he had wives and kids and mistresses. He's just the sort to not care what's in your pants once they're off.
>>
>>885787
>unpublished commentaries on like Liber L or Liber 333 or certain diaries, etc.

Do you have these on your occult libri? Would really be interesting on these
>>
>>885804
Sure do, they're in:
>A.'.A.'.>Crowley>Yorke Microfilms of the Warburg Collection
The topmost folder as listed above has an index of materials in the Warburg's own cataloging system. I've named the folders to mirror the stuff in the Warburg index, so you can open the index, hit ctrl+f, enter what you're looking for, look up the folder number, look up the reel number, and boom, you're right there.
>>
>>885813
It would be interesting if some version of Magical Diary of The Hermit of Aesopus Island would magically turn up somewhere.

Crowley's "adventures" in America are in my opinion one of the more interesting periods of his biography
>>
>>885814
Straight out of the Autohagiography:

>British occultist Aleister Crowley reported witnessing what he referred to as "globular electricity" during a thunderstorm on Lake Pasquaney in New Hampshire in 1916. He was sheltered in a small cottage when he "noticed, with what I can only describe as calm amazement, that a dazzling globe of electric fire, apparently between six and twelve inches (15–30 cm) in diameter, was stationary about six inches below and to the right of my right knee. As I looked at it, it exploded with a sharp report quite impossible to confuse with the continuous turmoil of the lightning, thunder and hail, or that of the lashed water and smashed wood which was creating a pandemonium outside the cottage. I felt a very slight shock in the middle of my right hand, which was closer to the globe than any other part of my body."
>>
>>885817
Even though I do not doubt Crowley witnessing unexplained phenomena through the years, I've always smirked at some stories found in his autobiography. Ie. witnessing (goblins?) on a mountain glacier or story of Oscar Eckenstein wandering in london and entering a house, later to find out such adress do not even exist and the house in which he had been was abandoned for several years or some sort.
>>
>>885787
Still cant forgive him for those garbage tier greek and hebrew grammatical errors. It hurts me to read
>>
>>885817

psychedelic drugs maybe?
>>
>>887324
I mean, maybe, could just be a lie, or could be a thing he truly thought he saw. IIRC Charles Fort's material on ball lightning was popular when AC was just a wee edgelord.
>>
>>883660
>EXCEPT WHEN MI5 SAYS NOT TO

Charlatan fraud whose dick people i.e >>883704
still seem urged to stroke.
>>
I've always had great respect for Crowley in his uncompromising attitude to all things spiritual and material things.

For example, he did not respect that much the Buddhist efforts of his mentor Allan Bennot, but "extracted" chemically speaking, the analytical aspects of meditation and tried to make it more intelligble for western views of mental/spiritual alchemy. To synthesize eastern views with Western hermeticism so to speakl

Such doctrine itself is so hard to grasp and it may be easier to "stick to one tradition" and absorb the whole terminology. Crowley's magnum opus for me has always been "777", even though most of the correspondences have been straight out borrowed from Golden Dawn attributions.

From a tradtiionalist pespective, he was one of the late pioneers of Western Hermetic Tradition.
>>
>>887638
I would also like to add that most of the biographies and articles on him tend to concentrate on his personal flaws and personal life.

Never judge a man by his flaws, but by his Work.
>>
>>887638
>For example, he did not respect that much the Buddhist efforts of his mentor Allan Bennot, but "extracted" chemically speaking, the analytical aspects of meditation and tried to make it more intelligble for western views of mental/spiritual alchemy. To synthesize eastern views with Western hermeticism so to speakl
It's the Buddhism he rejected, not the effort. While he was living with Bennet in India for a few months, he wrote a diary fragment on "Saivite Yoga" which he seemed much more interested in.

>Crowley's magnum opus for me has always been "777"
I like Libri 65 & 7.

>From a tradtiionalist pespective, he was one of the late pioneers of Western Hermetic Tradition.
From a traditionalist perspective, he taught people how to extract rituals from material like Coming Forth by Day and Greek Magickal Papyri.
>>
why read him
>>
>>887658
>It's the Buddhism he rejected, not the effort. While he was living with Bennet in India for a few months, he wrote a diary fragment on "Saivite Yoga" which he seemed much more interested in.

The method itself is supreme. Especially in the Eastern traditions, such simple exercises as the Trataka or Buddhist "annihilation of thought forms" has been the most supreme comfort to me; personally in Meditation practices.

I've always reminded of this quote by Crowley
> Allan Bennett's account was less of a strain upon Aleister
Crowley's faculties of belief. They had had, he said, an argument
about the God Shiva, the Destroyer, whom Allan Bennett worshipped
because, if one repeated his name often enough, Shiva would one day
open his eye and destroy the Universe, and whom Mathers feared and
hated because He would one day open His eye and destroy Mathers. Allan
Bennett closed the argument by assuming the position Padmasana and
repeating the Mantra: "Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva."
Mathers, angrier than ever, sought the sideboard, but soon returned,
only to find Allan Bennett still muttering: "Shiva, Shiva, Shiva,
Shiva, Shiva." "Will you stop blaspheming?" cried Mathers; but the
holy man only said "Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva,
Shiva, Shiva, Shiva." "If you don't stop I will shoot you!" said
Mathers, drawing a revolver from his pocket, and levelling it at Allan
Bennett's head; but Allan Bennett, being concentrated, took no notice,
and continued to mutter "Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva, Shiva."

True concentration annihilates all things from it's way.
>>
>>887707
Crowley, in turn, went on to pull a gun on Eckenstein at K2, iirc.
>>
>>887701
You truly have almost no reason to unless you're interested in esoterica, in some capacity.
>>
Since Julius Evola has been pretty relevant on /his/, I might aswell share article written by Evola on Crowley

http://www.gornahoor.net/library/EvolaOnCrowley.pdf

Evola's and his mentor Guénon's letter exchange itself is pretty paranoid. Guénon was seriously contemplating on the possibility that Hitler was some secret advisor to Hitler and he was some kind of "unknown" force behind Hitler's rise to power.

>http://www.gornahoor.net/?p=4693
>To come back to Aleister Crowley, what you told me reminds me of the story that turned up in 1931 (I believe at least that was the exact date): while he was in Portugal, he suddenly disappeared. They found his clothes on the border of the sea, something that made them believe he had drowned. But it was only a simulated death, since they were no longer concerned about him and did not try to find out where he had gone. Actually, he went to Berlin to play the role of secret adviser to Hitler who was then at his beginning. It is probably this that had given rise to certain tales about the Golden Dawn, but in reality it was only about Crowley, because it does not seem that a certain English colonel named Etherton, who was then his “colleague”, had ever had the least relationship with that organization.

- Letters from Guenon to Evola (X)
>>
>>887770
*Crowley was some secret advicer to Hitler
>>
>>887770
>>To come back to Aleister Crowley, what you told me reminds me of the story that turned up in 1931 (I believe at least that was the exact date): while he was in Portugal, he suddenly disappeared. They found his clothes on the border of the sea, something that made them believe he had drowned. But it was only a simulated death, since they were no longer concerned about him and did not try to find out where he had gone. Actually, he went to Berlin to play the role of secret adviser to Hitler who was then at his beginning. It is probably this that had given rise to certain tales about the Golden Dawn, but in reality it was only about Crowley, because it does not seem that a certain English colonel named Etherton, who was then his “colleague”, had ever had the least relationship with that organization.
>>887780
What actually happened was that AC had faked his own death to impersonate Fernando Pessoa for a solid while.

Tobias Churton covers that quite a bit in his biography; if you don't want the standard nonOTO anti Crowley material or the OTO's obviously favorable biographies.
>>
dude heroine and egyptian gods lmao
>>
>>887780
True. And an OSS/CIA operative.
>>
>>887780
>>888066
So, how do you account that we know what he was doing at the time he was alleged to be advising Hitler? Which was pretending to be Pessoa?

I don't think AC was CIA but I have a strong suspicion that Parsons and Hubbard were tattling on each other to the FBI.

Germer thought the FBI was flying planes over his home out in the California desert after being released from the concentration camps.
>>
>>888081
I thought it was well known. Let me check for a cite.

The cites look rather weak. I can't remember where I first read it. How odd. I think it was a book on the Illuminati/mk ultra/mind control?
>>
>>883660

I have no problem with that statement.

>AND PAY THE CONSEQUENCES THEREOF

needs to follow it.
>>
>>888099
tbqh, AC's primary citation situation is a clusterfuck. We have diary gaps. We have conflicting reports.

I would not be surprised to find out he was taking OSS greenbacks while writing for Fatherland.
>>
>>888123
You mean like:
"Love is the law, love under will" as per Liber L Ch. 1:51? Which itself routes through the Confessions of Augustine (Love, and do what thou wilt?).
>>
>>883673
How do I ask him for a Misaka clone?
>>
>>887324
They probably contributed to his illusions but in the end Crowley was in his own illlusory world and he knew it.
>>
>>885817
That's some stalker anomaly shit
>>
File: reverend.jpg (28 KB, 500x159) Image search: [Google]
reverend.jpg
28 KB, 500x159
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.