[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most interesting mythology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: myth-9.jpg (395 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
myth-9.jpg
395 KB, 1200x1600
What mythology systems do you find most interesting? Extra points if its your favorite non norse/greco-roman myth system.
>>
>>838734
Sort of loved the taoist monkey king legends.
>>
>>838734
I always liked slavic mythology but i can not find too much about it and the stuff that i find is mixed with germanic paganism and there are nationalists saying shit like THEY BE TAKIN OUR MYTHOLOGY WE WUZ GERMANIC AN SHIEEER
>>
>>839445
There aren't that many sources but recurring characters was kind of good I agree.
>>
File: bride.jpg (23 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
bride.jpg
23 KB, 236x262
Gaelic.

It's not paganism if we call them saints and claim to be good Milesians who didn't sublimate nuffin.
>>
>>839445
Slavic and Norse mythology is actually distantly related (even down to a trio of goddesses representing fate). But the Slavic gods are pretty much gloomier, less funny, less vigorous cousins of their Germanic equivalents.
>>
religions phylosophies mythologies are all the same stories told differently you little brain
>>
>>839603
>brip bulibup brup brup brup
>>
Hinduism is unusual to me in terms of what I'm used to regarding faith
Clearly there is polytheism with the many deities that are worshiped but at the same time theres the overlying concept of Brahman as well which makes it seem monotheistic, so I'm really not sure what to make of it all
>>
Gaelic

Tuatha de Dannan are bro-tier
>>
>>839671
That's because it's more like a grouping of different beliefs, and not like an actual organized religion like the western ones, I think
>>
>>839671
Something well ahead of its time.

I honestly don't see Christianity surviving this century. Maybe only in Africa. It is incapable of ameliorating discrepancies with science and combat the growing tide of Atheism. And it is not cult-like enough like Islam to force dedication through fear and violence.
>>
>>839671
It's monotheism without the autism.

The concepts of idolatry or "shirk" are some of the most disgusting aspects of Abrahamic religions.
>>
>>839852
Iconoclasm was necessary in order to bridge Abrahamic religions into an 'Us' vs 'Them' type of cult.

Without it, the religion would have no 'fire' no reason to 'exist' in many ways. Destroying artifacts and traditions of other religions was the only way for it to spread. Because without it, there would be no source of tension and faux persecution-complex directed towards the 'evil heretics'.

Muhammad was a genius in that he took this formula created by Christianity and simply took it one step further going all the way and forming a death cult.
>>
>>839671
strictly speaking there is no polytheism in hinduism because it is always stressed that the various gods and goddesses stem from a single source

but you can be a devout Hindu and mainly worship say, Shiva

it is a fascinating religion
>>
>>839671
The basic qualities of hinduism that apply almost universally are these:

1. Thoughts mean nothing, only actions (dharma). This is representative in how ethnocentric hindus are as well as their daily breakdown of society in populous cities.

2. The gods and goddesses of hinduism exist not in front of your eyes, but behind them.

Everything else is a meme/fanfiction.
>>
>>840101
Dharma is central to Hinduism.

But you confuse it with simple actions. It also includes inaction as well.

In the Mahabharata, Karna's actions are only good in nature. But he stood by idly and watched while the Karuvas committed atrocities. This is why Krishna tells Arjuna that action is indistinguishable from inaction and therefore he must defeat Karna.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.