[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've noticed people often go on about how we today, in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: 1457369022972.jpg (85 KB, 840x623) Image search: [Google]
1457369022972.jpg
85 KB, 840x623
I've noticed people often go on about how we today, in the Western World, have it better than kings of old ever did. At least in my experience. How true is that though?

Pic probably unrelated
>>
Sorta. We dont get free glory, we shit in toilets and use refrigerators, we have slightly less liability.
>>
Yes, at least in the sense of material conditions and safety. Obviously, we don't have knights or peasants at our command or any sort of major political power.
>>
>>846041
Did you shit in a toilet and wipe with something today?
>>
>>846054
>any sort of major political power.
Too many people, kings of ole would shiat bricks if they saw populations of today.
Quality is worse in some respects, nowhere left to explore either. Just filling world with poo now.
>>
>>846041
Depends on your definition of "better lives". We certainly live longer, were more likely to marry for love, we have access to at least as many foods, and technology has obviouslyly advanced. But there's an argument to be made about power and status
>>
>>846041
Power>>>Commodity.
This is obvious to anyone without the soul of a plebeian/slave.
>>
>>846075
Nietzsche pls
>>
>>846041
You know I usually hate when people say this on /his/, but that is way too subjective.
>>
If you were a king before the Crusades you would have effectively no spiced foods, a few herbs at best.
>>
>>846083
>it's subjective so you can't say anything about it

Stop.
>>
File: 2414352345.jpg (2 MB, 2211x3500) Image search: [Google]
2414352345.jpg
2 MB, 2211x3500
>>846041
Materially, we are full, spiritually, we are empty.
Comfort has destroyed the shared struggle between men and woman and the results are manifest.
We have women who manipulate and can fuck around with no consequence and we have men who can masturbate and fuck around with the same result.

Its not "feminism" that destroyed whatever semblance of trust and loyalty there used to be, it was sheltering brought by an excess of resources and the law shaped by Semitic religions.

No longer did women need a "balanced" man who was strong enough to hold his own, intelligent enough to focus his energies efficiently, and courageous enough to uphold his ancestry. She now can choose solely on looks alone both physically and verbally.

Men no longer strive for balance but focus all of their energies in one area as to become a better cog for the economic machine.
>>
File: dean.jpg (39 KB, 508x462) Image search: [Google]
dean.jpg
39 KB, 508x462
>>846113
Are you one of those those autists who fantasize about being a godly person if you were alive in another time?
>>
>>846113
school shooter alert
>>
File: 243524352435.jpg (72 KB, 900x483) Image search: [Google]
243524352435.jpg
72 KB, 900x483
>>846119
I am no god, i am a man, nothing more, nothing less.
/edge
>>
>>846126
>tripfag
>on /his/

Stop the ride, I want off
>>
>>846113
Leave the West and find decent girls
>>
>>846041
>Pic probably unrelated
Back then you needed fight a dragon to get some girls, now it's all on genetics.
>>
i think it's true, in part because of penicillin.

cures most bacterial infections. in the old days, populations were decimated by plague. Pericles was killed by a plague that swept through Athens.
>>
>>846041
I would do anything if I could be reborn as a high middle ages knight.

>go crusade
>be chivalrous as fuk
>be entitled to qt maiden
>have a castle
>fight, maybe die, maybe achieve glory

Sure as hell beats this inertia that I currently inhabit anyways
>>
>>846113
This is also how I feel
>>
>>847471
>>go crusade
Sign up for one of those kurdish outfis and you can kill muslims all day every day
>>be chivalrous as fuk
>>be entitled to qt maiden
try to get a girlfriend
>>have a castle
get rich and buy one
>>fight, maybe die, maybe achieve glory
See first post.

Of course, you probably won't do any of the above.
>>
>>846113
>thinly veiled /r9k/ posting autist is a tripfag

Wow, really surprising.
>>
>>847478
You don't get it. I have no desire to do any of those things in a MODERN setting. It's not the same at all
>>
>>846041
I don't got servants. I don't got a private army. I don't got coffers to build me a castle.
>>
>>846041
yeah being king was a shitty job much better to be a superpowered feudal lord
>>
>>847421
This. Even if kings themselves though in divine right, they were still as mortal as the peasant. And medicine has improved more than anything.
>>
File: 1447663834908.png (182 KB, 866x635) Image search: [Google]
1447663834908.png
182 KB, 866x635
Can hardly name a time that I'd rather be a pleb, that's all I know for sure
>>
>>847489
It's the same shit anon.
Sorry, but take it from someone who's been in a few firefights that at the end of the day you still resort to the knife and cut throat method when you're down and out.

It's fucking shit.
Stay at home kids.
>>
>>847489
you probably wouldn't do it in any setting.
>>
File: J5063.png (5 KB, 361x260) Image search: [Google]
J5063.png
5 KB, 361x260
>>846113
Where I live you need to be 18 or over to handle edge like that.
>>
>>847507
There's got to be a sweet spot mid way up the ladder where you have an easy life, too much power but no real responsibility.
>>
>you got a cold
>your teeth get a hole
>heating during winter
>washing yourself
>shitting
>your qt maiden dies during childbirth
>your son dies in a hunting accident

etc
>>
>>846041
The difference between a peasant and a king back then was walking on what might as well have been barefoot and getting to ride in a hot, stuffy carriage. Now the difference (at least in the west) is how nice the car is they drive everywhere.
>>
There was more fresh air and fewer triple chins. Isn't it obvious, then?
>>
>>846041
they're wrong, unless of course the king has an infectious disease
>>
File: 1372722714439.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1372722714439.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>846113
>>846126
>struggle
>semitic laws
>strong, intelligent, courageous man
>uphold his ancestry
I was translating a chapter about fascism challenge to nationalism for my english deficient friend, your post made me chuckle.
>>
>>846070
>Just filling world with poo now.
i'm depressed
>>
>>846075
>live like a powerful warlord
>behead any who oppose you
>get a bad toothache
>doctor tries to cure it with literal cowpiss and leeches
>die a few days later smelling like cowpiss and in horrible pain

No thanks
>>
>>846126
>>846113

derailed
>>
>>846041

The average person in the west lives into their 70s but that number is skewed somewhat because of infant mortality, and early childhood diseases. If you make it to be a king your natural lifespan probably wouldn't be that bad. The key word there being natural.

I'd prefer to be a middle class or above modern person, mostly because being an average king isn't that great. Unless you're in command of a very powerful empire, you're most likely still someone's bitch.
>>
>>846041
I'd say its true.
I live on a modest income that allows me however not to work so I spend my day surfing the webs, cooking delicious meals, napping and going to my friend's house for beers.

If I was a medieval king I'd have people plotting to assassinate me to do the same thing, my cooks would insist on feeding me unhealthy food, my wine would have lead in it and the only books to read would be the bible and such. The only good point would be that I'd be able to design and build a minecraft castle for real!
>>
>>846113
>>>/RoK
>>
>>846070
>Explore

I see this all the fucking time on 4chan. You realize only a small number of people actually explored anything, right? Most people never left there small town, village, farm etc. Now the middle class can buy a plane ticket and fly across their country, or even the world and see things they could never see at home.

And you can do this with minimal risk.

Or even better, you could get your ass off 4chan and go out and explore your coty/neighborhood/whatever. Believe it or not, theres tons of shit out there you haven't seen.
>>
>>849667

This.

Last summer I flew all the way across to world to Vietnam to see some of the largest caves in the world. I'm just a poor student yet I can afford to do this. If I had been a little bit more careless about my own safety I could have even visited the recently discovered largest cave in the world, where only a few dozen people have EVER been. So literally doing shit like the explorers of legends. I made the choice not to risk my life for it though, but if you wanted to be like those explorers you could.
>>
>>846113
Just fuck a girl so you can let out that sexual frustration lol, it's not that hard anon
>>
>>846041
Kings of old thought they were appointed by God to rule over their kingdom. You're just some pleb on a Chinese fly-fishing website.
>>
>>846041
Advances in modern medicine.
I think that's really all I have to say on the matter.

Sure there's a moment of shittiness now or in the future because how we use antibiotics (Or basically just any treatment option that can potentially be resisted by disease carriers) is kind of fucking us due to evolution causing resistant bacteria to come out of the woodwork and bacteria are just this huge clusterfuck of horizontal gene transfer and shit so multiresistant bacteria are bound to happen.
>>
>>846041
Not true. The King had access to all of the labor in his realm. Technology really can't compete with that in all ways. They had almost all of the material comforts we have, bigger buildings, custom made clothes, gourmet meals, etc. Some things were unavailable to them, obviously, like air conditioning, cars, and electricity, but I think most people would still be better of materially as a king than as a minimum wage worker. As far as the poor go, yes, we are much better off than ever before. It's not even a contest.
>>
>>850180

>it's just built up sexual frustation, you dumb fucking virg xDDD

Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>846113
Well written. Don't listen to these peasants that are shit-talking.
>>
Materially, yes.
The consumption of good people have now is better than what the Kings had.

In terms of happiness, no.
That depends more on the individual and his philosophy of life than on circumstances. A hobo like Diogenes was happier than Alexander.
>>
>>851703
>The consumption of goods that people have now is better than what the Kings had.
Fixed
>>
>>846041

Obviously we have more nice things, but I'd still rather be a king (or even just a minor lord) 250 years ago than a pleb today.

Power > Things
>>
>>846113
>We have women who manipulate and can fuck around with no consequence
Implying there weren't powerful women in the past, who manipulated things ruthlessly.
>>
>>846070
>>848043
>too late to explore the world
>too early to explore the cosmos
Just in time to explore the ocean!

Also we are the most important generation of humans that will EVER exist because we are the ones that decide whether humanity colonizes space or stays on Earth and goes extinct. No previous generation had that power and no future generation will have the choice.
>>
>>846113
True to an extent.
>>
For the average person we're better off now than we ever have been. Everyone here would be harvesting vegetables with frostbitten fingers if it was the middle ages.
>>
>>846113
This is completely true. The amount of 'lol r9k xD' shitpost replies only serve as proof that this fucking shitty cucked board is overflowing with numales and cunts
>>
>>852434
If anything the one who cries about manipulating women is most cuckest of them all.
>>
>>846041
It's a pointless statement.

People in premodern world had radically different values and standards. We have no idea what they would think about our time because they're all dead. So it's like comparing bananas to tomatoes.
>>
>>846113
Amen tripfag brother
>>
>>847421
And soon we won't have antibiotics anymore. Healthy people will just drop dead in the middle of their lives. Going to the hospital will become a death sentence. All because of the meat industry and sloppy nurses. :^)
>>
>>853746
>he doesn't think we'll have true Universal Healthcare by then
>>
>>853927
>universal healthcare will eradicate antibiotic resistant bacteria
:^) :^)
>>
>>853952
:^) :^) :^)
you underestimate the pharmaceutical industry.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.