[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatever became of letters like Þ or ð? Why did we ever stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: dead_letters.gif (10 KB, 229x201) Image search: [Google]
dead_letters.gif
10 KB, 229x201
Whatever became of letters like Þ or ð? Why did we ever stop using them? Not just in English but also Scandinavian languages.
>>
I assume that due to the English language being changed through conquest ect they just got replaced
No clue about why they aren't still in Scandinavian
>>
>>871443
are those the pronunciations next to the letter?
>>
>>871689
No, just the names. Though they are linked to the pronunciation of them.
Æ = "aa" like in "that"
Ð = "th"
Þ = "th"
Ƿ = "W"
>>
>>871780
Forgot
Ȝ = soft g
>>
We could definitely still use thorn desu, tons of words with th in them.
>>
>>871443

"th"
they've simply dropped old runic sign for it and replaced it with latin script that was attributed equal sound.
>>
>>871799
It also gave us a difference between voiced and unvoiced th
>>
>>871834
>>871799
Petition to reinstate the use of thorn when?
>>
>>871834
But whether th is voiced in English is totally predictable by position and lexical category.
>>
>>871780
>Ð = "th"
>Þ = "th"
?
>>
>>871948
But it would still be one less thing to think about.
>>
>>871950
Ð is used for an unvoiced dental frictave while Þ is used for a voiced dental frictave. In modern English spelling th is used for both regardless of voicing.
>>
>>871443
The printing pressed we imported from the continent didn't have them

We used 'y' in place of 'þ' for a while as in 'ye olde pub'
>>
>>872006
presses*
>>
>>871443
Icelandic still uses eth, ash and (I think) thorn. English could do with getting them back.

>>871792
I thought it was the same sound as "ch" in German (and the source of all those variously pronounced "gh"s all over English spelling)
>>
>>871948
>either
>ether
>>
>>871950
>Ð = "th"
more Ð ≈ "dth" IIRC
>>
File: 794px-Dalrunor.svg[1].png (20 KB, 794x248) Image search: [Google]
794px-Dalrunor.svg[1].png
20 KB, 794x248
>>871443
Parts of Sweden, Northen Dalarna, had communities using runes for a long time. Pic related is what they looked like between 1500 and 1900.
>>
>>871541
Christianity happened, When they converted so did the alphabet (to latin)
>>
>>873947
How literate were the norse? Did they write down the eddas and sagas on paper? And if so wouldn't it be heresy to keep them once converted
>>
>>876493
The Eddas were written after they converted
>>
>>876493
They wrote shit in stone, And that was things like "Sigurd raised this stone to honor his father" or scribbled things like "halvdan where here" in a mosque during his duty as a bodyguard
>>
>>871821
Sort of true, Printing Presses introduced didn't have a lot of these specific letters on them, so they sort of dropped out of existence in English just after that. Before that 'th' didn't hold that sound, it was for the thorn, they just improvised when they needed to for the printing press
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.