[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was WWI the end , or dying gasp of Western Civilisation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: homefront_2726999b.jpg (98 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
homefront_2726999b.jpg
98 KB, 620x388
Was WWI the end , or dying gasp of Western Civilisation?
>>
>>834535
Nah, you like you're still doing ok.

T. Non-Westerner.
>>
>>834535
I know the earth resembles a ball, but isn't it possible that it might have been a cube some day?
>>
>>834535
Define "Western Civilization".
>>
>>834576
Europe and North America (excluding Mexico) from 1400s to 1918
>>
>>834581
Those are very arbitrary parameters.
>>
>>834535
It was a massive spiritual blow
>>
What would the 20th century have been like if WW1 never happened? How much longer could the empires and colonies be sustained? Would have communism and fascism been a thing?
>>
>>834624
that question is pointless since there were a million factors leading to ww1 and changing them would massively change the world in ways we cannot know
>>
>>834576
The cultural and genetic heritage of western Europeans starting with the Greeks, through the Romans, all the way up to modern Europeans, Canadians, and the United States. I am willing to post more if you'd like to amuse yourself with my sophistry
>>
>>834570
Well planets are believed to form from rock clumping together so Earth may have been highly irregular at one point but a cube would require perfect 90 degree angles on all sides so probably not.
>>
>>834728
What portion of /his/ threads could be resolved with this exact post?
>>
>>834535

Neither. World War I and World War II was just another link in a long chain of European wars. Europeans periodically think it's great fun to blow themselves up, happens every 80 years or so. I expect by 2040, Europeans will be back to eating horsemeat in a trench somewhere while air raids butcher infants in their cribs.
>>
>>834535
Fucking hate Developed worlders acting up like melodramatic entitled pieces of shit.

Much worse shit has happened in the past but modern dweebs like to herald shit as the end of the world because it gives themselves some sort of meaning or excite in their "uneventful" society that poorer folk would kill to simply be part of desu.
>>
>>834833
W-what?
Dude he's just asking if WWI ended Western Civilization
>>
>>834535
I think it definitely was a huge symbolic end of an era.
Going into the 20th century, Europe was still rural except for major industrial centers like London, Paris, etc.
Europe was still ruled by kings and queens, save for France. The major powers had large overseas empires and ruled the world. Nothing could stop them.
After the war, the horrible thing that devastated so many, God rest their souls, the Lost Generation came out.
People who were born into a farming or rural family were now thrust into a dehumanizing situation at a young age. All they wanted to do was experience the world, and they got the worst conflict in history at that point.
So what could they do? Life had changed ridiculously so in those 4 years while they were away. These battered men were now introduced to an age of extreme overindulgence and excess. Parties and wild behaviour became the norm as most know. The toppling of kings and reduction of crown authority ended imperialism and the thought of serving one's country to death, for king and country.

I do not think Western Civilization ended after WWI. I do think that it was the last great hurrah, the massive heaving and coughing of it's greatest era dying. Western Civilization ended after WWII, with the rise of globalization and the disintegration of traditional and classical values.

WWI was certainly the last and greatest show that classical Western Civilization put on however.
>>
>>836195
It didn't because you are still here.
IT's a question that didn't need asking because the answer is all around him and he's living !
>>
>>834535
It was the end of Europe, and the beginning of America truly becoming a global superpower.
>>
>>834535

It was all down hill from there

The Edwardian era was the comfy sunset
>>
>>834535
the fact that the USA was still as powerful as it was after WW2 was the end of western civilization. The USA is simply too powerful to have any consequences for its actions and it ruined everything.

superpowers ruin everything. if every country was similarly powerful, the world would be a much better place.
>>
>>834764
>of western Europeans
>starting with the Greeks

uwot
>>
>>837210
>greeks aren't european
Nice meme!
>>
>>837648
A couple of hundred years of ottoroach rape will do that
>>
>>837648
They are, but
>western
is where you're wrong.
>>
>>837207
>posted from an American website
>>
>>834813
This is what I have learned, no different than the 1000 years of feudal wars previous to it, except now new worlders invited to the party and modern warfare, propaganda, new age priests pushing ideologies instead of Popish allegiances. New worlders, same as the old worlders anyway.
>>
>>836258
This desu. It was the sweaty death throes of traditional monarchism and imperialism and the transition point to a global economy and culture. The world officially began to turn from the old way of doing things and opened up to ideas of communism, capitalism, democracy, and many other ideas.
>>
>>834535
Defiantly the end of an age of history, I can't imagine any nations at war having something like the Christmas Truce post 1914. Whatever world existed before the deceleration was gone forever by the end of it.
>>
File: walledworld.jpg (120 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
walledworld.jpg
120 KB, 1280x960
NO.

Before WWI, you could reasonably say that there was still a transition period from Christendom to the West. After WWI, it was definitely the West. Before Napoleon, it definitely Christendom. Through the C19th, there was the transition between the two.

The West is the super-state that currently exists, centered on Western Europe and North America.

Thomas PM Barnett's 'Pentagons New Map' is better than image related, but I can't find it instantly.
>>
>>834535
>Was WWI the end , or dying gasp of Western Civilisation?
Literally what did he mean by this? Western supremacy defined this century and probably the entirety of the first half of this century too.

>In before muh degeneracy muh feminism muh traditional victorian values are dead the west is dead t. /pol/
>>
>>834535
WWI is the beginning of the end of the western civilisation, WWII is the last stand of the western civilisation, Fascism can be seen as the last extreme reactionary effort to return to traditionalism. after that, the west turned into global civilisation
>>
>>838470
all of those things are not the end of the western world but they will bring it
>>
>>838444
>S Korea and Japan
>Western
Literally "WE WUZ" tier
>>
>>834535
It ended an era of (mostly Western) European dominance over the entire planet.

Now the balance will be restored, with China and co rising to the top.

RIP Europe (1492-1914)
>>
>>839274
Also
>Israel
lol

t israeli
>>
Yes, Europe committed suicide
>>
>>837990
Fine, faggot.

Greece is not physiogeographically located in western Europe. That's not the point. Who cares?
>>
>>838444
>future Schengen border

Is this map from fucking 2005 or something?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.