[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you had the chance to gain eternal happiness, that is, an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: 1386939146-maw.jpg (606 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1386939146-maw.jpg
606 KB, 2448x3264
If you had the chance to gain eternal happiness, that is, an existence from there-on-out of only happiness and no worries. Would you go for it?
I mean, would you give up lifes ups and downs, knowing that you would be absolutely happy that way? I don't want to argue about what your personal definition of happiness is, the way the total bliss is achieved doesn't matter in this. I am talking about the achieved state/feeling of happiness with an eternal duration (imagine a fairy wish or somesort of everlasting drug). This could mean that you just freeze in your tracks and never move again: no boredom, no regrets, no worries, no reason to change anything, no reason to think or talk, because nothing bothers you and there is nothing more to gain. why would you say 'no'?
>>
No, you can't know true happiness without true sadness, you can't know light without darkness. You can't know life without death.
>>
>>877638
I think that this could be argued. What if someone gained eternal life and after billions of years forgot what death means. Would that person not be still alive?
>>
>>877596
Yes, that's why I am a born again Christian. That is exactly the existence I expect to receive in the new earth. Dualism is for godless people.
>>
>>877654
I think if they saw death in other things that would be good enough to remind them. You can never escape duality, read hermes. Duality is constant, you can't have one without the other. One might fade but it won't disappear.
>>
>>877657
There was no dualism implied in the OP.
>>
>>877661
True but not useful.

>No, you can't know true happiness without true sadness, you can't know light without darkness. You can't know life without death.
>>
>>877665
To that end, where ever you start on your journey of autism is where you will end up. You might bounce around between sadness and happiness but eventually you will settle back in to where you started. You want to stay in the middle.

Funny, because in the bible god says he doesn't like fence sitters, but that's exactly what you have to do. Be an observer.
>>
>>877660
I'd like to challenge that. I think Dualism is something we like to construct, it's based on the way we think and categorize, not reality itself.
With a little more effort you could probably put everything into tripples instead of dubbles.
Like, you could divide light into bright and dark (black and white) or into red, green and blue.
>>
>>877686
I agree, be an observer, sit on the fence :p
>>
>>877692
how is that statement relevant?
>>
>>877707
You have to view light and darkness as an experience to be enjoyed.
>>
>>877713
Please elaborate.
>>
>>877756
If I strangled you till you passed out, you would gain a new appreciation for death and life right?

If I cut out your left eye, you would cradle your right eye and take special care of it.

That is what death teaches us, to value life.

I can't really elabourate on good an evil though, that is more elusive.
>>
I'd like to make a thing clear: I am not talking about religious things, I am not implying paradise or any other symbolic place/state with my postulation. I am talking about a passive existence in a perfect world where one never experiences anything but full satisfaction and happiness.

"But you would have to do things or feel other things in order to be happy"

I am not talking about a happy life, I am talking about the very moment of absolute satisfaction lasting forever. This means never again having any need for anything and not being able to regret agreeing to it afterwards.
>>
>>877776
That is an abstract concept though, that is what the religious folk call heaven or nirvana. It's oneness. You would have to learn to take pleasure in the good and bad. You can't just have all of one, because that would be non existence.

>I have been talking out my ass this whole thread, but that is my understanding of it.
>>
>>877790

I mean yea, it's impossible to achive, hence the fairy-wish scenario.
>>
>>877676
>Yes, that's why I am a born again Christian. That is exactly the existence I expect to receive in the new earth.

Are you okay?
>>
>>877794
I think it can be achieved, but you would wither and die if that were to happen. You need adversity or regret to know how to function.

Friction is what makes us what we are, the friction of duality. Friction even makes babies.
>>
>>877790
Do you realize you are saying that God is part evil?
>>
>>877810
Yes.

I wouldn't say the creator is evil, but time is.
>>
>>877817
You're saying God is part evil. Now you're introducing a new player, who doesn't even exist.

I think you are unwell.
>>
>>877810
No more religious talk in this thread please. This is purely all supposed to be thought experimentation.
>>
>>877831
>If you had the chance to gain eternal happiness

This is the message of Christianity.
>>
>>877823
yes, I have been trapped in the jewish pyramid made of pennies for a while now. Get the fuck out of here retard, as if you can speak of god.

We are made in gods image, there is good and bad in all of us. There is duality in everything. Therefore god probably has a mean streak.

If good was all good, he would not have created your concept of satan, which is simply your feeble brain trying to grasp at the concept of time and death.
>>
>>877841
god*

Anyways yes, anyone who speaks of god as if he didn't create evil is getting their brains into a mind loop, it's important to balance yourself, not be all of one, otherwise you are just full of shit.
>>
>If you had the chance to gain eternal happiness, that is, an existence from there-on-out of only happiness and no worries. Would you go for it?

Absolutely not. Happiness is a meaningless concept without sorrow. You cannot view one without the other. An existence of eternal happiness would literally be meaningless, as there is no hardship that comes before or after it.

If I had the chance of eternal variation between happiness and hardship, that I would take, maybe.
>>
>>877841
There is no evil in God, and there is no duality in nature. Nor, I fear, is there any sanity left in your soul.
>>
>>877863
Why did god create samael then? And lucifer for that matter. He put himself into those entities.

Silly christian, read more.
>>
>>877867
There is no samael. The angel we call lucifer was not created evil, but good. The highest angel in the assembly of angels. He did not make angels in His image at all.
>>
>>877804
I mean, that's partly my point. The moment you enter a state where there is no regret, urge, need or dissatisfaction possible anymore you are stripped of all motivation todo or change anything.

Let's turn this around: Suppose the proposed scenario has been your existence so far. Would you chose to bring dissatisfaction and sadness into it?
>>
>>877868
>>877867
>>877863
>>877853
>>877841
>>877836

Are you trying to ruin this thread intentionally?
>>
>>877868
So you are saying god didn't create the angels?

>>877870
No I would try to find a balance, or centre. As I said you need to stay in the middle. If you strive to be all goodness you turn into this guy. Does he seem good to you?
>>877868
>>
>>877883
Again: I am not talking about a happy life. I am talking about the state of total satisfaction.

The question was about if you would chose to bring things such as regret and dissatisfaction into your existance by choice, supposing that you never felt those things before.
>>
>>877892
I suppose I would then, because as I said there has to be duality or balance. All good is basically evil, and all evil is basically good.
>>
>>877896
But wouldn't you need a sentiment of dissatisfaction to make that choice? You would have to have a conscious urge for the feeling of dissatisfaction.
>>
>>877880
Can things without value be ruined?
>>
>>877907
That's why god put evil and good in people so we can make that choice for ourselves I suppose. The christians say god put his light in us, but the devil resides in us also.

Be careful not to loop your mind friend, you will go crazy.
>>
>>877883
God created the angels, and not in His image.

Only God is good.
>>
>>877926
The cross is the scales of judgement. If jesus was god, he killed himself, and went to hell.

Are you foaming at the mouth yet?
>>
>>877931
Not really. Your beliefs don't really effect mine.
>>
>>877943
My beliefs are basically the same, except you have a primitive understanding of them. Until you realize that god gave us the choice between good and evil you are basically a satan worshipper. Must be rough being catholic.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.