[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could the French Revolution have beeen less, well you know.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Flag_of_France_(XII-XIII).png (41 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_France_(XII-XIII).png
41 KB, 800x800
How could the French Revolution have beeen less, well you know.
>>
By not being French and not a revolution.
They are doomed to be horrible by themselves, and when you bring them together, they only get worsened.
>>
>>871967
It should have been more.
>>871996
Edmund Burke pls go
>>
>>871967
Republicans are barbaric by nature.
>>
File: Untitled.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
Was the revolution justified? Was its actions just?

Im Irish, I grew up in Ireland. A land which had British aristocrats imposed on us. A land where we fought many a rebellious war to get the Brits out.

My historical schooling was very biased. I learned that the French third estate were oppressed and completely justified in overthrowing the privileged nobles. Just as we were in kicking out the Brits. Also very little was said about the 2nd estate. Irish people dont want to here anti church stuff.

So then last night I watched La revolution Francaise. Great film btw. Anyways it makes Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette to be not that bad.

I dont know what to believe anymore. Yea the revolution got out of hand, what with the mass beheadings, but the social shifts it achieved all across Europe was worth it, right guys?

pic realted
>>
>>871967
What? If something, It was too soft
>>
>>871967
>>872013
The initial goal of the revolution was to change from absolute monarchy to a constitutional one.

But even thought the king initially cooperated to this, he eventually backed out and tried to have Austria (his wife's family) invade France and restore his full power.
Upon finding out, the revolutionaries felt betrayed and beheaded the king
It lead to war with all the surrounding monarchies, thus plunging France in a state of near-invasion paranoia that made the revolution turn into complete chaos
>>
>>872030
>with all the surrounding monarchies, thus plunging France in a state of near-invasion paranoia that made the revolution turn into complete chaos

So was the actions of the third estate justified?
>>
>>872034
The king had to die so the republic could live
>>
>>872047
So it was.

The youtube comment sections for the film I watched was pretty anti third estate. Good to know his is backing the third estate.
>>
>>871996
This seems true, desu...
French "philosophy" only gets worse the more people there are in a room talking about it.
>>
>>872013
The Revolution was against the nobility, not against the king, and it started with the bourgeoisie taking the king's side in his struggle against the nobility. The trouble was that Louis XVI was extremely weak, and ended up siding with the nobility and with the enemies of France.
>>
>>871967
The only good thing that came of it was Napoleon.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.