[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How were the Arab Caliphates and Ottoman Empire different to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: n_14025_1.jpg (45 KB, 626x319) Image search: [Google]
n_14025_1.jpg
45 KB, 626x319
How were the Arab Caliphates and Ottoman Empire different to Rome or Macedon? They too conquered vast amounts of land and led the people they conquered to convert to their religions.

The only difference I can see is that the Romans and Alexander were polytheistic. They were all just conquerors.
>>
>>873073
...because they're Arab? And Turk? And Muslim?

What kind of a fucking question is this OP, of course they're different. Did the Ottomans have a Senate? Did Alexander conquer the world for allah?
>>
>>873083
I meant in terms of how one set is portrayed as a group of barbaric savages, while the other is portrayed as a bastion of civilisation.
>>
You're spot on OP. None of them were Christian and they all practised a savage oriental religion built on murder and pederasty.
>>
>>873091

Um because of your location?
If you live in Iran, the Arabs and Alexander are mongrels and the Romans were Christian zealots.

If you live in the west, the opposite is true.

Wtf OP, are you 12? Waste my time answering a babby tier question.
>>
Rome was civilized :^)
>>
>>873083
>Did Alexander conquer the world for allah?
I believe according to Muslim legends, he did.
>>
>>873148
/pol/ pls go. Stop pretending to be religious as well, the atheist Reddit boogeyman doesn't care about your beliefs.
>>
>>873073
>They were all just conquerors.
What, did someone tell you otherwise? Of course they were all just conquerors. Treating the early Arab conqueror generation like Alexander and his companions was in vogue for a time for a reason.
>>
File: 1403089973745.jpg (44 KB, 599x655) Image search: [Google]
1403089973745.jpg
44 KB, 599x655
>>873227
Heil Hitler faggot.
>>
>>873091
>I meant in terms of how one set is portrayed as a group of barbaric savages, while the other is portrayed as a bastion of civilisation.
Everyone is a barbarian to someone.
>Crusaders: LE DRIVE OUT LE INFIDEL BARBARIANS OUT OF HOLY PLACES.
>Muslims: DEFEND HOLY PLACES FROM FERENGGI HORDES AND THEIR UNWASHED INFIDEL WAYS.
>>
Romans, iranians and indians developed civilisations.

Arabs just conquered parts of their territories and copied everything.
>>
>>873091
>I meant in terms of how one set is portrayed as a group of barbaric savages

By who? Outside of /int/ shitposters, nationalists, and people with some kind of ideological axe to grind on dark corners of the internet or social media, they're either ignored or given some level of admiration. They're just not seen as part of the Classical Western tradition, so like the Byzantines most people just don't care.
>>
>>873264
This guy gets it.
>>
>>873264
>Implying the Romans didn't just conquer and copy Greek, Celtic, and Phoenician civilizations, too
>>
>>873264
>Arabs just conquered parts of their territories and copied everything.

So culturally, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Lebanon, Persia and Palestine were the same before the 7th Century as they are now? And that Spain and southern Italy have absolutely no Moorish culture, nor any evidence of Moorish occupation? The caliphates were also civilized places.

Also the Romans copied Greek culture.
>>
>>873495
Romans were the biggest rip-off merchants in history. There's a reason why Greece gets credited more for having an influence over western civilisation than Rome does.
>>
>>873264
>Romans
>Not Greeks

Es em hache, pham
>>
>>873073
Their power wasn't to their government, but to religion.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.