[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We have had a ton of threads about John Green but I havent seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15
File: lindybeige.jpg (124 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lindybeige.jpg
124 KB, 1920x1080
We have had a ton of threads about John Green but I havent seen many discussions about other /his/ related youtubers.

What do you guys think of Lindybeige?
>>
File: john green prose.jpg (63 KB, 600x751) Image search: [Google]
john green prose.jpg
63 KB, 600x751
Speaking of John Greene.
>>
>>874688
>Fact 53: Did you know that the anglos are the most powerfull race in the world
>>
Walking meme.
>>
>>874698
Kek
>>
>>874693
>her fingers were like baby carrots
>>
>>874688
>"Let me tell you...About the French."
>>
His sweaters are okay.
>>
>>874688
He was alright at first, but later he started to seem incredibly autist and obsessed with a lot of stuff that didn't matter too much. Or would come up with really strange and not too true explanations for stuff just based on what he thinks it feels like. I loved his videos a couple of years back but now I'm just tired of him.
>>
>>874688
>I told my washing machine to wash my shirt. He actually did it the absolute madman

On my opinion of the man, he's a bit of a dindu nuffin about the British Empire. But other than that, he's not too bad. I wouldn't consider him a reliable historical source but he's okay as a YouTuber.
>>
Entertaining and informative, until he's talking about something you already know, then the level of utter bollocks he's spewing becomes clear.
>>
>>874722
He's a LARPer. Of course he is autistic (in the meme sense and not the actual sense).
>>
>This is the way things are when I am fighting with a foam sword so it must also be true for actual combat 700 years ago, God save the Queen, and did know that the British Empire was great and that the rest of the world is a bunch of tossers?
>>
He's great for his target audience. To criticize him outside his shows boundaries is frankly retarded.

Plus he's goofyness is funny
>>
>>874779
I get tired of his "selling out being british look at me I'm just like monty python (no really, I am)" shtick though.
>>
>>874779
>To criticize him outside his shows boundaries is frankly retarded.

he thinks a machine gun mounted on a tripod has greater range and stopping power than one on a bipod or (lol) shoulder fired.
>>
>>874878
Yer buts he's an entertainer
>>
>>874743
Only an autist would feel the need to make that distinction.
>>
File: Seljuk Sipahi.jpg (308 KB, 1008x1505) Image search: [Google]
Seljuk Sipahi.jpg
308 KB, 1008x1505
>>874688
He unironically claimed that scimitars may have been used as some king of two handed-weapon used in a circular motion.
He's on the same tier as edgy reddit '''historians''' that feel the need to re-interpret history for the sake of re-interpretation
>>
File: Indiana-Neidell-394x222.jpg (20 KB, 394x222) Image search: [Google]
Indiana-Neidell-394x222.jpg
20 KB, 394x222
Thoughts on this guy? In 'The Great War' and 'It's History'.
>>
Good guy.
>>
>>874688
There's a Matt Easton thread. I think it was a few days ago.
>>
>>875235
i really like their channel but jesus i will never watch all their videos.

props to them for making an actually compelling and informative channel about history. while others, for instance crash course, go only for entertainment and neglect almost any interesting or useful information.
>>
>>875502
I watch them at 1.5 or 2 speed so I don't waste time
>>
>>874688

SHIT.
>>
>>875004
Only an autist would feel the need to point that out.
>>
>>874688
I think he's a novice that gets BTFO on his incorrect assumptions and ideas regularly.
>>
>>875193
He did not claim it, he barely speculated about it and recounted an anecdote from a soldier who had actually seen it. Get your shit together Martha.
>>
>>874878
>doesn't know dick about guns

He's British.
>>
>>875235
I like him and his videos I just wish he wouldn't constantly remind me how bad war is, I mean I get it, war is bad. You don't need to tell me again every fucking episode.
>>
Him and David starkey are the ideal historians good presenters and centre right wing so they'll give the honest truth
>>
>>875502
>a crash course on a subject isn't useful if you already understand the broad strokes of a subject
Well no duh.
>>
>>876251
Are you new to the channel? If you binge watch the episodes then it hits you pretty hard, but if you watch it week by week the moral judgements actually work well.
>>
File: 1436626179073s.jpg (2 KB, 125x117) Image search: [Google]
1436626179073s.jpg
2 KB, 125x117
>>875235
Breddy gud lol ;DDDDDD
>>
File: Everyone is jealous.jpg (206 KB, 771x960) Image search: [Google]
Everyone is jealous.jpg
206 KB, 771x960
>>874735
>he's a bit of a dindu nuffin about the British Empire.

Implying the British Empire did actually do anything wrong. Which of course it didn't.
>>
>>876499
Except for the genociding.
>>
File: ian.jpg (118 KB, 600x658) Image search: [Google]
ian.jpg
118 KB, 600x658
very good info
>>
>>876516
Who'd they genocide? The Native Americans were pretty much a mistake caused by foreign disease. The Aborigines, eh, there's still a lot of them around today but I guess that counts. And the Boer thing wasn't really a genocide IMO.
>>
>>876535
>Who'd they genocide?

Aryans

I wouldn't expect an eternal Anglo to understand
>>
>>876535
The Irish and Indians. Their policies killed millions during times of famine.

In India during times of famine they required Indians to keep on growing cash crops. If they tried growing food to simply survive their land was confiscated. To "help" Indians they created work camps where Indians could do hard labor for food, but they only provided about 1500 Calories worth of food. When they saw that the Indians were lethargic instead of giving them more food they just literally said that Indians were so lazy that they would rather horribly starve to death than do work.

In Ireland during the Potato Famine they kept the Irish from growing any other potentially immune types of potatoes, they negotiated with other countries to REDUCE the amount of aid they gave Ireland, they turned away food relief ships, and they continued to ship food out of Ireland. They saw the Irish as sinful and deserving of God's retribution, also they saw it as a Malthusian problem. If they allowed the Irish to survive then they would only keep on multiplying and would only bring about greater suffering when another famine hit. Both were just convenient excuses to get rid of the problematic Catholic Irish.
>>
>>876571
None of that is true, if they had needed food as badly as you claim they would simply have worked harder. And as for the Irish, you must agree that the more Irish people around the bigger the problem, so it wasnt really a genocide, more of a necessary evil.
>>
>>876594
lol, truly the Anglo has the best interests of us all in mind.
>>
>>876594
>it wasnt really a genocide, more of a necessary evil

This guy gets it. Gott mit uns.
>>
>>876608
Please, you can't in any way compare the Jews to the Irish, the Jews were functioning members of German society, they owned shops and businesses, they took part in the community, they grew the economy, they even fought in WW1. What Hitler did was genocide, it was unnecessary and evil, any ill effects the Irish experienced due to their own overpopulation and inability to feed themselves and unwillingness to work hard were only as evil as natural selection.
>>
>>876618
t. Goldstein
>>
>>876618
>Inability to feed themselves and unwillingness to work hard were only as evil as natural selection.

it wasn't a combination of agriculture monoculture and laws which required a region to export what little food it was producing abroad, no it was just because the Mc's dindu nuffin.
>>
>>876618
>implying there is such a thing as british society
>>
>>876649
Of course it wasnt, if it was then how did only a small fraction of the Irish population die and not most/all of them? That's because they were overpopulated and incapable of feeding themselves properly. Only the worst and laziest elements of their population starved.
>>
>>876659
>small fraction
I hope you'll get raped by a paki, Oliver.
>>
>>874688
He lost me when he couldn't figure out why the uruk hai took pikes to Helm's Deep

Also a lot of nonsense about archery that only a weak nerd larper might believe
>>
>>876516

>Empires should be benign and gentle

Oh boy here we go.
>>
>>876686
Notice how there was little to no population decline in the protestant and anglo-scottish settled north? That's protestant work ethic right there for you, they didn't starve because they worked hard and fed themselves, unlike the lazy catholic southerners, who went on to become the ungrateful and seditious 'republican' terrorists. Imagine if the whole of Ireland had been settled, few to none would have starved and everyone would be happy, its simply because the Irish wouldn't accept their place in the world and wouldn't work hard enough that they starved, hence natural selection.
>>
>>876715
I always thought that 'the eternal anglo' was just a meme.
>>
>>876649
>what little food it was producing abroad
>what little food
Ireland was producing shitloads of food. It was a breadbasket.
>>
>>876708
>"The British Empire did literally nothing wrong."
>"Except for, you know, the genociding."
>"HOLY SHIT IT WAS AN EMPIRE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE THEM!"
Literally what?
>>
>>876715
Gosh, this thread is worth quite a few chuckles.
>>
>>876814
The conversation is focussed on the Potato Famine.
>>
>>876715
Here i thought only turks could act like cockroaches.
>>
>>876824

>"This empire did mean things to people"
>"Every empire does mean things to people"
>"Yes but I want to complain about this one and act like it was unusual"
>>
>>876865
I cant think of any empire that starved their own kingdoms people because "too many catholics"
>>
>>876865
Holy shit, dude. Stop being a dumby. I was responding to >>876499. I didn't bring up the topic, I just corrected an anon who was telling fibs.

Also, for a culture that created the term "taking the piss", you sure can't.
>>
>>876877
Communists did it. Granted thinning out the population due to it being full of political opposition makes a little more practical sense than simply thinning out a region because you don't like their religion, but still.
>>
>>874878
Yeah, it was dumb. Accuracy is sure better because recoil is compensated better, which may influence effective range as well but the rest... I mean unless you count Bar and that's still pretty arm-blasting experience hardly any machinegun can be fired from the shoulder with a minimal acceptable accuracy.
>>
>>874878
I haven't seen it, so I don't know the context - but I have a military background and I can tell you that tripod mounted guns have a greater effective range - maybe that's what he meant? As for stopping power though... perhaps he just erroneously thought that increased accuracy at a greater range meant you would hit more baddies and thus have more 'stopping power'?
>>
>>874688
climate denier
>>
File: caspian.jpg (22 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
caspian.jpg
22 KB, 512x512
Has anyone here watched caspian report? He covers mainly current events but also goes into detail in explaining the geopolitical situation of nations like Russia and why they expanded so greatly
>>
>>876939
Don't you know that climate doesn't exist? Rain and snow don't happen, wake up sheeple
>>
File: bait-logo3.png (69 KB, 696x300) Image search: [Google]
bait-logo3.png
69 KB, 696x300
>>876594
>>
>>876963
This.

Rain is precipitating chemtrails and snow is the dandruff of the Illuminati, just so we know our place.
>>
>>876715
Thinking the Protestant ascendancy class actually worked and not just sat on there arses while whipping Catholics.
>>
He's entertaining, and he can make some good points about things, but he's also often wrong. Really, you shouldn't trust him for much other than historically-themed entertainment.

That being said, I love his value as a representation of Victorian-era British antiquarianism. It's very interesting to see it so well represented, and I can't tell if Lindy knows how well he supports that mindset. One one hand, his hard on for that era of history makes me think it may be intentional, but on the other, many of his historical videos show a lack of awareness into his own way of thinking. In basic terms, he still has the mindset of a nineteenth century armchair antiquarians. He probably comes from a well-off background (I don't know if this is true, but it's what I'm guessing based on clues he's slipped about his life), and views his history stuff as a hobby. So, he makes videos speculating about the details his hobby, sometimes with very little evidence, and usually by challenging the work of others. He definitely has some more modern approaches in the mix, too, but he's very much the product of an outmoded past, and I think it's interesting to see that thought process in action.
>>
>>876715
>protestants
>working

lel, you've obviously never been to the North.
>>
>>876834
Yes, during the famine it was producing tonnes of food.
>>
>>874688

He's alright. The opposite of Green though in that he's very biased in favour of Europe.
>>
>>877807
So you are saying that Ireland was producing less food (but still quite a bit), England was extracting the same amount of food from Ireland, which meant the Irish had too little food to live off of and died by the hundreds of thousands?
>>
File: BasedIan.jpg (439 KB, 974x716) Image search: [Google]
BasedIan.jpg
439 KB, 974x716
>>876529
Based Ian and his show really is amazing.
>>
>>876516
But anon the light of civilisation must be spread at all costs lest barbarism prevail.
>>
>>874688
He is entertaining and I moderately enjoy him. But his problem is that often there is a huge [citation needed] for quite a few of his claims. But there are times when he does make insiteful observations based on personal experience. But pure anecdotal observations is far from a solid interpretation of history.
>>875235
Based as all get out. He uses primary sources, actively engages with the material, and cites his sources. The only thing that I can see at fault with him is his reliance on newspapers and the lack of government documents (but he uses good secondary sources in place of them). But all together he brings a level of thorough reasearch and documentation that out matches most YouTube "historians"
>>
>>876865
>The British Empire did nothing wrong
>but they did do wrong
>OTHER EMPIRES DID TOO, IT'S UNFAIR
>>
>>877937
This.
>>
>>876939
Climatosceptic and eurosceptic to be precise. So is his sewage system I would venture
>>
>>876958
yeah its pretty good albeit with a strong pro-Islamic basis
>>
>>876958
>watching Azeri/Georgian propaganda
>>
>>876243
Merely speculating it is retarded.
>>
>>877835
More or less. The majority of the land was used for crops and livestock for export. The amount of land allotted to labourers was tiny, and the only crop that was both hardy enough and calorie dense enough to feed a family on these tiny rocky plots were Potatoes, specifically the high yield breed called the lumper. When the blight came, the potatoes all died but the export crops were unharmed. In fact exports of meat increased as the drop in population cleared land for pasture.
>>
>>876529
Very good.
>>
>>878948
Says the anon with no fat stacks coming in from YouTube.
>>
>>878956
How many calories are in a potato? Several hundred thousand?
>>
>>879036
Around 500 per potatoe
So they'd pŕolly have 4 potatoe each in a family of 7-8
You can really grow alot of potatoes in a small patch
>>
>>878897
>>878887
oh really? ha i didnt notice, what makes you guys say that?
>>
>>879452

It of course depends on the size of the potato how many calories it has, but it'd have to be fucking HUGE to be 500
>>
>>876499
This is a really great picture that gave me quite the chuckle. That being said fuck your gay empire Nigel go brush your fucking teeth
>>
>>876251
This, also everyone knows war is not nice to be in, and guess what, people regardless decided that wars were still worth having.
Hell, middle ages war was brutal as fuck, it's not like it was a walk in the park.
>>
>>880316
But still, this. >>877937
>>
>>879938
>500 calories
That's not even a single Reese's Pieces.
>>
>>874688
Truly the eternal Anglo. I love him, but he's a walking stereotype.
>Lanky, pasty academic
>Well dressed, usually in older fashions
>Travels the world
>Right-wing, loves hierarchy
>Slightly autistic
>>
>>876230
Only an autist would make that post
>>
>>874688
>LARPer and lindyhopper with weird collared shirts and a history degree

he's okay
>>
>>876715
You're literal feces

Go back to /pol/ with this baseless vitriol
>>
>>876729
hahaha, he fell for it
>>
>>874688
Basis his "facts" on his personal Larping experiences rather than historical evidence.

Like most pretentious British youtuber nerds, is a flaming right wing contrarian edgelord with a huge superiority complex.
>>
You are now all aware that his name is Nikolas and that Lloyd is his surname.
>>
>>876691

I can see his point with that. Whilst they were facing known horsemen, they were assaulting a fortification with unmounted infantry.

I don't think they had pikes in the book, and it wasn't only uruks either.
>>
>>876499
>the last few wars defending the colonies.
The colonies defended themselves in the Seven Years' War, and the officers sent over from England were useless toffs who didn't understand warfighting in a frontier setting.
>>
>>874688
Good entertainer, but not as good historian.
Also the type of personality that makes me hate brits. Literal "we wuz kangs" attitude towards all issues.
>>
>>876958
I watch it, its good. Well sourced and current discussion of political events with references to history.

>>879933
>what makes you guys say that?
It doesnt bash muslims and islam every second sentence, thus its shit.
Welcome to 4chan, where even objective discussion of the states in the Middle East is considered SJW garbage.
>>
File: 11lis2012.jpg (57 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
11lis2012.jpg
57 KB, 500x333
Some of it is okay, some of it is shit.

Also brits dindu nuffin they wuz a good boi
>>
>>876958

Yes, some of the best analysis I've seen on YouTube.
>>
File: Pigeon2.png (262 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Pigeon2.png
262 KB, 900x900
Black Pigeon Speaks

Doesn't have a ton ofor videos yet but what's up so far is great.

Especially if you're concerned with the migration issue.
>>
>>881847
>google black pigeon speaks
>first result is his youtube channel
>second result is a video titled WHY WOMEN DESTROY CIVILIZATIONS

I can already tell what his channel is like and why you like him. Please close the /his/ tab, friend.
>>
>>880342
You forgot well spoken
>>
>>881691
oh dang, didnt notice that till you mentioned it
>>
>>881870
>implying women don't destroy civilization
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assemblywomen
>>
>>881407
there is no historical evidence for medieval and ancient combat experiences beyond things like fencing manuals, LARPing is the best we have in some cases to be fair
>>
File: trump.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
trump.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>>881847
>Why Women DESTROY NATIONS
>Black Lives Matter: The Rise of the "DINDU"
>IQ | RACISM and the CONSERVATIVE

What does any of this have to do with history
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.