[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it only Catholics and Orthodox that are unable to com
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 8
File: God.gif (100 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
God.gif
100 KB, 3000x3000
Why is it only Catholics and Orthodox that are unable to come up with a proper explanation for the Trinity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8eKXpGjNY
>>
Because it is absurd concept in the first place and I am surprised that it was even invented.
>>
File: image.png (32 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32 KB, 429x410
>>855143
As opposed to whom exactly?
>>
>>855143
They have nothing to do with God; they're running their own separate thing.
>>
>God the Father has a son
>But he and his son are equal
>and both eternal
>and they are both the same God
>but different persons
who came up with this shitty excuse not to call yourself polytheistic?
>>
>>855156

Protestants like Kent Hovind. A source was provided.
>>
>>855195
>using Kent Hovind as a source for anything
>>
File: atha.png (190 KB, 644x859) Image search: [Google]
atha.png
190 KB, 644x859
>>855143
There's no need for further explanation than this.
>>
>>855195

You are aware that Professor Kent Hovind has a PhD in science?
>>
>>855208
a great example of why creditionals don't mean shit
>>
>>855238

Heretics like you will burn in Hell.
>>
>>855274
And you will rot in a grave and never see any of your friends or family ever again
>>
>>855322

You're basically calling every Protestant that ever lived stupid.

There are millions and millions of Protestants, you're just calling us all thick.
>>
>>855362
yes
>>
>>855362
the number of believers beside you doesn't change what's true. besides that having stupid beliefs does not neccesarily mean that you are stupid. I have nothing against believers, but you specifically: fuck you
>>
>>855181
He's a threefold God, not three gods in One.

One God, manifested to us in three persons, so that we might get to know Him a little better.
>>
>>855379
What person is Holy Spirit one? I know about Jesus guy and god from the Old Testament.
>>
>>855379
by the same logic hinduism is monotheistic
>>
>>855362
You all are you fucking drum banger
>>
>>855383
The Holy Spirit is technically the aspect of God that resides in man, or something like that, I'm not a Christian and this stuff is kind of silly from my perspective.
>>
>>855386
t. third worlder
>>
>>855205
I was good up until it contradicted this:

John 15:26 [ The Coming Rejection ] “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.

and this

John 14:28 You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I.

and this

"whoever wants to be saved must thus think of the Trinity"

>Nowhere in the bible.

and this

"not by taking the deity into flesh"

John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

and this

"This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully, he cannot be saved."

Nowhere in the bible.

Other than that, not bad.
>>
>>855383
The Holy Spirit is literally the Spirit of God. Just like humans have a body and spirit, God has God the Father and His Spirit.
>>
>>855238
So, first you reject him for not being a scientist, and then you reject him for having beliefs different from yours, when he is a scientist, and you are not.
>>
>>855383
He's the one sent to the disciples 10 days after the Ascension, on the Day of Pentecost.

He's the one that lives in you, when you're saved.

He's the one who resurrects you to eternal life.

He's the one you cannot blaspheme, and be forgiven.
>>
>>855385
Yeah, it really isn't. No Hindu says the 330,000,000 demon gods are really only 1 god.
>>
>>855417
Of course they do. It's right in the Baghavad Gita, chapter 11.
>The Blessed Lord said: My dear Arjuna, O son of Pṛthā, behold now My opulences, hundreds of thousands of varied divine forms, multicolored like the sea.
>O best of the Bhāratas, see here the different manifestations of Ādityas, Rudras, and all the demigods. Behold the many things which no one has ever seen or heard before.
>Whatever you wish to see can be seen all at once in this body. This universal form can show you all that you now desire, as well as whatever you may desire in the future. Everything is here completely.
>But you cannot see Me with your present eyes. Therefore I give to you divine eyes by which you can behold My mystic opulence.
>Sanjaya said: O King, speaking thus, the Supreme, the Lord of all mystic power, the Personality of Godhead, displayed His universal form to Arjuna.
>>
>>855412
having a PhD (from a fucking bible college especially) does not mean that you are a scientist. he was not employed as such. he was an apologist, and a shitty one too. and now he is a felon. what a great role model
>>
>>855417
They actually do. It's the core tenet of their faith in fact.
>>
>>855385
>>855417
"He is One only without a second."
[Chandogya Upanishad 6:2:1]

"Sages (learned Priests) call one God by many names."
[Rigveda 1:164:46]

"O friends, do not worship anybody but Him, the Divine One. Praise Him alone."
[Rigveda 8:1:1]
>>
>>855378
>the number of believers beside you doesn't change what's true.

Exactly. That is why Protestants are correct and not Catholics, unless you are calling is all stupid. Throwing around personal insults like you are doing is no way to make a serious argument.

Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity are based of logical positivism, which is incoherent.
>>
>>855417
>Protestants proving their stupidity once again
>>
>>855438
>Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity are based of logical positivism, which is incoherent.
Holy shit, this is the dumbest thing I've read this month
If this is bait, I applaud you.
>>
>>855434
He was a tax preparation pioneer, calling all of his employees missionaries.

Caesar no likey.
>>
>>855438
I was not throwing around personal insults. my very point was that people can have beliefs that are wrong without being stupid
>>
>>855362
>stupid
He's calling you heretics, that's worse than being stupid
>>
>>855460
That bible that gives him such a raging erection does say that you should render unto caeser what is caeser's...
>>
File: 1335218647063.jpg (61 KB, 1205x881) Image search: [Google]
1335218647063.jpg
61 KB, 1205x881
How can Christians in general justify hating each other because of theological differences?

The argument between Papists and Protestants has literally been going on for 400 years and you've been killing each others children over it.

I just don't get why you can just move on and just realize that, at least as it seems for me, that it shouldn't matter as long as you believe in Jesus Christ.
>>
>>855432
>>855436
>>855437
>>855444

Monism, a system wherein Ultimate Reality is believed to be the unpersonified essence underlying (or encompassing) all life.Hindu monists, then, would argue that Hindu gods and goddesses have only a provisional reality and are, ultimately, illusory/unreal.

That is not monotheism, people.
>>
>>855482
Yup. It's a pretty interesting idea though. What's a missionary? Only someone who travels to the bush of Africa to promote a religion?
>>
>>855489
You see my friend, it seems that your conception of God vastly differs from my own, now let us engage in petty theological shitflinging and burn Europe for the next few years.
>>
>>855493
and neither is having 3 gods that just called a single god
>>
>>855489
Why do you call papists "Christians", when they've murdered more Christians than all other groups combined?
>>
>>855468

He probably wants to burn everyone that reads the Bible, like the real Catholic God Aquinas, or Satan as a I name him.

>>855468

You're saying Protestants ate imbeciles, I assure you we are not.

>>855455

Modern Catholicism and Orthodox 'Christianity' are entirely based on logical positivist Darwinism.
>>
>>855512
There is only One God.

Monotheism, by definition. Trinitarian by usage.
>>
>>855493
>the unpersonified essence
>quoted Hindu source literally talks about "the Personality of Godhead"
Further,
>My dear Lord, I see assembled together in Your body all the demigods and various other living entities. I see Brahmā sitting on the lotus flower as well as Lord Śiva and many sages and divine serpents.
>O Lord of the universe, I see in Your universal body many, many forms-bellies, mouths, eyes-expanded without limit. There is no end, there is no beginning, and there is no middle to all this.
>You are the supreme primal objective; You are the best in all the universes; You are inexhaustible, and You are the oldest; You are the maintainer of religion, the eternal Personality of Godhead.
>>
>>855489
Because to these people, the highest stakes possible are on the line, they think that if they worship God the wrong way it will condemn them to an eternity of pain and suffering, so they will argue forever about it out of fear that they might be on the wrong side. Which sounds like a really shit deal to me, better to just stay out of it.
>>
>>855522
the trinity is a post hoc justification of god having a son in a religion with roots in monotheism
>>
>>855520
>believing in creationism
you really are retarded
>>
>>855520
>You're saying Protestants ate imbeciles, I assure you we are not.
And yet you prove in your very next sentence that you are.
>>
>>855534
Shame Arius didn't gain more traction, then all this trinity nonsense would be irrelevant.
>>
>>855525
If you want to worship 330,000,000 demon gods, please feel free to do so. You're obviously not suffering from being at the bottom of a caste system, and I'm pretty sure you're not going to be "reincarnated" higher than you are right now.
>>
>>855530
Not worship God the wrong way.

Fail to cross from death into life.

Once you cross from death into life, you're free to do whatever you want to do. And believe me, your wants change.
>>
>>855546
>I don't have a counter-argument so let's try insults!
And you born again retards wonder why people make fun of you.
>>
>>855534
It's in Genesis 1. Right off the bat. Let Us make mankind in Our image......so He made mankind in His image.....after the Breath of God, the Holy Spirit, was brooding on the face of the waters.

Right off the bat, 3500 years ago.
>>
>>855536
Nobody's retarded for believing the truth.
>>
>>855542
And heaven's population would have declined drastically.
>>
>>855520
>protesturds
>>
>>855546
Sorry, but I'm not even Hindu, I'm just pointing out how wrong you are.
>>
>>855555
actually "Us" is the canaanite pantheon
>>
>>855553
You say the Brahaman is one essence, then try to personify it, when it's known that there are dozens of avatars, and 330,000,000 gods in Hinduism.

You want to pretend that's monotheist, please feel free to do so.

The jangling you hear is cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>855560
exactly, that's not the truth
>>
>>855567
You pointed out nothing, actually. But feel free to continue posting about things you have no knowledge of. It's kind of funny. I guess.
>>
>>855570
Thousands of years before canaanites.

kek
>>
>>855571
that's exactly the same as having one God that has 3 personifications
>>
>>855572
You don't know the truth; the truth is that in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

Not believing that, based on nothing, is retarded.
>>
>>855577
It's not even close. It tries to be, since Christianity is so much more popular and powerful, but it's not even close.
>>
>>855555
If you knew Biblical Hebrew grammar you'd know that one of the words for God, Elohim, is conventionally plural but used with singular verbs, with connotations similar to the royal "We". It's linguistic, not theological.
(nice quints btw)
>>
File: fedora32.png (211 KB, 452x419) Image search: [Google]
fedora32.png
211 KB, 452x419
>>855536
>>855538
>>855566
>>
>>855576
>thousands of years before the canaanite
the oldest scrap of the bible dates to the 7th century B.C. also hebrew is a fucking canaanite language that doesn't exist distinctly from phoenician until 1000B.C.
>>
>>855489

And the Catholics want that realization and have had it since Luther went full autistic and started his own Church (his call for reform was just and well needed, he just reacted like an autist about it).

Protestants are the ones who scream bullshit at Catholics and even eachother.
>>
>>855577
Hindu views on monotheism. Hinduism is a religion with diverse views on the concept of God. Different Hindu denominations have different conceptions of God, including henotheism, monotheism, panentheism, pantheism, monism, and sometimes atheism or non-theism (see Advaita) are found in a minority of Hindu denominations.

kek

#rekt by wiki
>>
>>855579
it's better to base your beliefs on an obvious lie than on empirical proof and logic?
>>
>>855581
>It tries to be, since Christianity is so much more popular and powerful
It was written over 200 years before Christianity existed. At least try to do some basic research before spewing nonsense.
>>
>>855584
It's both. A plural word used in the singular sense.

The Trinity. Plural, in the singular. Unity in diversity.
>>
>Dear diary, today I decided to check out /his/ expecting it to be less retarded than /pol/.
>I clicked on the first thread I saw and quickly realized /his/ was easily just as retarded as /pol/.
>I left.
>>
>>855591
The creation was thousands of years before the Canaanites existed, because the Canaanites descended from Noah and his family.

Do try to think logically next time.
>>
>>855602

It's best to stop calling the things of God lies.

It's best to know empirical means observable, repeatable, verifiable, and you were not there to see it.

Going through life fapping to furries and blaspheming God is no way to live, son.
>>
>>855610
Honestly I wish we could just ban all discussion of religion not pertaining to historical discussion. Every single thread on theology is ruined by some born again evangelical and the people who feel the need to call them on their retardation.
>>
>>855606
The oldest copies are not the autographs, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ changed everything.
>>
>>855618
thinking logically is not repeating whatever a book tells you
>>
>>855626
>It's best to know empirical means observable, repeatable, verifiable, and you were not there to see it.
You weren't there to see anything in the Bible so how do you know any of that's true?
>>
>>855626
empirical does not mean observable in the specific retarded sense that you are implying. the theory of the big bang was confirmed by empirical evidence: the cosmic microwave background radiation
>>
>>855640
Oh, great. Now the atheists are here too. Shit thread gets shittier.
>>
>>855640
It's called faith.
>>
>>855143
Because they are the only ones who are logically consistent
>>
>>855654
so it's based on nothing. it's just as valid as Islam, Hinduism or any other retarded religion
>>
>>855654
What makes your faith more correct than logic or evidence and what makes it more correct than someone elses faith>
>>
>>855632
Believing God is logical.
>>
>>855640
God was, and His witness is true.

That's kind of the whole point.
>>
>>855667
The object. The object of faith is what matters, not the presence of faith (as everyone has a measure of faith), but the object that faith is placed in. Die hard faith in allah gets you hell. Passing faith in Jesus gains you heaven.
>>
>>855665
>>855667
Faith does, did you actually think Christianity has a monopoly on truth when there's thousands of other cults out there, you may try to find evidence of it being the one true religion or whatever but it all comes down to faith.
Mind that I'm playing devil's advocate here.
>>
>>855676
Yeah but how do you know you're getting God's witness and not just some bunk made up by people with an agenda?
>>
>>855601
>Different Hindu denominations have different conceptions of God, including henotheism, monotheism, panentheism, pantheism, monism, and sometimes atheism or non-theism
>including monotheism
Literally what were you even trying to say, your own quote supports the guy you were attacking
>>
>>855687
>Faith is more correct than logic and evidence, because faith
Anon please, no circular logic.
>>
>>855684
How do you know the object of your faith is correct? What process did you use to determine this correctness? How do you know you're process isn't flawed?
>>
>>855684
but you have to have faith in christianity already to reach that conclusion. islam believes their object of worship is superior too. how can you actually justify your beliefs more than anyone else?
>>
>>855688
I know because I have faith.
>>
>>855699
What do you mean by logic/evidence and how does that stumps faith?
>>
>>855709
>what is circular logic
>>
>>855705
Christian ethics seem intuitively correct, desu, and Islamic ethics seem intuitively wrong.
>>
Christianity has been a union of the supernatural (faith) and the natural (reason) from the beginning. Mountains of apologetics from the first generations onwards. Start from Summa Theologiae and branch out from there in both directions in time.
>>
>>855713
It's not logic, it's FAITH. How do you not understand this?
>>
>>855725
More like Christianity fucked up by trying to justify faith with reason thus spawning shitloads of apologetics.
>>
>>855725
>Christianity has been a union of the supernatural (faith) and the natural (reason) from the beginning

Toplol.

>Start from Summa Theologiae

Start with your head already biased and then read the early Church fathers?

Even more toplol.
>>
>>855717
well secular ethics seem intuitive to me. how can you prove christian ethcs are correct?
>>
>>855725
Did Jesus ever once mention the importance of reason? I think not. But faith? Almost every sermon in the Gospels. Reason is not Christian, not necessary for a Christian life, will not help you save your soul, not important for anything at all.
>>
>>855746
At least Luther got this one right, Reason is an enemy of Christianity.
>>
>>855733
>>855736
Ignorant and/or retarded people abound.
>>
>>855744
By faith, for the most part.
>>
>>855755
I agree, plenty of theists around.
>>
File: 1456445161796.jpg (54 KB, 640x458) Image search: [Google]
1456445161796.jpg
54 KB, 640x458
>this thread
It's like I'm really on YouTube during the Blasphemy Challenge.
>>
>>855755
>Ignorant and/or retarded people abound.

Tbqh, if you should read anything from a Christian, you should read Marcian or Tertullian, and you can witness the extreme level of retardedness that comes from actual belief in Christianity.
>>
>>855688
By having the Holy Spirit of God living in me, guiding me, and teaching me. I don't know that there's another way. Christianity isn't the sort of thing you can poke your toe in, to see if you like it.
>>
>>855689
That guy said they were monotheistic; that all were one.

This quote says they're all over the board. That different Hindu people believe pretty much every possible conceivable way that gods can relate to each other.
>>
>>855704
Because He rose from the dead. >>855791
>>
>>855705
Theirs directly contradict mine in a way mine warned about:

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Mohammad said that Jesus is not God, that He did not die, that He was not crucified, and that He did not raise from the dead. He said that on the word of an angel.

Shaitan is an angel.
>>
>>855489

This. This is the kind of person the world needs. Even Christian teaching itself said that the knowledge is incomplete, therefore to fill the this absence of understanding, opinions differ, which basically means no one is right. Well, no one until Jesus comes back, that is.
>>
>>855143
>god
>class of being

Aquinas must be rolling in his grave
>>
File: image.png (196 KB, 432x480) Image search: [Google]
image.png
196 KB, 432x480
>>856861
>Even Christian teaching itself said that the knowledge is incomplete, therefore to fill the this absence of understanding, opinions differ, which basically means no one is right
>Christian teaching says that

Why am I skeptical about that claim of yours then?
>>
>>855585
kek
>>
>>856975
Because you don't know much about Christian theology beyond "muh sky daddy can't be shown to exist by empiricism"
>>
>>855383
Casper.
>>
>>857791
How is that "Christian teaching encourages heterodoxy?"
>>
>>855791
How do you know the Holy Spirit of God is living in you, guiding you, or teaching you?

Do you really think your faith is at all different from the millions of muslims who feel like god favors them instead and that their word is the actual law?

Or from the indoctrined masses of Mormons living in the mid-US?

Do you think that your god calls to these people and they ignore it? Do you honestly believe they are not currently feeling the exact same way? They do, but have just rationalized with a different religious context.

The feeling of faith is very real. Emotions are very real. Your brain is very real. But I just really don't grasp how you think your feelings of faith are so special and unique to Christians. It isn't.

There are martyrs who die for the sake of many religions, Christianity and others alike, because that is the rationale they applied to the part of your brain and the feeling you are feeling.

But it is not unique. I was raised Christian and I really believed too - but when you branch out and get out of your fishbowl and meet people who literally feel the same thing but about their religious law instead of Christianity, it becomes irreconcilable with maintaining this illusion that your faith is somehow special or any different from theirs.

Anyway I realize that the likelihood of someone getting to your age and disavowing your religion because of this is slim to none, just as it would be for a Muslim or Hindu, but just something I wanted to point out. Thanks for reading.
>>
>>855555

Well, humans have three aspects. Mind, body, and spirit. I've always assumed the Christian god is the same. The Father is his mind, the Son is his body, and the Holy Spirit is his soul. Though since the Holy Spirit is meant to be the Word of god, it could be his mind, and the Father could be his primordial soul.
>>
File: joseph-smith.jpg (41 KB, 385x550) Image search: [Google]
joseph-smith.jpg
41 KB, 385x550
>>855143
They are unable to come up with a proper explanation because the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three distinct personages that form the Godhead.
>>
>>855591

The Jewish god, and by extension, the Christian and Islamic gods, was originally one of many. Yahweh was, IIRC, a divine hero from Mesopotamia who rode into Israel. He was originally a Hercules-like demigod who later became the head of the Hebrew pantheon as a proper god, and later became the supreme god of the Jews. It's interesting to note that Yahweh also had a consort. Yahweh was the male essence, and his consort was the female essence, and from them came life.

The Roman Empire was heading towards monotheism well before Constantine converted. If it wasn't Yahweh, it was Mithras, Sol, or Apollo. From the 200s onwards, the emperors began to portray themselves as Sol made flesh. Constantine originally portrayed himself as Apollo, and then Sol. Look up Sol and you'll see the coins the emperors minted portraying them wearing a solar crown.
>>
>>855584
>royal we
>in ancient hebrew
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.