[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your opnion what was the BEST,THE WORST and THE MORE WISER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
In your opnion what was the BEST,THE WORST and THE MORE WISER ROME EMPERORS
>>
The worst is Flavius Honorius
>>
I hate Caracala
>>
Constantine I the Renegade worse
>>
>Best
Augustus tied with Diocletian
>Worst
Caracalla

>Based
Aurelian, Claudius Gothicus, Hadrian
>>
>>829064
Hadrian was a crybaby bitchboy
>>
Best: Augustus
Worst: Commodus
Wisest: Marcus Aurelius

Honorable mentions:
Best: Vespasian, Trajan, Diocletian, Hadrian, Aurelian, Majorian
Worst: Elagabalus, Caligula, Caracalla
Wisest: Claudius, Augustus
>>
>best
Hadrian
>worst
Vitellius
>more wiser
Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>829085
>Wisest: Marcus Aurelius
He let Commodus succeed him and eventually ruin the Roman Empire. He also let his wife cuck him, cover up her flagrant corruption, then had her worshiped as a goddess when she died. His Meditations are a poor man's zen manual. How the fuck is he considered wise?
>>
The best:
Trajan
Hadrian
Diocletian
Augustus
Basil II
Constantine
Heraclius
Domitian
Alexios Komnenos
Majorian
Theodosius

The worst:
Honorius
Phocas
Caracalla
Commodus
Caligula
Elagabalus
John VIII
Isaac Angelus

The most interesting to read about:
Justinian I
Justinian II
Claudius
Constantius II
Julian
Constantine XI
Valerian
Maximinus Thrax
Aurelian
Michael IV
Marcus Aurelius
John Tzimisces
Zeno
Constantine VII
Nicephoros Phocas

Just my opinions t.b.h.
>>
>>829175
>Julian
>Constantius II

I want some form of dramarization of Julian the Apostate. His upbriging, his rise to fame, his split with Constantius and being made emperor, his war in the east, and his downfall.

It could be so fucking good
>>
>>829203
Read Gore Vidal's 'Julian'

It's literally exactly what you're looking for, and it's really good.
>>
>>829243
Will check it out. Thanks anon.
>>
>EMPERORS
Fuck you. Empire a shit.
>>
>>829001
why is nobody listing nero?
that guy burned down his own fucking city
>>
File: William_Howard_Taft_1909.jpg (33 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
William_Howard_Taft_1909.jpg
33 KB, 450x600
>>829175
Great picks
>>
>>829264
That's a myth, he was even personally involved in the firefighting efforts. His dick move involved taking advantage of the tragedy to build a huge palace atop the ruins, instead of allowing people to rebuild their homes. Also that whole burning Christians thing.
>>
>>829134

I was going to say i never considered Marcus Aurelius particularly wise. He practiced mindfulness but that's like whatevs dogg
>>
Best: Hadrian
Worst: Phocas
Wisest: Augustus or Antoninus Pius

>>829134

He didn't have much of a choice over Commodus. His predecessors mostly selected able men instead of their sons as their successors because they were gay. Histories about his wife were written by political opponents of hers.

Also, the Meditations are not supposed to be a manual. They were the exercises of a student of philosophy. Marcus Aurelius would probably say to someone learning philosophy to "read Epictetus' Discourses and please stop reading my exercises".
>>
>>829134
>His Meditations are a poor man's zen manual.
>>829134
the category is wisest Roman Emperors
it's like smartest boxer
just writing a book at all puts him ahead of the curve
>>
>>829001
Best Emperors objectively:

- Augustus
- Tiberius
- Hadrian
- Trajan
- Aurelius
- Domitian
>>
>>829134
If he didn't let Commodus succeed him, he'd have had a civil war. It was either kill his son or let him become emperor.

How dare he not murder his own child!?

His meditations weren't a manual so much as his own thoughts and experiences with philosophy. They weren't instructions.
>>
best: augustus
worst: augustus
wisest: augustus
>>
>>829134
>His Meditations are a poor man's zen manual.

It wasn't even a fucking manual you sperg. It was his fucking journal. The Greek title is literally "The things to himself".
>>
>>829055

You gotta admit he causes massive butthurt even to day though
>>
>>829478
Augustus wrote a book, and a better one than Meditations at that

Latin master language
>>
>>829023
>When you read about the sack of Rome and find out that Alaric freed all the slaves in Rome.

The Romans were dicks.
>>
>>829259
t.senator
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.