[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys play any /his/ vidya? Would you like to see more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12
File: napoleon-total-war-24.jpg (333 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
napoleon-total-war-24.jpg
333 KB, 1920x1080
Do you guys play any /his/ vidya?
Would you like to see more vidya based on different era and civilization?
>>
I got so fed up with Empire that I never bought Napoleon, it is the only entry in the series that I never played
>>
>>86794
Most recently I've been playing

>Total War Shogun 2
>War Game European Escalation
>Mount & Blade Warband

I would love to see a continual, low-threshold warfare game as in archaic Rome.
>>
There are threads suited to this discussion on /vg/.

It is my opinion that video games threads just lower the level of discourse for the board as a whole.
>>
>>86794
Been playing the kaiserreich mod for darkest hour
It's been pretty fun trying to regain lost lands as the Russian empire
>>
>>86860
/vg/ is just circlejerk and /v/ is just /b/2.0

I'm sure there are other anon who enjoy /his/ vidya that avoid the shithole that's /v/
>>
>>86794
>Would you like to see more vidya based on different era and civilization?
t-b-h
>Total War wouldnt touch 1500's-1600s Europe
>Total War wouldn't whole of Asia
>Total War wouldn't modern world
>or 1800's

>>86860
>It is my opinion that video games threads just lower the level of discourse for the board as a whole.
>/pol/ topics since /his/ foundation
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (234 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
234 KB, 1280x720
>>86794
I like the Cossacks games by GSC Game World.

Pike and shot warfare is rarely explored in any medium and it's nice that something so popular all over the world was made in Ukraine of all places.
>>
I usually only play Civ, which got me interested in /his/. Super stoke that Hiro made this board.
>>
I'd like an open world RPG set in the roman empire, something mount and blade styled wherein which you can serve as a soldier, do well, gain power
or play as a slave
slave sim
fetish, yes
>>
>>86860

do you see it bleeding into other threads? all the vidya talk seems to be in a couple of it's own threads and the /his/ crowd wants to talk more about the historical aspects than the game mechanics where that would be the focus in a /vg/ thread. you will have different crowds from both communities in each thread.

its at least something else besides

> was the nuke justified
> holocaust hoax
> most meme philosopher
> we wuz kings
>>
>>86940
Once we get Mount & Blade 2 you can pretty much be certain that a Rome mod will be one of the first to go into production. With the capabilities of their new engine and development tools we ought to be able to see some really impressive stuff. Mount & Blade is probably the greatest thing to ever come out of Turkey.
>>
I'm playing Europa Barbarorum II (on Medieval 2 Total War) and still familiarising myself with the 'sticky' (more organic) formation and orders.

I really want a historically accurate game about the Bronze Age. Hittites/Anatolians vs. Mycenaeans (Trojan War!) vs. Assyria vs. Egypt vs. Canaan vs. Babylon vs. Iranian/Elamites vs. Zagros vs. Indo-Europeans (Minanni) !!
>>
>>86964
lets be honest
Bannerlord will never come out
it's too good to be true
>>
>>86917
Cossacks 3 is on its way
>>
>>87022
or it will be incredibly underwhelming.
>>
>French & Indian War vidya never
>>
>>86917
Look up a game literally called 'Pike and Shot'

It looks interesting but it's not really my thing.
>>
>>87025
It's so exciting. Not only does it mean a revival of GSC, it could also potentially breath some new life into isometric style rts games. Hopefully it catches on outside of Eastern Europe, I miss rts so much.

>>87022
Have you seen the gameplay videos? They're being strangely tight-lipped with a lot of details but they have at least shown us a solid amount of footage of the game in action. We know they have something and that it's on its way, I'm not hoping for it any time soon though, I'm not greedy. I think it'll get done, but I won't push it and go expecting it within a year.
>>
>>87030
the idea I may one day play a perfect sequel to mount and blade is a reason to live
>>
>there was almost a cod about 'nam

I want my shallow shooters to go back to being shallow historical war shooters.
>>
File: mohicans.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
mohicans.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>87058
Holy fuck I didn't need these feels.
>>
>>87099
I've seen them
literally putting off an heroing til it comes out
>>
>>86860
/vg/ is a black hole of fucked up ironically autistic koreaboos and weaboos
>>
>>87091
That actually looks just like my kind of thing. Thanks. I might actually get it.
>>
>>87058
Assassin's Creed Rogue is the closest thing we've got. It's actually pretty decent.
>>
>>86992
Pretty sure theres a major mod on the Bronze Age in progress for Total War Rome 2.
>>
>>87108

There was enough 'nam to sate the appetite I think. Have a field/jungle level where you call in napalm strikes, an urban evac level where shit's on fire yo, and that's all there is that I wanted to experience. Black Ops had to make room for levels in 1960s Cuba and Hong Kong, which were very cool to see. I'm not mad that Vietnam got shafted for a general Red Scare game.
>>
File: 2015-11-02_00004.jpg (732 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-02_00004.jpg
732 KB, 1920x1080
who /totalwarattila/ here?
>>
>>86794
I play EU 4 and Warband ,I just hope those turks finish bannerlord quickly from what I've seen its going to be great.
>>
>>87167
what's the name?
>>
>>87172
I actually wanted to see where the Americans were getting BTFO by the guerilla warfare so they had to enlist the help of the Hmong people to get their asses out of there.
>>
>>87119

Can you imagine if Last of the Mohicans came out today?

>on-screen scalpings
>live pagan human sacrifices
>hacking hostages to death with stone axes
>deep woods ambushes

hashtag idle n-no more...
>>
>>87187

Perfect game right now other than the fact that cavalry has way too much fucking mass and will roflstomp anything other than the new Arabian pikemen that just got released.
>>
>>87187
I would be if my only computer wasn't a six year old laptop. I still like Barbarian invasion for Rome. Franks were fun. Are the Franks still cool in Attila? Does it actually feel like Total War again after it looked like Rome 2 ruined everything?
>>
>>87139
Yeah and I'd rather that crowd stay on their containment board instead of spreading their filth here.
>>
File: Eurasian Cavalrymen-14.jpg (501 KB, 1190x1646) Image search: [Google]
Eurasian Cavalrymen-14.jpg
501 KB, 1190x1646
>>87187
Fucking hated Huns there. Total War never gets them right
>Rome BI: Huns are just generic stahlhelm wearing Barbarians with bows
>Attila: THEY FROM CENTRAL ASIA = THEY MONGOLS :DDDDD
>Cunts invading 4-5th Century Europe wearing 9th-12th Century & fictional shit shit.
Fuckfaces.
>>
>>86940
There's a good Roman era mod for Warband called Rome at War with both single and multiplayer.
All the models and units are extremely detailed and accurate which is awesome. The mod is set in 300b.c though so no empire yet
>>
>>87225

Franks are an anti-Rome infantry faction. Honestly the Geats are where it is at with their FUCK YOUR WINTER faction trait
>>
>>87275
>Geats
That brings to mind Beowulf but I'm not certain why. How do seasons work in Attila? What edge do the Geats have? The idea of factions having weather specialties sounds really cool.
>>
>>87099

They've not shown (m)any improvements though. They've shown stupid additions like mini games but what people want from Bannerlord is Warband with improved graphics, improved tactics, diplomacy, sieges etc.
>>
File: 220px-Xiaozong[1].jpg (15 KB, 220x365) Image search: [Google]
220px-Xiaozong[1].jpg
15 KB, 220x365
>you will never get a medieval China or Mesoamerica citybuilder
>>
>>87304
They've shown both improved diplomacy and sieges.
>>
>>87268
I thought the sp was only alpha. Is it still worth a look? IE not bug ridden to hell
>>
>>87332
>>87304
This is not history.

Have some respect for the board.
>>
>>87304
Have you seen the siege engines? Soldiers actually get alongside towers and push them now instead of forming up around them in a group of six to channel their telekinesis

Also from what little we've seen of soldiers standing in formations in the released videos they seem to have made some improvements. Formations are now more complicated than variations on straight lines if nothing else.

I have faith in the developers, and if they have I have backup faith in the modding community. The devs know that mods are what gives Mount & Blade its longevity so moddability has been a big focus in Bannerlord's development. I have a good feeling about the future.
>>
>>87302

units that arent immune to snow/desert attrition will lose men in the snow/desert

Geats are immune to snow attrition, Arabic/Ethiopian nations are immune to desert attrition.
>>
>>87302

Seasons work based on the historical ice age that caused the great migration. As time goes on land in the north becomes less fertile and winters last loner. During winter any army that isn't garrisoned or encamped takes attrition damage and most factions cannot move armies through the snow without losing men. The Geats however take no winter attrition and are free to roam the map year round
>>
>>87378
>>87389
That sounds cool. I like the idea of giving non-roman factions an edge that isn't a shitload of free units all the time to keep the pressure on them.
>>
>>87351
It has some bugs and IIRC uses some native scenes still, but nothing major I've seen. It's definitely playable.
Pic related, Etruscans
>>
File: 12.jpg (19 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
19 KB, 208x210
>>87187
Attila Total War was just as shit as Rome thanks to the Empire engine, so let's not kid ourselves. Medieval 2 mods blow it out of the water.
>>
File: Changdao Swordsman.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Changdao Swordsman.png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>86916
>Total War wouldn't whole of Asia
There's a Medieval II mod though called "All Under Heaven"

Set during the tumultuous period of 1100's Asia.

It's got
>Korea
Goryeo
>Chinese factions
Northern Jin Dynasty
Southern Song Dynasty
Tangut Xi-Xia Kingdom
Kingdom of Dali
>SEA
Dai Viet
Champa Kingdom
Khmer Empire
Sena Dynasty
Pagan Kingdom
Srivijaya Empire
>Central Asia
Kara-Khitai Khanate
Mongol Khanate
>>
>>87477
Forgot:
>Japan
Taira
Minamoto
>>
>>87454
Oh, I forgot, here's a link to the info+downloads thread:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=300204.0
If you like multiplayer, there are weekly events on Saturdays. They're pratty small though. There's also a few active clans in the mod
>>
>>87405

The other factions don't get free units (unless its the AI Huns and their endless stacks while Attila is alive) but they can recruit well balanced armies from a single province while Rome has to spread its military buildings out to 3 designated military provinces in order to make an army that isn't just spear men. Also you spend more time fighting Roman rebels and breakaway states that are more aggressive than regular AI factons that by the time you get around to the barbarians they have tier 3 troops which are equal if not better than your own
>>
>>87310
Ever tried Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom?
>>
>>86794
Napoleon: Total War + Napoleonic Total War III mod is great. As close to realism as you'll get.
>>
>>87310
Yep, never.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor:_Rise_of_the_Middle_Kingdom
>>
>>87709
>rated E

It's like they want you want to miss out on all the fun stuff.
>>
I play all PDS gsg games aswell as Total War + some others.
I really can't wait for CA to make an Empire 2 though. It is my favourite historical period, and I think they can finally do it right. (I loved Napoleon, but it is a bit dated and small in scape).
>>
>>87811

At this point they should do an Asian Kingdoms TW. Unless they do Medieval 3 (which is overdue) they need to focus on the last civilizations they never touched
>>
>>87851
Sure. I didn't like too much when they announced to release a Warhammer TW. I guess it is interesting for the Warhammer fans and it is good that they try something new, but I prefer that they make historical games.
>>
>>87896
As a somewhat casual Warhammer fan I'm not too interested in Warhammer Total War either. I think that the setting works better for smaller company and campaign based structures such as Shadow of the Horned Rat, an incredibly dated but very good and faithful Warhamer game. I'm very interested in the Mordheim adaption coming soon though.

The history was always a big and cool part of Total War even if they were never that accurate so their decision to shift to a fantasy IP for a big release is a bit disappointing.
>>
>>87896

The problem with Warhammer is that only uber nerds who will never get laid care about warhammer while the market for strategy games is already small as millennials just want to play Call of Duty 12: Soap McTavish in Space
>>
I liked AC 3.

There, I said it.
>>
Does anybody remember Talonsoft's Eastern Front and Western Front games.

I loved them. Lots of interesting info in them too. I taught me a lot.
>>
>>89369
To say it on /his/

I applaud your courage.
>>
How are Koei's grand strategy games? I've been looking into RotK and NA but I'm not too sure what the main focus of the games are, or how the differ from each other, from other strategy games and between instalments (since there are many, and people are divided on which ones are best).
>>
>>86794
Why are there giant spiders on a Napoleonic battlefield? Is this warhammer or something gay like that?
>>
>>90878
>He doesn't know about the African War Spiders that Napoleon used
>>
>>91370
the ones in OP's image are east Prussian Mountain Spiders, you can tell because of their long spindly legs that allowed them to climb over rocky terrain
>>
>>91436
Oh, of course. How stupid of me. The two of them do have a similar coloring, though.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.