[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We talk about the greatest empire in history.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 9
File: 1446337413833s.jpg (10 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
1446337413833s.jpg
10 KB, 250x249
ITT: We talk about the greatest empire in history.
>>
inb4 hordes of byzantineboos and GROSSGERMANIUMS
>>
Poor man's Rome
And Rome was far from the greatest.
>>
Not even the greatest muslin empire
>>
oh look, bait
>>
Literally a meme empire

"Man you know whats cool? Rome. I wish we could be like them"
>>
where my ottobros at
>>
>>9000
to give credit since the time of Justinian, it was always a longing for the past
>>
Turk here

Ottoman Empire was the worst thing ever happened in Turkish history.
>>
>>9111
checked
>>
>>8799

Literally the worst fucking empire ever
Every country under it became a lazy shithole
>>
>>8799
Sardinia was never conquered by t*rks
>>
>>9201
the map is insanely wrong,
>>
>Iceland was Muslim clay
Something's fishy with this map
>>
>>9263
a danish captain who served for ottomans actually raided iceland and sold 6000 or 7000 women/men to Ottomans
>>
>>8799
The British Empire? Yeah it was pretty cool gotta admit.
>>
>>8799

>Ottomans

Being beaten by the tiny nation of Portugal on their own home ocean count as great?

Avoiding direct confrontation with western European armies count as great? The main reason they never conquered Austria is because they had to wait each time for Austria's armies to be deep in France to try anything on Vienna.

And their most iconic technical accomplishment, the mega canon that took down Byzantium, was actually hungarian.
>>
>>9720
Ottomans actually managed to piss off europeans for a long time since Battle of Nicopolis in 1300s (they beat combined HRE and French army in that battle) and Ottoman military technology was really good
>>
>>9720
Just a bunch of dirty street shitters that fucked little boys and married little girls. Disgusting savage brutes and a disgusting unvicilised empire.
>>
>>9720
Are you 16 or just retarded
>>
>>9000
That's... pretty much every single big state back in Middle Ages.
>>
>>9846
Why are Persians eternally butthurt about Turks?
>>
>>9846
This is blatant racism.
>>
>>9817
Do you really have to ask? Probably another dumbass who looked up a couple battles on wikipedia and now thinks he knows the entire military history of the Ottomans.
>>
>>9846
>First trip I've come across in this board
>Shitposter

Keep your /int/posting out you fuckers.
>>
File: SirCostanza.jpg (44 KB, 720x503) Image search: [Google]
SirCostanza.jpg
44 KB, 720x503
>>9833
>every big state was the holy roman empire
>>
File: shahnameh.jpg (84 KB, 300x459) Image search: [Google]
shahnameh.jpg
84 KB, 300x459
>>9872
the autistic fight between turks and persians is an ancient thing

pic related.
>>
>>9720
>their own home ocean
But the Indian Ocean wasn't their home ocean, the Mediterranean was. To even fight the Portuguese they had to take Mediterranean ships over the Suez.
>>
>>9800
>rome fucks boys, tiberius has his child harem
pinnacle of western civilization
>ottokeks do the same
hurr savages
>>
Persian Safavid Empire helped Hapsburg fight off the Ottoman Empire (look Hapsburg-Persian alliance)
>>
>>9940
Nope, there were states with bigger claim on Rome, like the Eastern Roman Empire :^)
>>
>not roma
>>
>>8799
Most fedora-tipping feudal system in history
>>
British Empire.
/thread
>>
>>9963
Romans were degenerate faggots, God struck down their satanic empire just like he struck down the ottoshits
>>
>>9969
Safavids were Turkic.
>>
>>10012
This, no other empire ever held as much land, or had as much global military might.
The sun never sets on the British Empire.
>>
>>10000
>>
>>10014
if god struck them why they were at their peak while they were boy fucking and pagan and they began to decline when they become Christian?
>>
>an empire of sand
>>
>>9872
Persian here. Everyone in Iran is assmad at Turks, Arabs, et al. for shit they did (with a touch of revisionism) ages ago. They still call Alexander "Iskander the terrible" for fuck's sake, these people can hold a grudge like no other
>>
>>10075
thats dune m8
>>
>>8799
ottomans were in iceland?
>>
>>10075
>Sand
Oh god please get the fuck out from our butifel board.
>>
>>10065
Ask God, fag.
>>
Why did they start ww1?
>>
apologize for the armenian genocide
>>
>>8799
The Ottomans just stole from the Byzantines.
>>
>>10094
That would be an empire of Spice.
>>
>>10098
>>9310
>>
>>10104
you mean Allah*, fellow shitposter
>>
>>10001
Just like the Roman Empire, your attempt was good but not good enough to get quads
>>
>>8799

Oh look I conquered a bunch of niggers, the empire
>>
>>10038
The dynasty in power was Turkish, sure, but that's like saying Elagabalus' Rome was Syriac: the people as well as the official language/culture were Persian.
>>
>>8799

>inherit one of the greatest civilizations in the world at the time
>literally make 0 significant achievements
>reduce it to the shit hole it is today
>>
>>10120
>implying the slaughter of aremenian fucking shits was a bad thing
Ali pls go.
>>
>>10098
Some Danish Christian pirate converted to Islam then raided Iceland. Pure bantz.
>>
>>10172
That's like... Nearly every empire
>>
>>8799
Ottomans were really good for a while since all the major trade routes ran through their empire but once yurops figured out how to sail around Africa and found that there was this vast unexplored land called America, their days were numbered.

You can't compete with European states which owned vast tracts of resource rich land when your own empire consists mostly of deserts and your economy relies on taxing now defunct trade routes.
>>
>>9201
>>9224
I'm pretty sure that map is showing all of Dar Al Islam circa 1250, not just the Ottoman parts?
>>
>>10181
Just like the Byzantines
>>
>>10142
allah is just God in shitskin speak. I don't speak shitskin.
>>
>>9800
every great civilization in history has fucked little boys. The decline of pederasty in the modern west is just another reason why it's become decadent as fuck,
>>
>>10181
italy.jpg
>>
>>10181
Inherit what? They just inherited some nice architecture and a city ruined because of a master ruseman named Enrico Dandolo.
>>
>>10199

which is why the turks are not special at all
>>
>>9953

Are you geometrically impaired? You can't read a basic map?

Heck you even mention Suez holy shit. That should tell you.
>>
>>10203
This. Their collapse was purely economic. You can't compete with Europe while they bathe the market with dem New World gold.
>>
>>10294
ottomans were probably the worst enemies of europeans that managed to beat countless holy leagues. they're kinda right about being "special"
>>
>>10258
you will soon enough,
>>
>>8889
same
>>
>>10343
Well you're already speaking English so I guess we win.
>>
File: Seljuk_Empire_locator_map.svg.png (341 KB, 2000x1220) Image search: [Google]
Seljuk_Empire_locator_map.svg.png
341 KB, 2000x1220
Their ancestors were so underrated
>bordered china and greece
>triggered crusaders
>ebin horse archers
>>
>>8871
>>8889
doubt
>>9111
kek
>>9029
rh bro
>>9720
12yr old as fuck
>>10083
truu
>>
>>10402
TURKIC
U
R
K
I
C
>>
>>9782

This is the only example people have brought up. But the Ottomans fighting a rag tag of french knights with no direction, that the king dumped there to get rid of so he could seize their lands, is the only significant land victory they ever had against western powers.

>Hungarian
>Western

They had to wait until Hungary was in the midst of a civil war to try anything, ironically. And they almost got beaten back by Serbs, of all pathetic poor shitholes.
>>
>>10330
Not just gold, but any resource that you can think of.

America also had so many unique products like maize, potatoes, chocolate, and tobacco that it made anything offered by the Ottomans seem plebeian in comparison.
>>
>>10419
>kek
did you try so say the c word?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelali_revolts
>>
>>10330
>dem New World SILVER.
ftfy
>>
>>10318
>geometrically
Do you mean geographically?

The Ottomans hadn't even conquered Egypt by the time the Portuguese were already conquering in the Indian Ocean.
>>
>>10382
you seem to ignore the "will" part. you will speak spanish soon enough
>non hispanic whites are %63
tip top kek
>>
>>10473
>hurr durr i'm being retarded
Ottomans fought against HRE and Spain for a long time. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>10514
I don't live in kekmerica Senpai, shitskins can't touch me I'm behind 7000 fences
>>
>>8799
Why the FUCK is Iceland green? wtf
>>
Ottomans really caused a lot of damage to Southern Europe... They took in a lot of female slaves.

Dang, that's kind of brutal.
>>
>>10330
What made them poor and irrelevant like much of the Mediterranean was the rise of Western European economic domination, but what made them collapse was their administration which degraded and became nothing more than tax farms for local dynasties that did nothing but enable Ottoman debt and eventual default after default.
>>
>>10493
>Removing Shia Alevis
>bad
>>
>>9817
>>10419

>No Arguments
>Resorts to cheap insults on an anonymous image board.

With the barely articulated posts you pull through my guess is that English is not your first language.

Could you be perhaps... turk?
>>
>>9720

Well, USA got beaten by vietnam and sitll being called "super power"
>>
Nope
>>
>>10585
Ottomans kidnapped many slaves from Europe. In north, their mongol brothers, tatars, kidnapped russian/ukrainian women
>>
>>10603
filter'd
>>
>>8799
It stagnanted and was on the path to death as soon as it stopped expanding just like every other Islamic empire/caliphate before it.
>>
No seriously. WHY is Iceland green? How could you fuck up THAT bad?
>>
>>10645
for fucks sake>>9310
>>
>>10618

Why are Persians hated moreso then?
>>
>>10645
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Abductions

The map is just a meme.
>>
>>10683
elaborate your sentence please
>>
Why they never conquered Saudi Arabia?
>>
>>10618
>>10585
It was fine because you could go down to your own local Mediterranean port to buy yourself an Ottoman slave if you wanted.

It only really bothered people when it stopped being tit-for-tat around the end of the 18th century and the Mediterranean pirates were systematically wiped out by Napoleon leaving the Moors without any rivals.
>>
>>10744
they kinda did
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman%E2%80%93Wahhabi_War
>>
>>10716

Why are Persians hated more than Turks? Turks caused an unbelievable amount of damage to Europe.

Persians never kidnapped women into being slaves or whatever. In general, they have been more diplomatic than Turks, yet there seems to be more resent towards Persians from the West.

Even right now Turkey supports ISIS.
>>
>>10512

Ottoman Portugese naval wars : 1538-1557

Selim is the one who brought down the Mamelukes, if you know about your own country's history you should know that this predates the conflict in the Indian ocean by a long shot.
Portugese took control of the Persian gulf away from them, which they owned prior to the start of hostilities. Basra was taken in 1538.
>>
Why the fuck Ottoman threads always get shitposted by butthurt slavs and racist /int/ dregs? It's an emipre which has permanently marked it's name (and still affecting somehow) in the history for more than 400 years. Why some people still can't get over it?
>>
File: 450-.jpg (536 KB, 1810x1280) Image search: [Google]
450-.jpg
536 KB, 1810x1280
ITT: We trigger the Turk
>>
>>10764

Well, every map i found show arabia was not.
>>
>>10788
because we're not in 1600s anymore.
>>
>>10631

>names
>trips
>filtering names

How is it working newfag. Unfamiliar with the feature? Ignore doesn't work quite like reddit unfortunately.
>>
>>10744
>>10764
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman%E2%80%93Wahhabi_War

That's a lot later in history.
>>
>>10829
saudi arabia is full of sand m8. you couldn't really control the dune in their times
>>
>>10788
persians did tremendous damage to Byzantine empire and raided, looted, enslaved thousands.

many cities and towns in anatolia were abandoned way before arab raids due to persian aggression.

you only hate kebabs more because they are far more recent in history and persians were at their peak far before turks were.
>>
>>10875
i sense butthurt
>>
>>10683
If you mean the modern Iran policy, then it's Israel calling for Western action, whereas Turkey is pretty cool with Israel as far as I'm aware of, or at the very least they're submissive towards them
>>
>>10829
There isn't a lot there except Mecca and Medina and those cities were controlled by Hashemites. They were kinda "autonomous".
>>
>>10812
They were the last threat against European Hegemony, not Chinese, not Arabs, not Mongols (they were but before Turks) but them. Hence the burn is still recent. Even though the empire was rotting since the start of 18th century, they cannot get over the fact that they might have been under their hegemony.
>>
>>10341

>ottomans were probably the worst enemies of europeans

Nope. The worst enemies of Europeans were Europeans.

The Ottomans took advantage of a fractured Europe to fuck around the edges of Europe. The Ottomans were never European tier and when Europe got its shit together they smashed the ottomans again and again, eventually cutting up their empire and taking control of it themselves. Turks were idiots in the right time and place, that is all.
>>
>>10810
>your own country's
Making a log of assumptions here.

And the Portuguese were in the Indian Ocean by 1503. They didn't show up to fight Ottomans, the Ottomans showed up and started expanding someplace that was newer to them as it was to the Portuguese.

It was by no means a 'home ocean'. The Turks were a Mediterranean power. Hell Basra wasn't even an Ottoman holding until over a century after the Portuguese were attacking it.
>>
>>10900

Sassanids were Zoroastrian though, so it's okay. It was noble aggression. It was the fury of fire.
>>
>>10922
Before ErdoÄŸan, Turkey had good relations with Israel.

Common folk never really liked them because of "muh Palestine" ofc.
>>
>>10956
Can we please ban underages from this board permanently?
>>
>>10788
That's because Turkey isn't being controlled by hypocritical mollas (yet). You guys are basically being ruled with sharia.
>>
>>10812
>always
They're fine on other boards, /his/ is just so new that it's mostly swimming in /int/ and /pol/ for now. Let it sit and see who remains after the novelty wears off.
>>
>all these butthurt
10/10 thread op well done
>>
>>10956
that depends, they won some of the European holy alliances, they lost others.
>>10971
tell that to the thousands of Christians they persecuted.
>>
>>11008
I doubt they will leave, this place will be /pol/ with dates.
>>
>>11022
>they lost others
they only lost "1683" coalition i think.
>>
>>10788
Recent history with the Iranian Revolution, that's really it. No one outside of Classical history nerds would even know what a Persian was beyond that.
>>
File: photo[2].jpg (52 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
photo[2].jpg
52 KB, 512x512
>>8799
The fucking board exists less than a day and it's already rife with memes.
>>
>>11002

But Turkey supports ISIS! Only Iran and Russia are fighting off ISIS.

Iran was better pre-1979... In the beginning of revolution it was pretty bad, but now it's stabilizing and getting gradually better. I'm pretty sure it will get reforms soon and improve once more.
>>
>>11022
>tell that to the thousands of Christians they persecuted.

Zoroastrians > Christians

It's okay to be persecuted by Zoroastrians because they're not Muslim.

Besides, Christianity is like a different sect of Zoroastrianism with Abrahamic mythology sprinkled on top.
>>
>>11008
Ok i see. But it's kinda ironic seeing basement dwellers with unemployment pay shitting up on other cultures and people. Hopefully we'll be able to see more knowledgeable people in the future
>>
>>11066
Turkish foreign policy is bad, they as you said support ISIS because they think they are a small nuisance compared to the Kurdish rebels which they think a greater danger.

But for all its foreign policy fuck ups turkey is way better than iran, they don't have any Basij terrorizing the locals, yet.

>>11102
not sure if you are baiting or really delusional.
>>
>>11066
>But Turkey supports ISIS!

Turkey doesn't, government does. We hate those scums as much as you do.
>>
>>10913

>butthurt turk

Got btfo by everyone, even kurds
>>
>>11145

I was baiting.

At least Iran has contributed more to the sciences than Turkey. Look here:

" According to Scopus, Iran ranked 17th in terms of science production in the world in 2012 with the production of 34,155 articles above Switzerland and Turkey.[171]"

What have Turks accomplished? Nothing...

Even Iranian Americans and Iranian Germans have accomplished more than Turkish migrants.

All I'm saying is Persian culture is superior to Turkish culture. Turks were savages prior to Persianate influence. It's the truth.

Pick Ahura Mazda, not Allah.
>>
File: 1411477090066.jpg (218 KB, 1298x1316) Image search: [Google]
1411477090066.jpg
218 KB, 1298x1316
>all this butthurt

success breeds jealously
>>
>>11235

here's more on Iranian academic output.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_and_technology_in_Iran#International_rankings

Iran > Turkey

Persian culture > Turkish culture

Ahura mazda > Allah
>>
>>11147
there is a difference between people and their government

nope.
Got a problem? Change you government. Till then, get ready for US dronefuck.

Cause it's coming.
>>
>>11235
>Pick Ahura Mazda, not Allah.
But all the greatest Persian scientists picked Allah.
>>
>>11235
We're both 3rd world countries bro, no need to get so butthurt about us.
>>
nope

The worlds greatest Empire is the Russian Empire
>>
>>10995

I fukd ur mum m80
>>
>>11235
>raiding is okay because look we contributed
Therefore what Alexander the Great did to Persia and his burning of Persepolis is totally justified because Thales and Plato and Aristotle.

>All I'm saying is Persian culture is superior to Turkish culture. Turks were savages prior to Persianate influence. It's the truth.

It was but not now, one side has Basij the other side doesn't. I'm not even a Turk but come back at the discussion when you drop the Theocracy.

Today persia is shit and maybe thats why you cling to past so hard. I know I would too If I lived in a Theocracy.
>>
>>11235
turks used to be manichean for a short time i think.
>>
>>9310
raiding a country is not the same as conquering it.
>>10139
>>10672
don't refer to bullshit, if a bunch of barbarians raid a roman city, do the barbarians immediatly own that city? no, they don't, they just take what they want and leave, and that city will still be roman ground
>>
oh wow its like i'm really on /int/
>>
File: 1392317168225.gif (532 KB, 700x490) Image search: [Google]
1392317168225.gif
532 KB, 700x490
>>11329
Sure thing, burgerfriend.
>>
>>11430
we know the map is bullshit.
>>
non shit ottoman thread here

>>6137
>>6137
>>6137
>>
>>11403
>Today persia is shit and maybe thats why you cling to past so hard. I know I would too If I lived in a Theocracy.

Well even with sanctions and brain drain it makes a lot of scientific contributions.
>>
>>11484
>shilling for your thread
fuck off
>>
>>9111

translation:

>Armenikek here
>Ottoman Empire was the worst thing ever happened in Armenikek history.
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.