[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You Must Post In This Thread If You Were Confirmed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 38
File: Pope Benedict Leaves.jpg (927 KB, 2300x1462) Image search: [Google]
Pope Benedict Leaves.jpg
927 KB, 2300x1462
Who /Roman Catholic/ here?

Do you feel that this experience brings you closer, culturally, to Rome and the Ancient World?

Are you still in touch with the faith?

Let us discuss.
>>
>>871206
I am
No
Yes

Just like eating McDonald's doesn't make me feel more American, worship at Catholic Mass doesn't make me feel more Roman. The Church is just too modern and international.
>>
I was confirmed but now I reject the church and its teachings.
>>
I didn't keep going when I went off to school. I'm glad I was raised Catholic though, it's somewhat interesting and you do feel connected to something greater.
>>
>>871220
same fampai, i only went through with confirmation because it was more or less a school event.
>>
>>871233

I agree with you. I stopped believing some time around grade 8 or 9 but I really do feel that there was benefit in learning those stories and studying those teachings

Lots of benefit in the understanding and appreciation for literature is a big one for me

>>871220

Likewise, but I don't go 'fedora mode' over it

>>871213

What is your favourite part about worship at Catholic Mass?
>>
>>871206
Yep

A little, not much though. At the time, not at all, the confirmation program was run by this heretic mexican lady who taught shit like "second virginity." Thank god I had pretty well read grandparents who told me it was all shit. I don't exactly see how being a catholic makes you "more roman" or anything like that

Fairly, I generally pray every night and I like to read scripture if I have a chance. Can't always make it to church though
>>
File: stmartin_full.jpg (135 KB, 1000x1507) Image search: [Google]
stmartin_full.jpg
135 KB, 1000x1507
>>871206

Favourite Saints, everyone?

Pic very related.
>>
>>871206
I was confirmed but of course its absurd to think a twelve year old is mature enough to fully understand catholic doctrine and commit to it for life.

The latin mass was wonderful but the plebs didn't like it I guess.

I dont go to mass any more but I regularly get to argue with Catholics, orthodox and protestants here
>>
>>871263
>I was confirmed but of course its absurd to think a twelve year old is mature enough to fully understand catholic doctrine and commit to it for life.

Agreed. Honestly they've turned it into a bit of a meaningless tradition with that. I suppose it avoids the tension and conflict that would no doubt happen at schools/families if you had, say, 18 yr olds getting confirmed (and thus more refusing).

>>871262

Thomas of Aquinas is one of the most important people in human history. By far my favourite Saint.
>>
>>871206
I'm not converted yet but I have a disability preventing me from reading thread titles :^)

I really want to convert although I have two important questions
1) I don't agree with all of the Church's catechisms, but rather about 90% of it. Can I still convert or do I have to look for something else?

2) I have a girlfriend. We've been together for 6 years so far. It's a long-distance relationship, and we've met before for extended periods of time. Never masturbating again is not a very attractive idea, self-control or not. How'd you people manage to do it?
>>
>>871278
>1) I don't agree with all of the Church's catechisms, but rather about 90% of it. Can I still convert or do I have to look for something else?

90% of people inside the Church clearly don't agree with everything

Most Catholics use birth control, for instance

I don't know how this factors into conversion from the outside though - converts were always weird to me as a kid growing up in the church

>>871278
>2) I have a girlfriend. We've been together for 6 years so far. It's a long-distance relationship, and we've met before for extended periods of time. Never masturbating again is not a very attractive idea, self-control or not. How'd you people manage to do it?

They lie desu
>>
>>871288
>Most Catholics use birth control, for instance
>They lie desu

Well that's hypocritical as fuck and disappointing, isn't it
Wouldn't people have to confess such things? Wouldn't excommunication happen constantly because of that?

If not, I hardly see what makes them "catholics" besides having done the usual ritualis
>>
>>871294
> Wouldn't excommunication happen constantly because of that?
That's not how excommunication works.
>>
>>871294

Just another bitter wannabe convert that wasn't born into a long line of the Church with actual history

You guys are always seen as not quite getting it
>>
Pretty much my whole family is Catholic, but I'm not; I am Anglican.
Feel a bit runty ngl lmao
>>
>>871304
What is considered a grave enough offense to be excommunicated then?

>>871309
>catechisms stress on how important the Church is and the holiness of it
>catholics ignore its moral teachings
That is what I get from this thread. Please elaborate in that case.
>>
File: 1456352201483.jpg (221 KB, 681x960) Image search: [Google]
1456352201483.jpg
221 KB, 681x960
no

no

Most of my family was assimilated. My own confirmation was only tradition; no real connection on any spiritual level.

I can defend the faith, I just feel no connection or passion for it.

Feels strange bud
>>
>>871317

You have to remember, similar to any group of people in history, or any country on earth, that a people are distinct from its leadership.

This is nothing new.
>>
>>871278
You must not choose thechurch that is right for you, you must choose the church that is right.

>How'd you people manage to do it?
I don't. Please pray for me, I've been trying to stop for a long time now. Anyone have tips?
>>
>>871220
Same here. I was an infant and was confirmed and baptised, which doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not sure what denomination I am but I follow a lot of the teachings of the desert fathers, St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, William of Occam, and Luther.
>>
>>871463
Young muslim here:
Get married. It isn't as evil as it always sounds if you have the right attitude about it.
>>
File: spooks.jpg (24 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
spooks.jpg
24 KB, 331x334
I was the only kid in my age group that didn't go to confirmation school

Also i am a Lutheran.
>>
Baptized and First Communion here
No
Not since I was pulled out of a private Catholic school for shitty grades but lately I've missing that part of my life.
>>
i am
no
no
i have a crisis of faith as some would call it. i dont go around spouting atheism or anything, but i dont feel very close to religion, besides finding it an interesting paychological/philosophical phenomenon.
>>
>>871582
>>871581
How are your prayers going?
According to Nouman Ali Khan, most problems when it comes to faith can be linked directly to the quality of your prayers. I personally tend to agree.
>>
>>871590
>>871581 here. I haven't prayed in years.
>>
>>871606
Try it, mate. Just sit down in a room, you and your lord. Talk. Ask him whatever needs asking.

But also listen. Really listen.
>>
File: St.Michael1.jpg (237 KB, 688x948) Image search: [Google]
St.Michael1.jpg
237 KB, 688x948
>>871262
This holy motherfucker
>>
>>871206
I was confirmed when I was 13 or 14. I was pretty religious back then, but I abandoned it long ago. Kinda pisses me off that the confirmation so often gets forced on young children. If you´re not old enough to drink a fucking beer, you´re not old enough to confirm anything. Cheapens the whole religion.

It never had any relationship to the Ancient World. My love for that comes from documentaries and great teachers.
>>
>>871206
Yes, I'm Roman Catholic.
No.
Not really. I guess I've lapsed into Agnosticism at this stage, though I don't spend much time thinking about my own personal spirituality. I often attend mass with my Mum though, because she likes me coming and I'm not an edgelord, so I'm not going to deny the woman who raised me my company.

I was confirmed at age 7, organised by my school. I then went to a Catholic private school that did confirmations in Year 6, so just about all my friends were confirmed as well.

I was an unoriginal little fucker back then, so I chose St Michael as for my confirmation name. He was the pleb choice at my school. I don't blame myself though, I was 7 and just wanted a cool name. If I had done it a bit older I would have spent a lot of time researching a Saint I felt I identified with.
>>
Born and baptised, although it was just lay Anglican stuff then go to catholic secondary school, mass just seems more than physical, get confirmed 2 years later, still Catholic and attending mass
I feel closer to how the lay peasants must have been in the middle ages when the mass was basically all Latin and they wouldn't understand it
>>
>>871453
The problem isn't with leadership, I know that many catholics don't care all that much about the pope besides the fact he's expected to be a wise guy
But isn't the purpose of catechism to sum up the doctrines important to the church that are expected to be shared among all communities to a certain degree?

also
>>871309
I'm not bitter. I'm extremely surprised that catholics don't really follow the catechism.
>>
>>871897
Most don't know much about their faith. Catholic schools have a reputation for being crap. I've heard a priest tell a story about a woman who went through Catholic schools all her life, became a teacher at one and only learned about the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist when she was 50.
>>
>>871206
No
No
>>
>>871206
I am confirmed
No
No

My parents sent me to a private catholic school, but they themselves never really talked about religion or faith. They helped me for school catechism works but always kept a perfectly neutral stance on the matter and never interfered with what was taught at school.

This means I was never as deeply attached to the faith as some friends who had grown up in a very religious family; and I progressively lost what little belief in God the school had try to teach me. By the time of my confirmation I actually already was an atheist.

>*tips fedora*
>>
>>871206
I was confirmed.
I don't feel any closer to the ancient world.
I'm not in touch with the faith anymore, if I ever even was. I only underwent the ceremony because family pressure and the traditional gifts associated with it.
>>
Who /Roman Catholic/ here?
>Me
Do you feel that this experience brings you closer, culturally, to Rome and the Ancient World?
>Not really
Are you still in touch with the faith?
>Yes. In fact I made a confession few hours ago.
>>
Confirmed
I feel closer to the Vatican but not significantly.
I don't really go to church but my family is religious so I'm still part of the community when I go back home.

I'm just waiting for the pope to call a crusade to liberate Raqqa.
>>
Non-confirmed heathen non-believer here

I did however go to one of my best buddy's confirmation in college. He was unaffiliated before that and became extremely attracted to Catholicism. Great guy, lots of fun to talk to.

Anyhow, I gotta say it was sorta long, as it was Easter vigil I believe, but actually enjoyed myself. I've been to baptist sermons living in the south and that is miserable. My favorite part was when everyone stood up and said nice things to their neighbors. Shook their hands and such. If anything in my whole life made me feel "the spirit" it was that point.

Why are Catholics so based?
>>
>Who /Roman Catholic/ here?
You called, here I am. Baptized, confirmed, the whole deal. Family used to be pretty devout (not really anymore, except for my mother).

>Do you feel that this experience brings you closer, culturally, to Rome and the Ancient World?
No. I have never felt that.

>Are you still in touch with the faith?
No, I stopped attending masses about a year ago, realized that the tenets of the religion weren't 'real'. The whole theology is convoluted, superstitious, outdated. More trouble than it's worth.

>Let us discuss.
No thanks. You called, I answered.
>>
Is there a divide between the upper clergy like the Pope/the cannon beleif and what the general public of the church?
>>
>>872693
Yes, obviously.

In all honesty, the majority of Catholics do pre-marital sex, use contraception, openly toy with beliefs that are superstitious or heretical, support things like homosexuality (in the West), or engage in drug trafficking or outright killing (many of the drug lords in the Latin-America consider themselves upstanding Catholics).

Very lax. As with all religions.
>>
>>872698
>as with all religions
Not really, no.

Why is this okay?
>>
>>872716
>>872716
>>872716
>Not really, no.

You're an idiot born of idiots if you think all Buddhists try to achieve nirvana, all Hindus moksha, all Jews do Orthodox, that all Christians live like monks, or that all Muslims are like their 'exemplary' prophet.

The majority of people see religion as a wish-granting thing and one that assures them of an afterlife: "pray to this deity/deva/angel/boddhisattva for some favors and luck and safety, and then I'll go to Heaven/Pure Land/Nirvana/Firdaus/Olam 'Habaa/Moksha/Siddhasila"

Faggot.
>>
No, Rome was pagan
No

I was pressured to confirm by my parents when I was still basically a child, I only did it to shut them up and I made it clear to them I didn't give a shit about this shit religion and I was done it with it after. They understood since they were only pressuring me to fit in with the neighbours and didn't give a shit about the religion themselves. Dad never went to church or prayed or did anything remotely religious and mom went to mass only sporadically out of habit but she never listened to any of that shit and openly supported divorce, abortion, pre-marital sex, etc. and used birth control since she didn't want more children in her marriage. We weren't very rich and couldn't have afforded any anyway, so she was very smart about this.
I myself never felt the need to confess since a lot of shit the church says is bad (like birth control) I find to be extremely good, and I never fell for their lies, not even as a child. Catechism was a boring torture I was forced to go unwillingly again only out of idiotic pressure from my parents when I wanted to watch cartoons instead. Same with mass. I wanted to sleep on Sundays and never stopped protesting.
Of course after confirmation I dropped all pretenses and stopped doing anything and everything related to religion. My parents stopped caring too because they realized how damaging and stupid it is to put up pretenses for shit you don't care for, our neighbours were petty bigots and hypocrites not worth our consideration, and we are all better off for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 399x295) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 399x295
I was confirmed.
I am not a member of the Catholic Church any longer.

Pic related
>>
Getting confirmed this Saturday night (Easter Vigil)
>>
>be conservative catholic
>be gay
I'm fked, lads. Thought about joining priesthood or becoming a monk tho
>>
>>873267
wowitsnothing.jpeg
>>
>>873167
FYI I was forced to do that shit when I was 16.

>>873267
4chan is 18+ only, go away underage
>>
>>873276
Most priests are like you, trying not to fuck little boys in the ass by wearing a funky shirt and collar.

Turns out the funky shirt and collar give you more access to little boys, whom you can then fuck in the ass.

You'd fit right in.
>>
File: henry_viii.jpg (38 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
henry_viii.jpg
38 KB, 640x360
>papists
>>
>>873267
Reported for underage, enjoy your ban.

>>873276
I was like you for a large part of my life. Then I read up on history and realized the entire religion was a joke and not even true, and suddenly I was free.

It's not real. Just read some history, and the entire Biblical narrative begins to collapse.
>>
>>873276
you certainly wouldn´t be the first
>>
>>873276
Matthew 19:11-12
>11But He said to them, "Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. 12"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

you're fine.
if anything it gives you an easy opportunity to becoming a priest or monk.
>>
>>873392
Way to ruin his life, you idiot cuck. Especially considering that Christianity as a religion is not 'real'.
>>
>>873392
Faggots aren't eunuchs. But see, faggot? The Catholics think you'd be a great choice to spend one on one time with their boys.
>>
>>873291
>I literally started a "church" so that I could divorce my wife
If this kind of historical cuckery doesn't at least turn you off of anglicanism, there is really no hope for you
>>
>>873417
Faggots can't reproduce because their dick turns into jell-o when they see a naked woman.
Unless you're going to tell me it doesn't apply because the word "homosexual" wasn't around in 30 CE

>>873416
>>873417
>You Must Post In This Thread If You Were Confirmed
>>
>>873276
For fuck's sake, nothing more pathetic than a self-hating homo who tries so hard to be liked by conservatives and religious idiots.

Just get a God-damned boyfriend.
>>
>>873437
But I am confirmed. Luckily, I stopped believing in this convoluted fake shit in my 20s and never looked back.
>>
>>873267
So am I. Also, I'm 26yo. What's all this stupidity about underage??
>>
>>873440
enjoy going to hell :^)
but really, I'm curious about your history with the church, why you left and what you identify with now
>>
>>873441
You seem to be a little bit too old to still believe in fairy tales and mythical legends about god-men and virgin births.
>>
>>873441
some people in this thread think you can be confirmed at 15 or not all
>>
>>873448
>why you left

Because it's idiotic. Even as a child, I thought the entire idea of transubstantiation ("the bread and wine turn into the actual flesh and blood of Christ by a miracle, but another miracle occurs at the same time so that despite being the literal flesh and blood of Christ, they continue to retain the same appearance, texture, taste, and chemical composition as regular bread and wine!").

I'd always been interested in history, and one day, I began reading on the history corresponding to the beginning of Christianity and after, as well as before. Forgeries, interpolations, pseudipigraphia. The fact that supposed miracles are always 'subtle' and can be attributed to chance, and that they always occur in backwater areas with people that are still Christian and superstitious.

The whole thing makes no sense. It's a fantasy.
>>
File: IMG_2026.jpg (47 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2026.jpg
47 KB, 600x347
>>873449
Sorry, I grew out of that edgy phase a few years ago
>>
>>873466
Right. More like you're so pathetic and lonely that you want to join these people just because they seemed 'friendly' (and of course they always act like that to gain converts, but they're never there afterwards except to give hollow advice like 'just follow Jesus :)).

Sorry, it's not edgy, it's reality. All I hear are buzzwords.
>>
File: OurLadyOfFatima.png (304 KB, 799x468) Image search: [Google]
OurLadyOfFatima.png
304 KB, 799x468
>>873465
>subtle miracles
>thousands of people, many atheists and non-believers included, witness a miracle
It's not your fault really. It's just so cool to be anti-religion nowadays
>>
>>873466
>>873466
Fuck off nigger

>>873465
This.
>>
>>873474
>pathetic and lonely
Not me, friend. I'm sorry if you're feeling lonely. God is a true friend.
>the peoples is so friendly

It doesn't have anything to do with the people at my parish, it has everything to do with God and Truth
>>
>>873476
Really convincing: a few lights in rural Portugal populated by superstitious Catholics and the few atheist journalists that would have made fast dosh by printing out a story about a sun miracle.

Obvious bullshit. You'll never see such a Christian miracle occur in the developed West or non-Christian countries, even though it would be a miracle in those places that would have the largest impact.

Those people are literally staring at the sun: no wonder they thought it started moving. Ever stared at a bright lamp for a few minutes?

And no, on the other hand: it's edgy and contrarian to be religious nowadays, because most people have moved beyond such idiotic
mythical accounts.
>>
File: 1432024337635.jpg (888 KB, 1280x1016) Image search: [Google]
1432024337635.jpg
888 KB, 1280x1016
>>873478
>edge master

The key is to stop being so self-centered and selfish. Then you will be able to begin to discern the Truth, God willing.
>>
>>871294
Nobody gives a shit about excommunication not even my backwards grandmother.
People don't have to confess such things because they aren't doing anything wrong and if the church says birth control is a wrong then the people tell the church to fuck off.
I live in Italy, country of the Roman Church, and people regularly have pre-marital sex, abortions, divorces, and do blasphemous swearing because the church and religion at large is rightfully seen as a plague that takes all fun and joy away from life and are rightfully dying. The art and the music are the only good things about the roman church.
>>
>>873491
>"you're edgy for not believing my mythical narratives that have no proof or evidence to support them"

You might as well call him edgy for not accepting the Hindu devas or the Greek gods into his life, Christcuck. Your religion is just as 'real' as the Hellenic cult or any other pagan religion - that is, non-existent.
>>
>>873438
not self-hating tho
just feel a strong bind to the church and priesthood and i wouldn't mind spending my life alone
My parents are left-liberal btw
>>
>>873491
No thank you, religion is bad and you should feel bad. I don't want my life to be miserable because of you.
>>
>>873504
>just feel a strong bind to the church and priesthood

Then enjoy being poor, lonely, bored, and doing the same exact thing for the rest of your life. You can still live in the real world and be lonely, idiot.

Also, you really think those priests and nuns don't 'entertain' each other? There's a reason there's so many jokes and rumors of homosexuality in seminaries and convents...
>>
>>873499
More birth control than abortions desu. Abortions rates are extremely low but every girl and her mother uses the pill to avoid unwanted pregnancies which are the worst shit that could happen to a woman.
>>
File: 1430242002885.jpg (63 KB, 427x476) Image search: [Google]
1430242002885.jpg
63 KB, 427x476
>>873489
>God doesn't send me infallible scientifically-irrefutable miracles, so he's just like totally made up!

>>873502
>Catholicism is basically the same thing as paganism because I dont believe either of them

Okay.
>>
>>873533
Africa should be nuked fuck the pope for wanting those uncivilized niggers he should get kicked out with them if he wants them so bad
>>
File: 1432023179252.jpg (159 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
1432023179252.jpg
159 KB, 534x800
Lots of poorly catechized Catholics ITT ..... No one on 4chan is authentically Catholic? Bummer

pic is my kid
>>
>>873491
>The key is to stop being so self-centered and selfish

Sorry, I actually like myself, as opposed to the self-loathing Christcucks have due to their teachings about 'innate sinful nature/original sin'. I'm not going to limit myself just because some 2000 year old sandniggers say so. You're the one that should be pitied - living his life as dictated by something that is both not 'real', and that was made with an agenda (to gain power).

Going to be real sad: you will have wasted your life following something that wasn't 'real', and then you'll cease to be, without your Heaven or Hell.
>>
>>873476
There have been sun miracles at sights the church has condemned, yet believers still go there and routinely report sun miracles.

staring at the sun + mass hysteria = visions
>>
>>873526
>There's a reason there's so many jokes and rumors of homosexuality in seminaries and convents...

and I'm sure that reason isn't Jews and cynical atheists working to undermine faith in a religious institution they have an adversarial relationship with.
>>
>>873533
So you just believe anything anyone tells you? Seems that way, since you seem to mock me for not believing in something that has no scientific weight to it.

Kill yourself.

t.Jesus Christ
>>
>>873309
i read my stuff, thanks for the suggestion nonetheless
>>873392
ty
>>873526
>enjoy being poor, lonely, and doing the exact thing for the rest of your life
You don't understand religious feelings at all
>>
>>873437
Many faggots have children. Bruce Jenner.
>>
File: fatima_stained_glass.jpg (72 KB, 448x272) Image search: [Google]
fatima_stained_glass.jpg
72 KB, 448x272
>>873554
>the church has condemned
Yep, sucks for those people who ignore the Church's authority

>>873553
I've lived my life like you for the last 25 years, except that I actually had lots of sex, did lots of drugs, did whatever I thought would make me happy and I am no happier today because of it, and in fact, I am less happy due to all my self-centered hedonism.
>>
>>873553
>I'm not going to limit myself just because some 2000 year old sandniggers say so.

and then the atheist turns around and claims he has morality without God.
:3
>>
>>873559
>muh kikes!

Back to /pol/, faggot. There are literally jokes concerning what I just told you going back to the Middle Ages: read Medieval literature, and see Catholic Boccacio and Dante writing about it.

Kike-obsessed freak: not only do you worship and fixate on some dead kike-on-a-stick, but you see them behind every shadow too.
>>
File: 1414771354595.jpg (632 KB, 824x1123) Image search: [Google]
1414771354595.jpg
632 KB, 824x1123
>>873566
I believe that there is a God. Even the Greeks saw the problem with pantheism, being that all those gods had to originate from something (God). That was the beginning of my journey to the Truth of the Catholic Faith. But the key was that I sought with an honest heart
>>
>>873577
You're telling me you needed the LORD GOD to come down and tell you such basic things as common courtesy and politeness? Speaks more about your fucked-up personality than anything else.

>>873575
You're going to be in for a real surprise when you find out religion doesn't deliver either. Sorry, but Christ isn't going to come down from the cross and give you an epiphany. You'll spend everyday praying until you get fed up and angry, realizing what a waste it all was.
>>
File: 1414788072993.jpg (112 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1414788072993.jpg
112 KB, 1024x768
>>873553
the fact is that all those things you seek are what's not real. They will leave you empty inside.
>>
File: 1432020934540.jpg (322 KB, 1576x2358) Image search: [Google]
1432020934540.jpg
322 KB, 1576x2358
>>873592
>You're going to be in for a real surprise when you find out religion doesn't deliver either
That's it right there. I'm not in it to "collect" on God's "delivery." This isn't some financial investment scheme. I'm in it to do God's will because that is the only thing that gives real fulfillment.
>>
>>873578
I didn't say anything about kikes.
Do you deny that Jews have had a traditionally adversarial relationship with Christianity?
Do you deny that slander is a common propaganda weapon against enemies?
Do you deny that humor is often a key component of propaganda?

Not to mention accusing your enemy of homosexual acts is incredibly common in history. For crying out loud even the word buggery is derived from the accusation that medieval heretics from Bulgaria would commit acts of sodomy.

Saying that it would be common for Jews to make gay jokes about the Christian faith exactly the same way Christian did about heretics is not antisemitic, it's common sense.
>>
>>873592
>Speaks more about your fucked-up personality than anything else.

Says the man who just went on a rant about how he does whatever he wants in life as long as it makes him happy.
>>
>>873624
>>873624
Dude, Christians make jokes about the Christian faith. I'm the guy who just posted from Italy above. Everyone knows about the gay stuff that goes on in the seminaries.

Did you really think that those men and teens don't get pent up? Are you so naive you think they just pray their drives away? You idiot, they do things with each other. There's been a number of people who quit seminary because of the shame/disgust. There's families that quit the church once their aspirant-priest comes back and tells of what happens inside.

>>873632
Sorry, I don't need God to tell me such obvious things that moderation is wise.
>>
>>873526
Can confirm, I remember back when I used to attend mass, the local priest was most probably a homosexual (he had 'that' voice, certain mannerisms, a level of effeminity, etc.).

http://www.uni.edu/coe/jrae/New_Folder/Maher_Homosexuality.pdf
>>
File: IMG_2061.jpg (63 KB, 350x498) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2061.jpg
63 KB, 350x498
>>873647
You may not need God to teach you about moderation, but you definitely need God, anon. Sin is death, and Jesus Christ is the only way out
>>
>>873678
God and Jesus Christ aren't real. You really need to let go of these delusions, especially since you have no basis for believing in them.

Repeat after me: It's not real.
>>
File: 1457623418546.jpg (571 KB, 1627x2572) Image search: [Google]
1457623418546.jpg
571 KB, 1627x2572
>>873684
just off the top of my head...
>2000 years of sacred tradition and perpetual dogma
>no basis
>>
>>873695
Hinduism is much older than Christianity, possibly some 3000 years old. Does this 'sacred tradition' mean the Hindu devas are real? Judaism is also older than Christianity, as is Zoroastrianism, and both have sacred tradition - are they real, too?

Just because it's ancient and steeped in tradition doesn't make it 'valid'. Please explain how your religion - a young one compared to the ones I mentioned - is somehow more 'real'.
>>
>>873710
You said that I had NO basis. I simply stated a basis.

Now you propose that other religions are older, but none that you mention have perpetual teachings. Judaism of today is a far cry from Judaism of 2000 years ago. The same can be said of all other religions, being that they have no central authority like the Roman Catholic Church.
>>
>>871897
>I'm extremely surprised that catholics don't really follow the catechism.

Everyone lies too, but we aren't supposed to do it in polite and genteel society. Regardless your issue comes from a misunderstanding of Christianity in general. Absolute obedience of all prescriptions of moral and spiritual guidelines is never expected. Desired, but not expected. This is because at our core, humans have a natural tendency to sin. Even the greatest of saints and popes have sinned.
>>
I'm a lapsed Catholic and I don't buy the Jesus thing anymore. His teaching's are fine, and I like the pageantry and celebration of rites of passages in the Church, secular world doesn't really celebrate birth and manhood and all that in a very communal way so I've considered raising my kids in the Church. But again I can't bring myself to believe that Jesus was the son of God, that's retarded, all the miracles are retarded, the Old Testament is extra retarded.
A couple of the simple messages are good and all but the bulk is unnecessary and outdated.
I'd still answer the call to Crusade against the Muhammedan.
I am a soldier of God if His Holiness the Pope wills it.
>>
>>873731
Once you start looking into the actual history you see all religiosn change. Christianity is not the same as it was during the 1st century. MASSIVE changes were made during the 4th centuary. For instance early Christians would have thought you should not eat pork.
>>
File: st_augustine.jpg (60 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
st_augustine.jpg
60 KB, 850x400
>>873740
Everyone during the time of the old testament were retarded. We're just less retarded now. As for the old testament itself, maybe you should investigate a good old testament catholic bible study course. I know that a lot of Catholics don't have a good understanding of the bible but that is something that can be easily corrected with time
>>
>>873744
>MASSIVE changes
>some early Christians thought you shouldn't eat pork
Doesn't seem that massive to me. Perhaps a slow transition away from Judaism, but that doesn't mean that the DOGMAS (what catholics are required to believe) have changed (they haven't)
>>
>>873731
What makes you think Christianity has 'perpetual teachings'? It doesn't. Things were added in or thrown out at various councils. Even Vatican II would be a good example, but any of the earlier ones would also be good.

The Ascension of the Virgin was only made dogma in the 15th century
The concept of the Trinity was made official in a council in Nicaea in 326 AD, and before that, such a concept was not universally accepted
In the first century, Christians tended to portray Jesus as a magician (they even showed him with a wand) and as Sol Invictus - a triumphant young god without beard

There's been tons of changes to Christianity, just look at the way it has split off. By no means is it 'perpetual', and not even the Catholics can claim so.
>>
>>873757
sorry DOCTRINE** not dogma
>>
>>873748
I agree, the world of the time was retarded, it's the basis of knowledge. We have the benefit of 2000 years and I like to respect that. No need for a religion of the ancients, we can come up with something better.
Using the teachings of the past is nice though.
Obviously I see value in the past or I wouldn't be jerking off to a history board.
>>
>>873647
The fact that gay stuff goes on in seminaries is not evidence that gay stuff goes on in ALL seminaries. It only has to happen once for people to construct a narrative and run with it.

You don't have to "pray the gay away" if you're not gay. Just because I'm "pent up" doesn't mean I'm going to start sucking off the guy next to me. I went through my entire adolescence without having sex and yet somehow I never wound up getting into orgies with my similarly deprived peers.

I just have a compulsion to always ask "cui bono?", and it doesn't take much to realize that organizations that wish to promote a secular society would clearly benefit from spreading rumors about the church. So why wouldn't they? All media is created by someone, and that someone doesn't just start writing for no reason, He writes because he wants to spread a message.

To put it another way, just because a homosexual writes pornographic fiction about the football team having gay orgies in the lockerroom does not mean that your average football player is a homosexual, even if some of them actually are homosexuals.

Don't just swallow ideas blindly.
>>
File: 1414786756439.jpg (90 KB, 475x699) Image search: [Google]
1414786756439.jpg
90 KB, 475x699
>>873761
>>873744
see http://www.mycatholicsource.com/mcs/nc/non_catholics__unchanging_doctrine.htm

Gotta go, God bless, and I will pray for your conversions! I'll check back later if I get a chance
>>
>>873740
>I am a soldier of God if His Holiness the Pope wills it.

You're pathetic in that you realize it's all bullshit but still attempt to cling to it because of nostalgia. If the Church had its way in the same manner it used to during the 15th century, they would have executed you.
You don't have to be a Christian to realize Islam is shit, idiot.

>>873748
The Bible cannot even relay accurate historical details - with many of its pruported statements actually being inventions-, but Christians presume it holds the answer to things such as the afterlife, divinity, eschatology, and comsology?

Go fuck yourselves with your double standard,
>>
>>873757
>Perhaps a slow transition away from Judaism

Exactly. This is where Christianity changed. Early Christianity did not see itself as different from Judaism but the same thing. There is also pretty good reason to believe they saw Jesus as some sort of angel, exalted human, or otherwise a non-God blessed by the divine touch rather than being God himself.
>>
>>873647
If moderation were so obvious more people would be moderate.
>>
>>873778
That's your fallacy: that you think it's 'the media' spreading these lies. On the other hand, these rumors I post about are things that are completely local - overheard at a family gathering, heard from a friend's mother, rumored at the corner stores.

Sorry, not everyone lives in Burgerland, faggot.
>>
File: IMG_1619.jpg (65 KB, 625x468) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1619.jpg
65 KB, 625x468
>>873786
Sola Scriptura is false and a grave heresy
Also, the Bible is not a historical account, but a revelation of God to His people

>>873788
The Church has never taught this. Roman Catholicism has never "changed" like you say.
>>
File: anecdotes.jpg (333 KB, 1106x962) Image search: [Google]
anecdotes.jpg
333 KB, 1106x962
>>873802
>SOMEONE SAID IT SO IT MUST BE TRUE
o-ok
>>
>>873779
>>873779
>posts a Catholic site as a source to defend the Catholic Church

Into the trash it goes.
And don't bother checking back, we don't need anymore Christcucks swarming this board.

>>873809
And yet this is how Christianity started. You think the Church would teach what would undermine its power, idiot?

>using 'may-mays'

Kill yourself
>>
>>873788
Only fools think Jesus is not God.
>>
>>873809

muh traditions
muh infallible pope
>>
>>873802
>rumored
Well if people are whispering rumors to each other it clearly MUST be true! You know I heard a rumor that the Jews have a room in the cellar of their synagogue where they exsanguinate young Christian virgins to use their blood to make matzos for passover....
>>
>>873827
>>873832
lots of kids in here that don't know the first thing about Catholic theology.

Also, *tips fedora*
>>
>>873848

I don't know what dogshit tastes like either, but I'm not willing to find out.
>>
>>873837
Why are you disparaging the use of anecdotal evidence? After all, your Bible and your 'sacred tradition' are nothing more than a compilation of anecdotal evidence.
>>
File: 1432019237100.jpg (678 KB, 760x1111) Image search: [Google]
1432019237100.jpg
678 KB, 760x1111
This speculation is complete nonsense, characteristic of a profession that knows little of the Catholic Church except its loathing for Her. The Church would never be foolish enough to change Her teachings for the sake of temporary popularity. For the leaders of the Catholic Church know well that if the Church were to change Her teachings, She would be signing Her own death warrant.

Better no church than a mutable church. The Catholic Church is not a social club with arbitrary rules and regulations. She is not a political entity that seeks to protect Her power by compromising with competing factions. The Catholic Church claims to be the keeper of Christ’s unchanging teaching, and that obedience to Christ’s teaching is the path to paradise.

The Catholic Church must therefore assert that Her moral teaching is unchanging; if She held otherwise, Her very existence would be execrable. As the keeper of Christ’s unchanging teaching, She claims the charism of infallibility in matters of faith and morals.

If She did not claim infallibility in these matters, She would be admitting that God did not entrust His teaching to Her. This, of course, would mean that the Catholic Church lied, and therefore could not be trusted on any issue. Why adhere to a changing faith that claims to worship an unchanging God? A mutable faith is damnable – an affront to human dignity, a human invention that holds men in thrall to a quicksand of strictures
>>
>>873848
Theology is bullshit, however. Not a real discipline in that it doesn't require proof or evidence. You could argue anything with theology and still manage to make it sound 'deep'.

So fuck your theology. And fuck your fake religion. Why don't you go die for it in the Middle East, like you LARPers always claim you want to? Go crusade or something.
>>
File: 1432019814447.jpg (164 KB, 1113x763) Image search: [Google]
1432019814447.jpg
164 KB, 1113x763
>>873885
If the Church were to change any of Her moral teachings to suit the whims of the world, then She would admit that Her teachings are not of God, and Her moral authority would be compromised forever.

The vitriol of those who loathe the Church would be justified if the Church could simply change Her moral teachings in the face of societal pressure. If change in Her moral teachings were possible, all Her moral rules would merely be shackles forged by presumptuous men, preventing people from attaining pleasure.

But if the Church claims to be the keeper of Christ’s truth, then She must oppose the world when the world opposes Her teachings. Yes, the Catholic can change her methods of instruction and tweak Her disciplines. She could theoretically allow priests to marry; She can embrace social media, She can forbid or permit Her followers to eat meat on Fridays. But she cannot alter Her teachings on the Trinity or Her views on marriage, any more than She could repeal the laws of thermodynamics or square the circle.

The Catholic Church’s insistence on Her moral authority puts necessarily Her in opposition to society’s zeitgeist. The prophets of permissive morality boast that the world has outgrown archaic Christian moral teachings, and that the pressures of world opinion will eventually force a recalcitrant Catholic Church to change Her moral teaching. Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times expressed the worldly wisdom of many when he tweeted: “At some point, the church will accept contraception and female and non-celibate priests. Could it be in the next papacy?”
>>
File: 1432021215070.jpg (277 KB, 1256x1797) Image search: [Google]
1432021215070.jpg
277 KB, 1256x1797
>>873891
But the Catholic Church views modernity’s opposition to Her moral teachings as a symptom of a world embracing madness. Cardinal Francis George of Chicago thus eloquently condemned modernity’s embrace of same-sex marriage as an affront to sanity: “A proposal to change this truth about marriage in civil law is less a threat to religion than it is an affront to human reason and the common good of society. It means we are all to pretend to accept something we know is physically impossible. The Legislature might just as well repeal the law of gravity.”
>>
>>873885
>She is not a political entity that seeks to protect Her power by compromising with competing factions

That's all the Church has done all its life. Most notably, the crowning of Charlemagne, the Council of Trent, Vatican II. The Church is always trying to appease temporal powers, always backtracking.

Fuck you.
>>
>>873885
Oh, yes, from the beginning Mary was Co-Mediatrix with Jesus, herself born of a virgin, never dying, and ascending alive into heaven. From the beginning the cracker and wine changed into human flesh and blood. From the beginning, the pope was infallible.

Oh, hey, no, wait, those blasphemies, heresies and abominations crept in over 1700 years. You just can't imagine a church without them though.

Because you're LOST.
>>
File: 1414768007873.jpg (142 KB, 795x1045) Image search: [Google]
1414768007873.jpg
142 KB, 795x1045
>>873889
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology

As a true Catholic,I will fight if the Pope declares a crusade
>>
>>873903
You're just as bad, Protestant.

Why don't you two fight each other and just erase each other off the Earth?
>>
>>873907
You pussy. You couldn't tell one end of a rifle from the other. You know they don't fight with jousting lances anymore, yes?
>>
>>873908
Christian.

Pure as the Holy Spirit.

Not defiled by the Whore of Babylon in any way, shape or form.
>>
>>873907
Good, then we'll get to see you cry like a bitch on the execution vids the muzzies upload.

Then we'll have a good laugh here because "he fell for the ancient 'Christianity is real!' meme".
>>
>>873809
This is because the Roman church was not around when Christianity began. It was an evolution so of course it's different than the original. There was no central of Christianity in the beggining. The founder of it Jesus, never wrote anything down, and what we got instead were a ton of different writings by people that claimed to have been apostles, or had seen Jesus in a vision: many of them which were not written by the alleged author (including several New Testament stuff)
>>
>>873917
>Christcuck

Fix'd for you. Just as shit. Following something that you have no evidence even exists or existed, all because your family/pastor/'holy book' tells you.
>>
File: 1432024818493.jpg (774 KB, 1115x1920) Image search: [Google]
1432024818493.jpg
774 KB, 1115x1920
>>873901
>based charlemagne, based trent, based vatican I and II
>based pope, based blessed mary mother of God, based eucharist
all true and beautiful, as declared by Holy Mother Church. I see no problem here.
>>
>>873924
I have a universe of evidence you apparently skipped right over, the written Word of God, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ to rely upon.

What was it you had again? Nothing? Oh, yeah, nothing.
>>
>>873927
Of course you see no problem with the Whore of Babylon fornicating with the kings of the earth, and causing them to lie in bed with her.

Because you're evil.
>>
File: st_dymphna.jpg (79 KB, 408x749) Image search: [Google]
st_dymphna.jpg
79 KB, 408x749
For all the hate and vitriol spewing from these atheist/agnostics, there is very little substance here
>>
>>873927
Fuck your whore Mother Church, the one you defend despite its corruption and history of messing around in secular affairs and its excesses.
>>
>>873936
>written Word of God

Already established to be pseudipigraphical. Full of historical errors. Inconsistent (the fact that Christian denominations with completely opposite viewpoints can use the same book to defend their positions gives away its imperfection).

>the resurrection

Conveniently, there are no extra-biblical accounts of this event. Yeah, sure, 'a universe of evidence'.
>>
File: mary_bright_hands.jpg (155 KB, 958x654) Image search: [Google]
mary_bright_hands.jpg
155 KB, 958x654
>>873941
>>873937
>>873921
>>873918
>>873915
Am I then become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? (Galations 4:16)
>>
>>873949
Already established to be the written Word of God. My bible has no psudopigraphical books in it; those are infancy gospels, gnostic gospels, deuterocanonical works, etc. They're not in the bible.

You're throwing out the baby with the bath water.

There are zero historical errors in the bible. ZERO.

Christians have different viewpoints because Christians are all different people. Go figure. But if they do not have the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit in them, they are not Christians at all.

There are many extra-biblical accounts of the followers of Jesus claiming He rose from the dead. Your 24/7 cable news twitter snapchat kik mind cannot think back 2000 years, at all, with any clarity.

You're a fool because you have decided to be a fool. If you change your mind, you'll find that the world makes more sense to the wise than to fools.
>>
>>873955
This is what Christfags actually think: that they must be right because people disagrees with them.

We really need the /pol/ sticky concerning logical fallacies to be installed here.
>>
>>873955
Have I not told you that you are in a mother earth cult, and is that not true?

Have I not told you that you worship the Queen of Heaven to your error, calling her Mary, when her real name is Semiramis? Isis? Ishtar?

No, you are the enemy of God, not my enemy. If you were my enemy, I would not so warn you of the folly of your ways.
>>
>>871206
I have been confirmed. Feels good, and yeah I do feel a connection to the ancients.
>>
>>873961
Actually, it's the main Gospels that are pseudipigraphical as well. Many of them attributed to the original evangelists, but most - if not all - written by other people.

>zero historical errors

Is this bait?
>>
File: 1414787527046.jpg (82 KB, 944x734) Image search: [Google]
1414787527046.jpg
82 KB, 944x734
>>873963
You blaspheme the name of the Mother of God to your detriment, anon. Do you think Jesus Christ is looks on your spiteful hate speech with approval? Jesus loves and respects his mother, and you should too!
>>
>>873961
You asserting this does not make it true. it is not true, and you can only belief its true by ignoring modern biology, geology, and archaeology. Or like you do, condemning them as atheists trying to discredit your religion
>>
>>873962
Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life
>>
it was sort of mandatory because tfw Irish family

left the Church now tho

not because of any major falling out or anything, i just kind of drifted
>>
>>873967
Nope. Matthew the Levi, apostle of Jesus, wrote Matthew. John Mark wrote Peter's account, and put himself in the Gethsemane arrest scene. Luke wrote Luke, Paul's doctor and companion, and John the beloved disciple wrote John.
>>
>>873978
I cannot blaspheme a human being.

Only God can be blasphemed, idolater.
>>
>>874021
Well you believe that, but its not true
>>
>>873982
The truth is the truth. If you have no way of discerning truth from error, I suggest you find one. Nothing in the history of mankind that ever purported to prove something in the bible was false has ever played out. No attack on the bible succeeds. None.
>>
>>874029
I believe it because it is true.
>>
How the fuck do you feel closer to Rome and the Ancient World when Rome was pagan you idiots?
>>
>>874032
I do, evidence and logic

>>874035
It is not
>>
>>874050
You have never once been tricked by false evidence? You have never once been tricked by logic?

Are you 12?
>>
>>874039
Because they're pagans now. They just don't admit it openly.

Pagan Rome = Pagan Roman Catholicism. They love the centuries of tradition, and the feeling of belonging. They just don't belong to God.
>>
>>874055
You've clearly been tricked by false evidence and bad logic. i. e. your literal reading of the bible.
>>
>>874076
Tell me where the bible is not to be read literally, and tell me how you decide that.
>>
>>873961
>earth is 6000 years old
toppest of keks
>>
>>871262
St Francis of Assisi

based kino on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2d92_W47Y
>>
>>874085
Ive told you countless times were the bible contradicts biology, geology, archaeology. You dont believe any of those things.

If you feel it should be read literally, and its wrong, maybe you should find a new religion
>>
>>874091
What have you seen that is older than that?
>>
>>874108
No, I just know that the contradictions will eventually be found out as against biology, geology, and archaeology, whereas you are yet clueless that science is always wrong, and every attack on the bible fails.

Hell, archaeology seems intent on proving everything in the bible is correct. Pros, not you, but pros, actually use the bible to go find old hidden cities.
>>
>>874113
There are trees older than that
>>
>>871206
Belgian catholic over here. I strongly respect the church because of the conservatism and traditionalism. Francis made a mess of our holy mother church
>>
>>874122
Oldest known tree is a California bristol pine at about 4800 years old, which considering double ring years, is right at the age of the Flood.

Clonal trees have no way of dating them, and the carbon dating method is a joke.

So no, there are no trees older than 6000 years old. Thanks for playing, come back soon, better luck next time.
>>
File: 1447643324538.png (174 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447643324538.png
174 KB, 499x499
>2016
>being a papist
>>
>>874126

Er, don't you have anything important to do today?
>>
>>874130
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tjikko
>>
I was Confirmed in high school, I was an atheist at the time but now I believe in Christ. I'm not 100% set on any theology, desu.
>>
>>874137
This thread is about identifying as catholic no?
I do i'm kinda mourning the deaths in Brussels today. A matter on which a lot of people, pope included will strongy express their deepest concerns and call for tolerance
>>
>>871206
I was confirmed
Anyone who thinks that it "brings you closer, culturally, to Rome and the Ancient World" is kidding themselves
I would like to be officially excommunicated
>>
>>871206

ok
>>
>>874144
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tjikko

Am I the only one who reads?

>clonal

>The age of the tree was determined by carbon dating

Fuck outta here with your bullshit.
>>
>>874159
Shouldn't he call for war?
>>
>>874162

I hereby excommunicate you. Go and sin no more.
>>
>>874174
Its a tree, and carbon dating is a legitimate method to date many things by
>>
>>874178
Thanks Frank
>>
>>874176
Ok stop baiting
>>
communion is not the same as confirmation right? i am baptized with the name of two saints so i think i am still safe
>>
>>874184
It isn't, actually. You cannot know the starting conditions.
>>
>>874259
I know you don't like to hear it, but everyone is aware of the technologies limits, but just because it has limits does not mean it is not reliable within those limits.

The only people who challenge this are religious extremists unhappy with the early dates it gives
>>
>>871206
Here
No
No

Vatican II fucked up with every sacred thing.
>>
>>874237
No, different sacraments.

Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics are confirmed immediately after baptism. Latin Catholics are usually confirmed later.

With confirmation you get anointed with chrism.
>>
>>871206
I was

no

no

I'm still very much a cultural christian and would support a new crusade though
>>
confirmed, fell away from the church, slowly finding my way back
>>
>>871206
....anglo-catholic.....

I count right?
>>
>>871206
Lutheran here.
I went through the whole process and still have no idea what it means.
>>
>>871262
Don Bosco
>>
>>875451

Second confirmed Anglican reporting in.

I would still like the Catholic Church if was run by a fine queen rather than the devil himself.
>>
>>874113
Minerals, Geological strata, and basically anything dated via isotopic dating.
>>
>>876533
I remember watching a movie about that guy in school. Was okay tbqh
>>
File: theotokos_1.jpg (300 KB, 600x774) Image search: [Google]
theotokos_1.jpg
300 KB, 600x774
>>874024
>I cannot blaspheme a human being
Do you deny that Jesus Christ was a human being? Do you deny that Jesus Christ is God? Checkmate, protestant.

>Blasphemy: the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.
The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God is the Mother of Jesus Christ. Speaking ill of her will be your downfall in the afterlife, brother. Please meditate on the Holiness of Mary. Jesus Christ had two parents: God the Father, and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Think about what that means if you truly respect our Lord Jesus Christ.

Try starting with this prayer:
>Hail Mary, full of grace
>The Lord is with thee
>Blessed art thou among women
>and Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
>Holy Mary, Mother of God
>Pray for us sinners
>Now, and at the hour of our death
>Amen
>>
File: nuns.jpg (279 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
nuns.jpg
279 KB, 1500x1125
The most inflamed anonymous here are anti-religious.

I am so surprised. Look at how surprised I am. Utterly flabbergasted. Never saw that coming. A novel experience.
>>
>>871206
Daily reminder that lapsed Catholics aren't Catholic
>>
>>873734
Yes, I know. But the Church really stresses on how important it is to not masturbate, so I'm surprised that apparently no regular catholic is even trying to follow that.
>>
>>875451
No you don't count
Anglicans are the absolute worst
>>
>>871206
Me
>Do you feel that this experience brings you closer, culturally, to Rome and the Ancient World?
What, why would that be the case, do you even know the point of the Church?
Yeah
>>
>>873903
>From the beginning the cracker and wine changed into human flesh and blood.
actually that's true, that shit was practiced by early christians in the first place, as an extremely exclusive ritual only for the most ancient & devout christians
eventually, once it became more inclusive, people wondered why the fuck did it not actually turn into flesh & blood and that led to different interpretations
today, catholics say it is only a spiritual change, orthodoxes say the change is physical but it is a mystery we can't solve, and protestants say it's just a meaningless ritual
but among the doctrines & rituals of the church that have changed over time, this isn't exactly one of them
>>
>>874130
>>874113
Protestcucks, not even once
:^)
>>
>>877799
It started in Babylon, and was carried to Egypt, thousands of years before the birth of Christ.
>>
>>877808
Forever, and ever, amen.
>>
I'm a confirmed Catholic who is still in touch with the faith. I believe it does bring me closer to the ancient world, and I am learning Latin. I wish they would revive Latin masses, tbqh.
>>
>>877799
What? Catholics believe it physically changes
"by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation." as the council of trent puts it.

>>871206
Me, Latin rite
Strange question. I guess Extraordinary Form of Mass kinda gives that feel, but not really.
Yes, Thinking of going to seminary to try and become a priest.
>>
>that one young earth creationist ITT
I love /his/
>>
>>877940
>that one guy who thinks he's insulting me.
I too love /his/
>>
>>877895
So did the Babylonians.
So did the Chaldeans.
So did the Egyptians.
So did every pagan idolatrous nation on earth.

You aren't new, boy.
>>
>>877980
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>877980
John GR Forlong is more than one century out of date.
>>
File: 1432020755051.jpg (137 KB, 1000x589) Image search: [Google]
1432020755051.jpg
137 KB, 1000x589
>>877980
>>877994
This is what happens when you share some Sacred Truth with this fallen world. It literally cannot comprehend it.
>>
>>878029
more like
This is what happens when someone replies to a post with something not mentioned in the post, everyone will think you're a shitposter.
>>
As an atheist who was raised roman catholic, I can't help but respect the Church's hand in preserving a fuckton of the knowledge from the ancient world that might have been lost during the "Dark Ages" (although that term is obviously a bit misleading), as well as many priests' contribution to science over the centuries. Although it also obviously done shady shit in the past as well, like pretty much any large and old organization.
>>
Polish Catholic

ever since Wyszyński's reign as the Primate Polish Church devolved into some Christian-flavoured heresy

not that I complain, considering the state of modern age Church
>>
>>877994

Eat God, Be God.

Like many of the beliefs and rites of Romanism, transubstantiation was first practiced by pagan religions. The noted historian Durant said that belief in transubstantiation as practiced by the priests of the Roman Catholic system is "one of the oldest ceremonies of primitive religion." The Story Of Civilization, p. 741. The syncretism and mysticism of the Middle East were great factors in influencing the West, particularly Italy. Roman Society From Nero To Marcus Aurelius, Dill. In Egypt priests would consecrate mest cakes which were supposed to be come the flesh of Osiris. Encyclopedia Of Religions, Vol. 2, p. 76. The idea of transubstantiation was also characteristic of the religion of Mithra whose sacraments of cakes and Haoma drink closely parallel the Catholic Eucharistic rite. Ibid. The idea of eating the flesh of deity was most popular among the people of Mexico and Central America long before they ever heard of Christ; and when Spanish missionaries first landed in those countries "their surprise was heightened, when they witnessed a religious rite which reminded them of communion...an image made of flour...and after consecration by priests, was distributed among the people who ate it...declaring it was the flesh of deity..." Prescott's Mexico, Vol. 3.
>>
>>878021
I'm even more out of date, as I do not know who that is.
>>
>>878029
You don't have any sacred truth, papist. You don't know Who He is.
>>
>>871220
>>871242
>>871246
>>871479
Same. Family is old Italian, so did Latin masses and did a few years of nun-taught Catholic school as a kid. Catholic school ruined Catholicism for me.
>>
Why do all popes look the same?
>>
>>878175
how do protestants reconcile that line of thinking with John:6, 41-58

I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”

The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?”

Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.”
>>
>>871206
I am
No
Yes

The faith keeps my path in life clear. I sometimes fall, but I know what I have to do
>>
>>878243
>Catholic school ruined Catholicism for me.
Been there, buddy.
>>
>>873441
20 about to get confirmed also want to know
>>
Born and raised
Yes
Yes
>>
>>873281
>>873282
>>873309
Adult converts are confirmed during Easter. Age has nothing to do with it
>>
I would say I am somewhat into the faith. I've been to several masses as an adult, and I believe that Christ is my lord and savior.
>>
File: image.jpg (281 KB, 1600x1026) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281 KB, 1600x1026
>>878265
They don't. Just like they don't properly address most of the issues concerning Protestantism. Instead, they do what they usually do; make a baseless claim that Jesus was speaking metaphorically, despite the immutable evidence to the contrary. (We're talking about our Lord's own words here, mind you. If Protestants will twist the words of Jesus Christ, and deny them so easily, then I think it's safe to say that their consciounces are not to be trusted and that they are truly in need of Holy Mother Church)
>>
File: 1449099364670.png (427 KB, 514x662) Image search: [Google]
1449099364670.png
427 KB, 514x662
>tfw my parents didn't even baptize me.
>>
>>880811
kind of disgusting desu
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.