[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16
File: _84090255_nefirtitia[1].jpg (38 KB, 660x437) Image search: [Google]
_84090255_nefirtitia[1].jpg
38 KB, 660x437
What went wrong?
>>
Islam hates sculpture and painting
>>
>>873146
Islam hates art.
>>
Islam has a thorough dislike of the products of creative professions.
>>
File: Image13_TEASER.jpg (135 KB, 495x330) Image search: [Google]
Image13_TEASER.jpg
135 KB, 495x330
>>873308
they just don´t like people drawing what they call created stuff, they relate it with idolatry
but they do have visual arts based on geometry
>>
File: Miraj_by_Sultan_Muhammad.jpg (579 KB, 1083x1600) Image search: [Google]
Miraj_by_Sultan_Muhammad.jpg
579 KB, 1083x1600
>>873323
>they just don´t like people drawing what they call created stuff,
>implying
>>
File: Allah, Head Ch'Allah.jpg (171 KB, 800x507) Image search: [Google]
Allah, Head Ch'Allah.jpg
171 KB, 800x507
>>873366
>>
>>873375
>>873366
HOTHEADS
>>
>>873366
there were exceptions of course, in Turkey and Persia, Central Asia, Africa, etc.
Hatred of paintings seems more like an arab thing
>>
>>873146

Islam is averse to representative illustrations.
>>
>>873182
>>873323
>>873323
>>873277
>>873308
>>873396
Islam sure is shit
>>
>>873388

Arguably, painting was an extremely common phenomenon in most parts of the pre-modern Islamic world and most of the painters themselves were students of religious seminaries. The only real difference with Europe was that the pictorial arts were never regarded even by the artists who were masters as the highest art. That position belonged to calligraphy first, then geometry second and then painting last. You could be a master calligrapher and never paint a miniature or a portrait ever in your life, and still be respected and wealthy, but the idea that a painter could not also be a qualified calligrapher or also familiar with the geometric arts would be a positively absurd notion. The opposite was the case in Europe because of the connection between the icon and image of God-man Christ. While calligraphy was the primary vehicle through which the truth of the Qu'ran was expressed and reflected an intelligible world of non-anthropomorphic principles. Even painting for the most part was connected with the arts of the book, with calligraphy that is, as most Muslim paintings that have survived were illustrations for books and merely one part of a total composition.

Popular painting outside of books, did exist too and was popular among the middle class who wanted stuff to decorate their homes, but the greatest painting which clearly had the most time and effort put into them were usually the paintings for book illustration payed for by the clergy or nobility. And even when it came to anthropomorphic art, the Muslim artists generally favored a more surreal and less realistic style that owed much to East Asian influence. But we also have examples of the use of European notions of perspective, mostly in the area of royal portraiture but also in popular religious art catering to the lower classes, especially in Iran and India

If there's any civilization whose views on the hierarchy of art are most like the Muslim countries, it's probably China.
>>
File: persian miniature angel.jpg (34 KB, 220x352) Image search: [Google]
persian miniature angel.jpg
34 KB, 220x352
>>873388
>Hatred of paintings seems more like an arab thing

This is correct. The dislike of painting can be found everywhere in the Islamic world, but outside of the Arab context, painting developed a much more positive reception and even was held by many as a sacred art, albeit the least of the sacred arts.

There are some traces of Arab folk paintings and illustrations in scientific and medical handbooks, but the Arabs never developed a real style of figural painting on their own. If there were any Arab painters, they were usually trained in the Turkish, Persian and Indian schools of painting.
>>
>>873146
in the past easily 90% of the population had to be agricultural laborers, only the most talented commoners would leave the fields and become artisans

nowadays we have a massive economic surplus and even those who are not the smartest have access to the resources to make giant status like this out of cheap materials
>>
File: Venere di Urbino.jpg (56 KB, 770x552) Image search: [Google]
Venere di Urbino.jpg
56 KB, 770x552
>>873490
>>873505
Sounds like uninteresting shit to me and all the stuff you posted is really ugly. Islam truly is shit.
>>
>>873146
Meme answers in this thread aside, some local amateur without much talent or just desperate for tourism bux tried and failed. Egyptians themselves mocked the statue.

Also, food for thought, the town that erected the bust is Coptic, not Muslim. Historically the Islamic world was not averse to statues, and most ancient sculptures have survived until modern times ISIS and the Taliban not withstanding. There doesn't seem to have been any mass iconoclast riots like those in Late Antiquity where superstitious mobs tore down pagan statues around Rome and Constantinople. Rather than religious iconography statue making was seen as a symbol of political majesty and diplomacy, which is why several early Islamic rulers were keen on automatons both human-like or otherwise. It's also probably where the reputation for idol worship comes from in European songs explaining Saracen religion.
>>
>>873587

oh, it's you, again.
>>
>>873587
if you hate Islam, study it
know your enemy and all that
>>
File: The-Big-Duck-Medium.jpg (50 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
The-Big-Duck-Medium.jpg
50 KB, 800x451
>>873594
Also, that statue looks to be like 20 feet tall, which is significantly more difficult.

I mean, this is local and it's OK for a middle school shop class, except for it being a building.
>>
>>873587
Paintings of Venus FTW. Christians hated this pagan goddess and European kept happily painting her anyway.
>>
>>873607
I just don't like abstract shit and vastly prefer the human figure instead.
If you like abstract shit that's cool, but I don't, so keep it to yourself. The problem is muslims never keep it to themselves.
>>
What's with all the Islam answers? Did I miss something?
>>
File: Historic-portrait-painting-600.jpg (37 KB, 522x600) Image search: [Google]
Historic-portrait-painting-600.jpg
37 KB, 522x600
>>873644
Islam thinks pictures of human figures are blasphemy. that's why they're shit at drawing people, even though people is one of the most attractive and interesting subject you can draw.
>>
>>873644
People just parroting their stock responses, in this case to Islam and art.

Nevermind that there are in fact several statues of caliphs and sultans throughout the region, or that the overwhelming response to the OP image from Egyptians on Twitter was saying the statue was shit, not that statues shouldn't be made in the first place.
>>
>>873375
A prefiguration of the eternal life that awaits them.
>>
>>873660
*subjects

>>873673
They also hate dogs

>Muslim :: Book 24 : Hadith 5246
A'isha reported that Gabriel (peace be upon him) made a promise with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allah's Apostle) a staff. He threw it from his hand and said: Never has Allah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: 'A'isha, when did this dog enter here? She said: By Allah, I don't know. He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said to him: You promised me and I waited for you, but you did not come, whereupon he said: It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.
>>
>>873375
THIS IS MY FULL POOOWEEEEER!
>>
>>873690
What kind of asshole angel throws out a puppy like that?
I don't want crap angels like that. Ew.
>>
File: laughing Heston.gif (1014 KB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
laughing Heston.gif
1014 KB, 290x189
>>873375
>Allah, Head Ch'Allah

Under the Geneva Conventions, I am accusing you of war crimes against my sides.
>>
>>873388
>there were exceptions of course, in Turkey and Persia, Central Asia, Africa, etc.
You know, it seems more like Arabia was the exception here.
>>
>>873787
They are all shit compared to Europe though.
Why do muslims want to destroy something so beautiful anyway?
>>
File: 1457324978325.jpg (66 KB, 300x287) Image search: [Google]
1457324978325.jpg
66 KB, 300x287
>>873631
>I just don't like abstract shit and vastly prefer the human figure instead.

nobody fucking cares what you like or don't like.

>If you like abstract shit that's cool, but I don't, so keep it to yourself.

except you never keep your opinions to yourself

>>873644

anons saw OP and came up with a bunch of meme answers about Muslims and art, even though OP's pic isn't even of a work by a Muslim artist.

>>873660
>Islam thinks pictures of human figures are blasphemy.

It really doesn't

>that's why they're shit at drawing people

It has more to do with a different set of values than it is of skill as there are plenty of modern Muslim artists who have gone and studied art in Europe and can paint as well as any European in those styles of painting, but they don't always share the same artistic values as other Muslims which is why they're more open to European styles without having to fuse it in anyway with their own traditions. Had you been born in a traditional Chinese setting though, chances are your favorite works of art would be stylized copies of the Analects of Confucius, the Tao Te Ching or the Five Classics.

Figural representation only became more prominent in the West than it did even in the Christian East because of the religious and philosophical atmosphere of the West. Christianity believes that God himself was revealed in human form through the incarnation of the Logos in the man Jesus of Nazareth. So in Christian European society, the highest work of art one could undertake was the representation of the human form of Jesus Christ. But of course anyone who wasn't Christ or a saint was not really important enough to try as hard to depict as realistically as possible. As Renaissance humanism emerged, the human form itself began to take on a sacred character in Christian European thought that before only really belonged to the human form of Jesus Christ, which was above all other human bodies in its purity and holiness.
>>
>>873957

Not only that, but many Europeans didn't know how to read nor did the literate people have easy access to the Bible so the only way the common Christian could learn his religion was most often through illustration of Biblical stories and Church history.
>>
>>873729
Hmm, I wonder why someone in a 7th century Arabian hellhole doesn't want an animal with an enormous statistical likelihood of carrying fleas, rabies and other parasites in their house.
>>
>>873957
>bitches about opinions on an anonymous message board MADE for sharing opinions
>doesn't bitch about muslims and their OBEY ME OR DIE mentality, see bombing attacks and unrest everywhere they go
That's how you spot a muslim.

>It really doesn't
It does.
See >>873690 and other such nice muslim rulings on the subject. Then again lying or taqqiya as you call it is also a common religious practice with muslims.
>>
>>873998
The problem is muslims try to apply that shit even outside their 7th century Arabian hellhole.
Europe never had such problems with puppies or with a lot of shit muslims hate. But muslims don't get it.
>>
>>873673
Also, early Muslim palaces had plenty of frescoes and sculpture of naked women to boot.

>>873690
They also had plenty of hunting dogs as well.
>>
>>874014
And how did they all go to shit?
Too much islam?
>>
>>873998
Better a puppy to keep in the house than an arab piece of shit around.
>>
>>874019
Modern Islamic revival movements, not too much Islam, that have taken hard line stances against anything that could be perceived as not strictly religious orthodoxy or upsetting the family order.
>>
>>873375
>Allah, Head Ch'Allah

Holy fucking Christ, this is 10/10.
>>
>>874013
>Europe never had problems with dogs

Nigger stop. Most of Europe is rabies free specifically because Europeans decided to kill most of their stray "puppies" a while ago
>>
>>874034
>Modern Islamic revival movements
>that have taken hard line stances against anything that could be perceived as not strictly religious orthodoxy or upsetting the family order
>not strictly religious orthodoxy
>not too much Islam
No... that IS too much islam.
>>
>>874019
The culture that supported such luxuries were all destroyed by various invasions and military coups, leaving just the religious culture intact. The high culture of upper class Arabs has recently been replaced by Westernized models, so it's become a clash between the religious falsely standing in for everything traditional and the nonreligious falsely standing in for everything foreign.
>>
>>874053
Nyet. It's a highly cornered and filtered view of Islamic religious tradition forcing its way into other traditions, religious and otherwise. It's too much revivalist and fundamentalist Islam.
>>
>>874033
nah middle eastern food is incredible
>>
>>874044
Fun fact: dogs have been created in Europe 20,000 years ago through the domestication of European wolves and have been a constant affectionate part of European people's lives ever since.
>>
>>874078
It tastes like shit. Italian is better. Delicious prosciutto and other pork meats.

>>874074
>fundamentalist Islam
That's redundant.
>>
>>874114
>That's redundant.
You're free to be wrong, I've done my part.
>>
>>873998

From what I was told, Muslim laws actually allow them to keep dogs, as long as they're outside pets or are used for something like hunting. Generally, Muslims aren't really that big on keeping pets at all.

>>874002
>>bitches about opinions on an anonymous message board MADE for sharing opinions

Nobody asked whether you liked abstract shit or figural painting, so I don't know why you even bothered to bring that up in the first place.

>>doesn't bitch about muslims and their OBEY ME OR DIE mentality, see bombing attacks and unrest everywhere they go

If I didn't address it, it's because it had nothing to do with anything we were actually talking about before you strolled along and got triggered.

>It does.

Nope. Because most Muslim regions have done it for centuries without any feeling like they're contradicting their religion, which was the only point being made in this thread at all. Your opinions on which art is superior, suicide bombings, the virtues or lack of virtue of the Muslim religion is just you derailing discussion. That's all. Now fuck off.
>>
>>874210
>Muslims aren't really that big on keeping pets at all
Yet another reason why they don't belong in Europe.
>>
File: cute.jpg (31 KB, 402x526) Image search: [Google]
cute.jpg
31 KB, 402x526
>>873146
everything went wrong OP, pic related.
>>873182
>>873277
>>873308
>>873323
>>873396
maximum faggots
>>
>>874013
>Europe never had such problems with puppies
You've clearly never been to Romania. Or Albania. I almost got attacked by a pack of street dogs in Albania.
>>
File: goku.jpg (168 KB, 641x481) Image search: [Google]
goku.jpg
168 KB, 641x481
>>873375
>Allah, Head Ch'Allah.jpg
10/10
>>
>>873587
you honestly sound like a really unpleasant person to be around
>>
>>873182
This, broadly. Medieval Persians and Arabs would have probably made Greek-style statues if Islam didn't prohibit their creation
>>
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 1920x1080
>>873375
>Allah, Head Ch'Allah
>>
>>876547
You're lucky you didn't get attacked by albanians in albania. Western europeans hate them for a reason. Also albania is a muslim country so it's their fault they are too subhuman to treat pets decently, everywhere else in the balkans is better than that.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.