[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is lorica segmentata a meme armor? Hamata was always more popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: smegmentata.jpg (1001 KB, 1768x2770) Image search: [Google]
smegmentata.jpg
1001 KB, 1768x2770
Is lorica segmentata a meme armor? Hamata was always more popular and if it was considered armor for more "elite" troops, why do we rarely (if ever) see centurions wearing it?
>>
>>841501
it looks cool
>>
the fact that their are segments for something to get through, it takes longer to put on, is more expensive, heavier, and doesn't protect you bellow the belt
>>
>>841501
Because we don't live in ancient Rome.
>>
>>841501
It's easier to make for movies than fucking chainmail.

Though you could do what Monty Python did and just spraypaint a woolen robe
>>
>>841501
Look at it this way. See those bands that overlap? Much like short existing scale armor, unless there's an additional hauberk underneath that armor, anybody with a long dagger or gladius can simply shove their sword up one of those gaps if they get you on the ground and proceed to stab you to death. You know what you can't do with maille? That. Maille is much stronger than most people give it credit for, and unlike segmentate maille can be repaired ON THE FIELD. Unlike banded plate armor where if one plate breaks you need the whole plate replaced by a smith, maille armor can be repaired by links with just some metal wire and a crude forge to weld the links together.

So basically.

Hamata

>Can be repaired easily
>Can't be easily bypassed when knocked on the ground with a thrust
>easier to carry
>easier to protect against rust

Segmentate

>Bulky
>Bitch to store
>Can't be repaired easily in the field
>Can be defeated with simple upward thrusts once the wearer is forced to the ground
>>
>>841501

The only reason hamata became popular was because of movies and in real life it was cheaper to make and could be churned out fast.

The segmentata is superior.
>>
>>842211
kek
>>
File: 1446273110532.png (66 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1446273110532.png
66 KB, 1000x1000
When I bought my first lorica hamata I literally just threw it into my wardrobe and kept it there till I had an excuse to wear it again.

When I bought my first segmentata I did the same, and when I needed it again the plates were all misaligned and bent out of shape and I had to take it apart to try and fix it and I ended up missing the event because of it.

When I first wore my lorica hamata I just slipped it on over my head in two seconds flat.

When I first wore my segmentata I had to get a friend to help me adjust and fasten it which took 40 minutes.
>>
>>842403
Mail armor is based. It gets such a bad rap because people think arrows swords can go through it.
>>
>>841501
Pretty much yeah, it became briefly popular in the early Empire before they realised how much more efficient chainmail was.
>>
>why do we rarely (if ever) see centurions wearing it?
The hamata is rarely seen because segmentata is immediately, obviously Roman.

Whereas bunch of different peoples in several ages used maille.

If you want your fictional dude to be recognized as part of a Roman military, you give him an Imperial Gallic helmet, a lorica segmentata, red clothes, sandals, a gladius, and you remove his pants.
>>
>>842653
Pretty much this. Just like every egyptian army must have chariots.
>>
>>842653
>The hamata is rarely seen

Pretty sure OP means why is lorica segmentata rarely seen on Centurions. Every depiction I've seen of them shows them in lorica hamata.
>>
>>842253
>Can't be repaired easily in the field
yes it can, you just need a spare band to replace the broken bit
It's easier to tie a new segment on than set up a mini-forge in the field
>>
>>841501
I recall posting more or less that exact same thing in a thread about roman vs. medieval armor just yesterday.
>>
>>842253
>Much like short existing scale armor, unless there's an additional hauberk underneath that armor, anybody with a long dagger or gladius can simply shove their sword up one of those gaps if they get you on the ground and proceed to stab you to death.
Or they could stab you in your fucking face.
>>
>>843442
You can do that with any armor bro that lacks a closed helmet. The difference with Segmentata is that you can get shanked by a spear in an armor spot, which would have been impossible had the armor been a single plate.

>>842810
Well yes, but then you need somebody to specifically carry a bunch of spare plates around with different sizes. Meanwhile with Hamata you can just give iron or steel wire to soldiers.
>>
>>842253

Couldn't finish reading this post, like seriously do you have to put your words in such a faggy way?
>>
Segmentata was used widely (as seen in reliefs like Trajan's Column), but only for a short period of time. The sheer amount of items needed to keep such a cuirass functioning made it an absolute bitch to deal with. That's why it was only used during the absolute peak of the Roman Empire and fell out of use after only a century or so.
>>
How do they make chainmail so cheaply? All those tiny links, I would think it would e more expensive.
>>
>>844919
>How do they make chainmail so cheaply?

In the Roman Empire? Slave labor at home and soldier labor in the field. The Roman Empire had a stupid amount of manpower for tedious and uncomplex tasks like linking thousands of metallic rings together.
>>
>>842253
>Celts halfswording to get in the gaps of your armor
Yeah that didn't happen, they werent nearly armored enough for that to be a valid tactic. You'd probably have to worry more about having your face clawed of by some naked germanic warrior.
>>
>>842253
Mail is very vulnerable to a thrust, standing or prone.
>>
>>844919
Slaves. Labor is the killer with mail.

>>846612
No it isn't.
>>
>>842197
Segmentata was cheaper, that was one of the major reasons it was adopted
>>
>>846612
>Look ma, I posted it again!
>>
>Hamata was always more popular

But can I eat soup while wearing it?
>>
File: image.png (129 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.png
129 KB, 625x626
>>841501
>it was considered armor for more "elite" troops

Well there ya go. Plebs can't afford that shit
>>
>>842197
It didnt take long at all to put on
>>
I thought officers wore that form fitting breastplate with nipple on it.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.