[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the best way to get into Heaven by good works or by faith?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: trinity.jpg (38 KB, 1108x1080) Image search: [Google]
trinity.jpg
38 KB, 1108x1080
Is the best way to get into Heaven by good works or by faith?

I can see problems with both.

You could be a Catholic like Hitler and kill 50 million people but still get into Heaven if you have faith and say sorry to Lord Jesus Christ on your deathbed.

Or you could be a Protestant that does good works all your life, like Martin Luther King, and then goes to Hell because you lost faith on your deathbed.

What is the best way to go to Heaven Christianbros?
>>
File: trinity.png (91 KB, 528x398) Image search: [Google]
trinity.png
91 KB, 528x398
bump
>>
>>855405
Violently attack a pagan temple and pagans so that if they should kill or persecute you as a result you can call yourself a martyr for God.
>>
Faith without active work is dead. Similarly, active work without faith is also dead. It's like a dollar. You can't really use it to buy anything if one side is George Washington, but the other side is white blank. There's no best way to go.
>>
>>855405
If you have faith then you will perform good works. The entire "faith vs. works" idea is a meme.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 785x954) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 785x954
>>855405
>the Catholic Hitler meme
So explain the Ahnenerbe expeditions to find pagan occult junk, the Joseph Goebbels' diaries saying Hitler hated Christianity and folks like pic related.

He might have been born Catholic but he sure didn't die practicing it.
>>
>>856923
Yeah it's just semantics, but the once saved always saved is literally the stupidest idea humanity has ever come up with.
>>
File: Religion threads.png (137 KB, 1010x274) Image search: [Google]
Religion threads.png
137 KB, 1010x274
>>855405
Both
>>
>>856923
This. If you have faith in Christ, follow his teachings, and have the Holy Spirit within you, you will do good works, not to be rewarded but for their own sake. Only retards use the good works meme as a way to make other Christians look bad.
>>
What else do you need besides faith in Jesus? Just curious
>>
>>855405
>What is the best way to go to Heaven Christianbros?
Both
James 2:24
You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
>>
>>857050
You need to follow the commandments, and give everything you own to the poor.

>16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

>17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

>18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

>19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

>20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

>21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

>22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

>23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

>24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
>>
>>857009

Agreed. Just talked to a couple a few months ago who said they believed a "saved" person could go out and kill multitudes of people and still get into heaven.

I had no idea such a heretical belief of heaven existed.

It literally shocked me.
>>
>>855405
Not sure.

I'd go with both.
>>
We don't go to heaven when we die, we wait in the grave for Jesus' second coming.

If you read through the New Testament looking for promises of heaven, you will find that they are fairly thin on the ground. The ultimate Christian hope is for resurrection and to reign with Christ.
>>
What happened with Martin Luther on his death bed ?? Lost his faith ??
>>
Why would his death bed be any different than his life?
We usually figure the closer to death you are the closer to God you try to become
But it's a question nobody can answer.
>>
>>855405
Youve really only stated problems with getting into heaven by faith. So good works us probably your answer.
>>
>>856909
Faith without works is not faith, that's pretty much what James meant, true faith will manifests through works.
>>
>>858449
He said Martin Luther King you moron.
>>
We are dead in our sins and have no power to do anything that would make God save us.

We are saved by God's sovereign free grace and NOTHING ELSE.
>>
Correction: what happened w Martin Luther King on his death bed? ? Lost his faith ??
How would anyone know that, he died pretty instantly ...
>>
>>858527
Sounds like once a.person is saved, they can do whatever the hell they want !!! Smh
>>
>>858545
Not him, but once you are saved, you are basically 'forced' to do good works because of grace. There is no other way.
>>
>>858536

It doesn't say Martin Luther King lost his faith. Read it more carefully.
>>
>>858497
The problem of course is that once the source of Faith is through the person's own volition, it implies an individual making effort towards a goal or towards the ends of his convictions. Sola Fide doesn't allow this. And it's also why OP's question is kinda pointless. What's more important is where the source of faith lies
>>
"..forced to do good works..."" !!! WTH!!!??? :-/
>>
What works did the thief on the cross do, to be granted access to heaven? I'm jealous yoooo
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.