[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what the fuck is this guy actually trying to say?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1449851146975.jpg (83 KB, 1180x823) Image search: [Google]
1449851146975.jpg
83 KB, 1180x823
So what the fuck is this guy actually trying to say?
>>
Someone explain the "Christianity is more atheist than atheism" talk, because it just looks like someone misunderstanding both the resurrection and Darwin's place in the history of science and I can't imagine that is what is actually going on
>>
>>875794
fetishism of the hand which is the instrument of making/manipulation with the fetishism of the vagina which is the instrument of life, the combination or rather the interaction of the two gives insight into the fetish-perversion of the modernity, he explains it in one of the books
>>
>>875816

The idea is that, according to Zizek's materialist theology, Christianity consists in accepting that there is nobody who can take our place in caring for our fellow man, not even an abstract deity, because in Christian theology this abstract deity takes on concrete human flesh and dies. As for his take on the Ressurection, well, Zizek isn't a Christian, he's a Communist interpreting Christian theology to fill pages. That's where the basic structure of the claim that "Christianity is more atheist than atheism" falls apart: Christianity can't be atheistic, it's a matter of definitions. But, again, Zizek isn't motivated by a desire to be correct about Christian theology, or even about Marxist theory, desu. He wants you to buy his book about Hegel.

I have a very hard time taking psychoanalysis seriously. It might be because I don't even understand the context in which the discourse is meant to be employed.
>>
>>875794
He's just another moron claiming things were better in the past using some meaningless practice as evidence
>>
>>875794
So the hand is a partial object because it displays apparent consciousness and yet is ontologically and phenomenologically part of us. If it offends us we may cut it off, but then we experience it as a phantom.

It is "us" as "meat". Whereas the genital response is claimed to be "us" as consciousness embodied.

Fisting is then modern because the autonomous object penetrates a pure plane, instead of a genital penetrating a genital.

Do I need to explain why autonomous partial objects and pure planes are "modern" in capitalism?
>>
>>875826
>>875842
I'm not so much asking about this quote as I am about his worldview in general.
>>
>>875794
It sounds like he is trying to say that its not fistin until a wrist's in.
>>
>>875845
his views revolves around symbols
things represent other things it's hard to explain this reasoning without knowing what each represent
>>
>>875854
Could you be more specific?
>>
>>875835
Not to tip my fedora too hard, but psychoanalysis isn't too complex. Freud was diving into a field that wasn't really established and made a ton of mistakes in the process, but made important strides in very specific places. He was like a Chinese alchemist studying quicksilver, correctly noting both that it was a metal that was liquid at room temperature but also believing swallowing enough of it would grant immortality. The context of psychoanalysis is replacing "here be monsters" with "here be an impassable sea", replacing ignorance with knowledge that is incorrect but a closer approximation of the truth. The only problem is people continuing to use those maps instead of updating them. I really hoped the answer wasn't just "buy my book" but that seems to be the explanations for a lot of philosophers who make these sorts of statements.
>>
>>875845
>as I am about his worldview in general.
Before the mid 1990s, bland liberalism.
After the mid 1990s, bland marxism.

Generally: humans are burdened by their surdetermination as desirous.
>>
>>875858
Lacanian psychoanalysis seems different from Freudian psychoanalysis, even though it claims to be an update.
>>875859
What changed in the mid 90's?
>>
>>875857
it always goes back to the lacanian Other, what is individualized, what does not belong to the self etc.

why people vote against themselves, why they are blind by their roles and so one and how they have to do with sexual psychology ala freud

just remember he uses the tools of a specific school of psychoanalysis as a cultural critique
>>
>>875866
OK but what's his point? Just "muh ideology?"
>>
>>875816
He claims fhat atheism still necessitates a Big Other, like The End of History, nature, nationalism, the survival of the fittest, capitalism, hedonism etc.
Christianity's Big Other is God, and God on the cross doubts himself, and God dies on the cross, freeing Christians from an obligation of the Big Other. God quite literally died and the Big Other died with God, thus God gave us pure atheism (without something taking its place.)
>>
>>875863
>Lacanian psychoanalysis seems different from Freudian psychoanalysis
They are different, but work within largely the same framework. It's like updating "here be impassable seas" to "here be seas that cannot be passed due to all the Charybdis-es (really whirlpools) that limit travel. " It does not address the fundamental errors, rather it builds upon them while claiming to move past them.
>>
>>875870
he is trying to argue for a modern workable version of marxism
marxism under went a whole bunch of structural critique on the continent after ww2, he tries to reintroduce marxism from after this structuralism critique, so he quotes continentals quite a bit
>>
>>875872
The problem is that God does not permanently die on the cross. He resurrects, and his resurrection is used explicitly as the justification for trusting in him even more. The Resurrected God takes the place of the Dead God, which is why Christianity places such a huge focus on Jesus and the New Testament rather than the Old Testament still held to be only nominally important.
>>
>>875895
I don't know his answer to that since I haven't read his works on this specifically.
I think he would claim, and claim Hegel also did, that Jesus didn't die but rather God as a Big Other did.
Jesus' death was basically "you're on your own, tragedies are meaningless, and you're free from God as a Big Other, I won't intervene."
The second coming of Christ would be the holy spirit in a community amongst people.
>>
>>875794

He goes on to write about transformer toys in the same paragraph

Is this guy high or what?
>>
>>875985
he is writing about human psyche so he should be
>>
>>875987

Kind of reminds me of Aldus Huxley

dude shrooms lmao
>>
>>875863
>What changed in the mid 90's?
Capitalism fucking sucked
>>
>>875863
>What changed in the mid 90's?
Zizek finally got to "enjoy" the West fully.

Enjoyee!
>>
>>875985
Children's toys can tell us a lot about ideology.
>>
>>876190

The fact when every super hero name ending with man will be replaced with "the human" to keep it gender neutral

the human spider
the human bat
the human in the Iron suit
the human with super abilities
>>
>>875794
The God earth is not prepared to have
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.