[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Byzantium post-1204
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1434333644060.jpg (400 KB, 1062x764) Image search: [Google]
1434333644060.jpg
400 KB, 1062x764
Ok /his/ I know this might be very specific but how much decently sourced information do we have on Byzantium in the years following the 4th crusade?

I'm talking Latin Empire and Palaiologos restoration, and mainly economic (tax records, treasury size etc.) and population (both of Constantinople and the countryside) stats, but literally any will do.

We all know Byzantium was weakened by the 4th crusade, but by how much, and how well did they hang on in the 250 years that followed? Were they ultra fucked and cucked out of all their wealth? Or did they have a large population and economy even after the crusade?
>>
>>868045
One estimate I know of puts Constantinople's population prior to the 4th Crusade at 400,000, and the Byzantines retook it at about 35,000 people, and rebuilt the city to around 70,000. Hurt them pretty bad.
>>
>>868045
After the Palaiologoi reclaimed Constantinople from the Latin Empire they gradually lost control of Nicaea and Asia Minor to the Turks and Athens to the Catalans during his reign https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andronikos_II_Palaiologos
After that there was a disastrous civil war between Ioannes Katakouzenos - duke of thessalonika and emperor Andronikos III.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andronikos_III_Palaiologos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_VI_Kantakouzenos
After that the ottomans took Thrace and the Serbs and Bulgarians the rest of the Balkans except Morea.
Then Bayezid conquered most of the Balkans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayezid_I
From the 1350s onwards there were effectively reduced to a vassal state of the ottomans and were only saved by the mongols coming in and defeating bayezid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ankara
After that Ioannes VIII attempted to get help from the West by mending the Schism but it wasultimately fruitless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_VIII_Palaiologos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Florence
Then the fall of constantinople happened at 1453 thus ending the empire.
Trebizond fell om 1461.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Trebizond
>>
I believe at this point, the Byzantines were barely subsisting by selling off their relics and some meaningless (but cool-sounding) titles to Western rulers.
>>
The venetians voted for moving the capital of their Empire to byzantium. The motion didn't pass for one vote.
>>
>>868415
source
>>
>>868657
Well, to be honest, I read it on Wikipedia, since it was unsorced I had to search a bit to find something. Anyways, from Delle Iscrizioni Veneziane Volume 4, Emanuele Antonio Cicogna, 1834:

>Non tacerò per altro una circostanza
assai rilevante della vita , passata sotto silenzio dalla maggior parte degli storici, ed é che circa 1224-1225 lo Ziani aveva proposto
al Maggior Consiglio, che la sede della Veneta Repubblica si trasportasse a Costantinopoli.Il Cronista (del secolo XVI) d' altronde riputatissimo Daniele Barbaro inedito tuttore, la assevera, ed è il passo a p. 426 e segg. del mio esemplare, e il primo, ch'io sappia a recarlo sì fu il chiarissimo Temanza a pag. 11 e nell'appendice a p. 41, e segg. dell'Antica pianta di Venezia. II doge nella sua concione fece vedere che per la infelice situazione, per la insalubrità e sterilità degli estuarii , per li tremuoti frequenti (i) per la frequente sommersione dell' isole che circondano la città, per le inimicizie e rivalità dei vicini popoli , converrebbe per la terza volta emigrare da Venezia. Ma Angelo Falier pnocurator di s. Marco uomo di grande autorità con molto calore e con fortissime ragioni si oppose alla proposizione del doge, e messa a ballottazione , fu dalla maggiorità de' voti rigettata. (2)

Here it basically says that Doge Ziani, successor to Dandolo, proposed to move the capital again for a list of reasons including the frequent earthquakes, the unhealthfulness of the lagoon and the rivarly from the neighbour italian polities.

(cont)
>>
>>869089
>tfw when you fail at greentexting
anyways

>(2) A tale notizia io non posso prestar tutta la fede, spezialmente perchè non trovo autori più antichi del Barbaro che la dica. Avvi bensì Girolamo Savina contemporaneo al Barbaro, il antichi del Barbaro, il quale la ripete a p. 67 t. e 68 del mio esemplare scrivendo. „ In questo tempo questo generoso e sapientissimo dose desideroso de sgrandir l'imp del suo comun nelle parte Oriental el deliberò nel suo animo de voler poner una parte de andar a stantiar tutti in la città de Costantinopoli, e li far capo del suo dominio... Reduti che furno tutti insieme in ditto Cons. el dose parlò de molte et varie cose ad utele et Honor del Comun e finalmente venne proponendo l'andar ad habitar in Costantinopoli e là far el cavo del dominio del Comun mostrandoli el grande utele e benef. e la grandezza (cosi) de conseguir grande imp. ad esso Comun, donde fu molti parlamenti e dispute chi in favor chi in contrario molti et molti zorni, finalmente el valoroso dose mandò la parte sopra questo la qual fu ballotada et haue dell'andar ad habitar a Costantinopoli ballote 321 e de non ballote 323, e fu prese de doi ballote de non andar. (Il cronista Barbaro all'incontro dice) : et se trova scrito che una sola ballota fu quella che fece tanto giuditio „ (cioè di non andare a Cospoli).

Here he reports the fact that after days and days of discussion, the council voted with the results being 323 for staying in Venice, 321 for moving to Costantinople. He also admits that we can't be sure of the informations here written, since there are no sources previous of the XVIth century about those facts. The sources from the XVIth century are two, Daniele Barbaro and Girolamo Savina.

(cont.)
>>
>>869148
>Il Sandi (T. II. p. 6ao) ripete pure la medesima notizia cavandola dal Barbaro e dal Savina, osservando che altri migliori cronisti però di tal fatto non parlano. Il Tentori (T. IV. p. 128) ripete quanto ha il Sandi; ritenendo giustamente che a screditare questa notizia basta il silenzio del Monacis, del Dandolo, del Sanudo ec, trovandola poi anche inverosimile, perchè i Veneziani non eran padroni di tutta la città di Cospoli ove risiedeva l'impero latino, ma di una sola parte, e come dunque avrebbero voluto trasportar la sede del loro governo in una città di cui non erano padroni? Il Marin (T. IV. 304) osserva che se son vere le due Orazioni suddette recate dal Temanza (ossia dal Barbaro) "è d'uopo darsi a credere che l'opinione di trasportar la sede vi fosse come troppo ragionevole, mentre gl'interessi di commercio e la prontezza di poterlo fare perla vicinanza dei luoghi nei quali ei si facea, la facilità di acquistare dai francesi il diritto che aveano sull'impero dovevano fare grande impressione ed adescamento in molti che alla contemplazione di questi vantaggi trovavano pieriamente soddisfatto il loro interesse." Però a giudizio del Marin, i più avveduti dovevan detestare il progetto considerando che la sicurezza del sito ov'è posta Venezia è un vantaggio per una popolazione non paragonabile a qualsiasi altro.
>Nè è a tacere che anche Enrico Dandolo doge voleva persuadere a trasportare la sede della Repubb. a Cospoli. Lo attestava la cronaca mss. di Agostino Agostini cronista agli altri due sopraddetti contemporaneo, ove nel mio esemplare leggesi/che dopo acquistata quella città il doge Dandolo fece "ogni possibil istanza in persuader Venetiani che si dovesse andar a star in Cospoli affermando che fra poco tempo il doge et signoria haveria tutto quel dominio perchè coloro amavano grandemente Venetiani et desideravano che si andasse ad habitar là; ma mai li buoni Venetiani volsero assentir di partirsi da Venetia;"

(cont, final one)
>>
>>869181
here the author reports the doubt of other venetian hystorians about this story, which is the fact that Venetian didn't hold the entirety of byzantium but only a part of it, thus rendering impossible to move the government to a city Venice didn't even control.
Manin (I suppose the last Doge?) notes that trade interests and the facility to buy from the french the right they had on the empire must have impressed most of the venetians.
The author then adds that Dandolo wanted to move the capital of the republic to Costantinople, as attested by Agostino Agostini, another XVIth century chronicler.

I might add to this that Dandolo stayed in Costantinople until his death, with no intentions of going back to Venice.
>>
>>869221
Damn. Imagine the possibilities.
>>
>>869975
It really makes you wonder
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.