[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of Nick Land, University of Warwick�
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: nick-land-portrait.jpg (12 KB, 171x266) Image search: [Google]
nick-land-portrait.jpg
12 KB, 171x266
What does /his/ think of Nick Land, University of Warwick's Cybernetic Culture Research Unit, Urbanomics and accelerationism? Is Land the most interesting recent contributor to Continental Philosophy writing in English? Considering a lot of his work is positioned as "theory-fiction", can you even call him a philosopher?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Land
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerationism
>>
>>832564
He's a meme, for sure.
>>
>>832574
Do you mean "meme" in the sense that that word usually has on 4chan, i.e., "popular on the Internet"? Because that doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>>832564

His reading of Kant is pretty interesting.

I'd say he's more of a journalist than a philosopher as such though.

I've gotten replies to emails to him asking for book recommendations etc, and he's always been gracious and polite.
>>
>>832701
Very interesting. What books did he recommend to you and on what subject?
>>
I think accelerationism, as an ideological alternative to Marxism, is pretty cool. I don't think Nick Land is very interesting.
>>
>>832712

Henry Hazlitt's 'Economics in One Lesson' along with Norbert Wiener and some Russian cyberneticists. He also told me to read Deleuze and Guattari, although I still haven't really gotten around to that two years later. That said, I've picked up tonnes of stuff from his blog as well.
>>
>>832584

He's had memey tendencies in the past:

http://divus.cc/london/en/article/nick-land-ein-experiment-im-inhumanismus
>>
>>832738
Ah, thanks. Frankly, I found Land, even at the height of his "madness" in Fanged Noumena, to be more lucid than Deleuze and Guattari. Do you by any chance remember who those "Russian cyberneticists" were? I'm curious because I am familiar with Glushkov but only through the kind of publications that would interest STEM students/researchers. I didn't know Land endorsed "Economics in One Lesson". It helps makes sense of the post-libertarian/an-cap connections in his blog posts.
>>
I like his shit but I don't take him too seriously. He's like people who just talk about being a cyberpunk instead of actually spending the time learning to use computers
>>
>>833689
Compare and contrast: William Gibson.
>>
>tfw Trump and the rednecks will bring the techno acceleration

Get on it, americans.
>>
>>834311
>tfw Trump and the rednecks will bring the techno acceleration
>Protectionism

I don't think so.
>>
>>834681
>>834311
Land's candidate of choice in these elections is Hillary, just to push faster towards the collapse.
>>
>continental philosophy
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.