[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Catholic cultures more inclined to irreverance (in casual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (18 KB, 450x352) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
18 KB, 450x352
Why are Catholic cultures more inclined to irreverance (in casual idioms and profanity) than Protestant cultures, yet less inclined towards atheism?
>>
>>880287

What kind of person is inclined to make jokes, banter, etc?

A normal person.

Protestants are basically culturally autistic, hence the uptightness and regimented thinking patterns.
>>
File: Autism-Intensifies.jpg (32 KB, 502x417) Image search: [Google]
Autism-Intensifies.jpg
32 KB, 502x417
>>880287
>swearing in a casual setting is irreverence
>>
>>880351
This.
>>
What does a Protestant culture look like? All of them have become multicultural secular states. I find it hard to take seriously the notion that there is such a thing as a distinct Protestant culture, desu.
>>
File: morpheus_meme-www.memegen.com.jpg (15 KB, 512x306) Image search: [Google]
morpheus_meme-www.memegen.com.jpg
15 KB, 512x306
>>880351
>>
File: image.png (110 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
110 KB, 1136x640
>>880467
This
>>880287
Catholics are more inclined to the use of foul language than most Protestants because they know that God will not sentence them to eternal damnation (hell) for saying a "bad word." In Catholic theology this is understood as a venial (non-deadly) sin and is not required to be confessed to a priest in order for this sin to be forgiven. Most Protestants on the other hand have little to no basis for differentiating between the gravity of various sins, and thus they are generally more uptight, rigid without the guidance of the fullness of the Catholic faith.

pic related
>>
>>880450
http://www.scuolitalia.com/1/wiki/profanity.htm
porco dio[10] : Literally "God (is a) pig/filthy"; there is no meaning-equivalent in English. An expression somewhat similar, just for the frequency of its use, is goddammit.
dio maiale: God (is a) pig.
dio cane: God (is a) dog. In Venice and Veneto dio can (spelt this way according to local dialect) is the most common bestemmia.
dio merda: God (is a) shit.
dio merdoso: shitty God.
dio boia: God (is an) executioner; roughly equivalent to bloody God. Used mainly in Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity
>Quebec French profanities,[1] known as sacres (singular: sacre; French: sacrer, "to consecrate"), are words and expressions related to Catholicism and its liturgy which are used as strong profanities in Quebec French or joual, the main language variety of Canadian French, and to a lesser degree in Acadian French spoken in Maritime Provinces east of Quebec. Sacres are considered stronger than the foul expressions common to standard French which centre on sex and excrement (such as merde, "shit"). For other French-speakers, sacres may have no meaning at all.

http://youngadventuress.com/2012/12/swear-spanish.html
>This one was bigger in southern Spain than when I lived in the north. La hostia means “the host,” you know, like in communion. Spain being a thoroughly Catholic country, one of the worst and most common ways to curse is to somehow incorporate the holy mother church.
>>
>>880351

Not surprising given the country protestantism comes from.
>>
>>880686
>one of the worst and most common ways
Damn, those Spaniards don't fuck around.
>>
>>880450
of course it is okay to swear when you have no vocabulary, aka when you come from the middle class.
>>
>>880722
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>880698
Finland? Prots wuz mongolz and shietz?
>>
File: image.png (102 KB, 280x209) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102 KB, 280x209
>>880698
>the Holy Roman Empire
P.S. Luther was an intolerable cunt and had a reputation for blaspheming the Lord

Here are just 2 examples:
“Christ committed adultery first of all with the women at the well about whom St. John tell’s us. Was not everybody about Him saying: ‘Whatever has He been doing with her?’ Secondly, with Mary Magdalen, and thirdly with the women taken in adultery whom He dismissed so lightly. Thus even, Christ who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died.”

“I have greater confidence in my wife and my pupils than I have in Christ”

And, no, sadly I'm not making any of this up.

>take this video as evidence and feel free to verify its content yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2Hyve-kwg
>>
>>880351
this
h
i
s
>>
>>880287
Because they're poor lmao
>>
>>880722
You've got it all wrong. The lower classes swear overwhelmingly more than the middle and upper classes. This is because they're uneducated and don't have the verbal ability or the social environment to be more creative in their thoughts.

Compare any Protestant country in Europe, for instance, with any Catholic country when it comes to education and standard of living. Catholicism puts the well-being of the priest before the well-being of the flock.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.