[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was an Inquisition progressive for its time or it was institute
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Was an Inquisition progressive for its time or it was institute of repressions and unjustified witch hunting?
>>
>>852585
supposedly before the inquisition there was a lot of inconstant and haphazard local prosecution. Or mobs would just kill any "heretics"
>>
Not gonna defend the other things it did, but it was surprisingly little into witch hunting.
>>
>>852585
It was to weed out jew, muslims and renegades(christians that helped the muslims) During the Reconquista
>>
File: p1200711.jpg (173 KB, 784x619) Image search: [Google]
p1200711.jpg
173 KB, 784x619
>>852621
At the time of the writing of The Malleus Maleficarum, there were many voices within the Christian community (scholars and theologians) who doubted the existence of witches and largely regarded such belief as mere superstition.

The authors of the Malleus addressed those voices in no uncertain terms, stating:
“Whether the Belief that there are such Beings as Witches is so Essential a Part of the Catholic Faith that Obstinacy to maintain the Opposite Opinion manifestly savors of Heresy.”

Often the very accusation was enough to see one branded a witch, tried by the Inquisitors' Court, and burned alive at the stake.

Estimates of the death toll during the Inquisition europe wide range from 600,000 to as high as 9,000,000 (over its 250 year course); either is a chilling number when one realizes that nearly all of the accused were women, and consisted primarily of outcasts and autistic persons.
>>
>>852585
>sodomy
>progress
You can call me what you like, but im not gonna let some guy dressed in all red surprise me and proceed to stick things up my pooper in the name of Christ's everlasting love.
>>
You're all kinds of naive if you think witches aren't real.
>>
>>852665
Source?
This is what happened when the spanish inquistion put 7000 witches at trial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_witch_trials
>>
>>852665
The Inquisition actually discouraged the use of that manual by their "witch-hunters", and three years after it was first published, the work was officially condemned by the Catholic Church

Most theologians of Kramer's time condemned the book for recommending unethical and illegal procedures, and for being inconsistent with established Christian dogma on demonology, while the various Inquisitions had higher standards for evidence and ethics (the Inquisition established the modern Inquisitorial system used today) than the book proposed and witchcraft was never something they were especially interested in prosecuting, often maintaining a skepticism on whether witches even existed. In the Catholic Church, the prevalent view since like 900 AD was that witchcraft was not real, that practitioners who were in the Church were instead heretics deluded by the Devil into believing they had powers. Most punishments, pre-Malleus were light, either penances of a sort usually given in confession for most sins, a spell in the city stocks, or at worst excommunication.

Kramer had an obsession with impotency curses (including endorsing a medieval urban legend/joke at the time about witches stealing men's penises as real), along with demon rape (the latter to the point of getting tossed from every monastery he got sent to after driving the monks crazy by talking 24/7 about it).
>>
>>852665
Is the Malleus Maleficarum the most lethal shitposting of the middle ages?
>>
>>852665
>most of them were women

That brings a smile to my face, actually. No pity for cunt demons.

Has anyone seen the film The Witch? I think it portrays this sort of shit pretty accurately and you realize why so many witch trials were justified.
>>
>>852705
Really? Your basing whether a historical event was justified or not based on a movie?
>>
File: System (14).jpg (37 KB, 340x311) Image search: [Google]
System (14).jpg
37 KB, 340x311
>>852683
Basically what this anon said. Witches are very real.
>>
>>852710
Nah, I'm just saying the movie can help illustrate what was really going on back then for the historically illiterate person.
>>
>>852710

Then you clearly don't know how Catholic truthseeking works. The first rule is "feels = reals", the second one is "any source that verifies your views is valid".
>>
>>852723
So they are like Protestants?
>>
>>852730

Of course. Abrahamists gonna Abrahamise
>>
>>852665

The authors of the Malleus Maleficarum were also condemned within a few decades by the church.

Also your death toll is incredibly inflated. The actual death count worked out to about 2 per year in a 250 year period.
>>
>>852665
OY VEY REMEMBER THE 9 MILLION

Honestly though that number is so inflated it's about to burst. It was a few thousand at most.
>>
In Finland men were hunted as witches.

I remember a "friend" of mine saying that it was sexist, since it implied women were not capable enough to be witches.
>>
>>852756
And what does your "friend" say about places where the majority of the burned were women?
>>
>>852717
The devil was taking the form of a goat and witch ladies were floating around faster than the human eye? Why don't these things still happen?
>>
>>852835
Because we killed the fucking witches.
>>
>>852781

that it is sexist as well
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.