[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What single thing do you most admire about another country that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: Flag-Germany.png (7 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Flag-Germany.png
7 KB, 500x350
What single thing do you most admire about another country that doesn't often get said?

I admire most about Germany their impeccable military history throughout all of time ever since there were German states. From the time of Frederick the Great to the achievements of the nation during WW2 (in which the gigantic leviathan nations of the Soviet Union AND the United States AS WELL AS effectively every other nation in Europe had to pile on top of them to defeat them), their military record is, without a doubt, the absolute greatest in human history.

I never see Germany mentioned in discussions of military records however, which is odd.
>>
>>824338
Germany is overrated
>>
File: Flag_of_Iran.svg.png (8 KB, 630x360) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
8 KB, 630x360
Iran produces great fruits and nuts; pistachios, apricots, walnuts, etc.
>>
>>824357
Actually Germany is severely underrated seeing how mainstream education downplays their progress and shames them for it.
>>
>>824338
french people are pretty nice.
>>
>Germany
>impeccable military history

Really faggot? Of all the things Germany did great from music to science you actually pick something that is an outright meme? Retard
>>
>>824360
And best of all, the origin of pears (pear, per, it's actually in the name)!
>>
>>824338
Germany's military history is basically
>Chat shit
>Get banged
>>
>>824338
odd? Their sorta considered evil during WW2 so talking about their military is a sure fire way to cause shit.

that said, germany is cool.

I appreciated Bangladesh because they made my favorite jacket.
>>
>>824338
I respect the French militarily they've had a long history of exemplary action that seems to be ignored by the actions of WW2 which was due to the ineptitude of the commanders not the soldiers themselves.
>>
>>824374
They don't just 'chat shit' though, that's what I'm saying. They bite just as hard as they bark, if not harder
>>
>impeccable military history
>forgetting Napoleon's incredible BTFOing of Prussia
>>
>lose both world wars
>GREAT MILITARY RECORD!!!
>>
>>824454
Did you even read my post or did you just want to shitpost
>>
>>824454
oh come on, war in itself isn't about winning or losing, its about stats, time spent planning vs excuting, the opposition vs alliances had, tactics and strategy vs situation.

winning and losing is not what matters in war.
>>
>>824468
This is what Wehraboos actually believe.
>>
>>824486
Not him but he is right and you are wrong. War is not black and white. It's not whether you win or lose but how you fight - a nation can fight with fantastic leadership and excellent strategy but then still get annihilated by an atomic bomb
>>
>>824468
>winning and losing is not what matters in a war

.....are you serious right now?
>>
>>824486
everyone lose's men, resources, wins this and that and yeah, germany lost the war but they killed so many people and so many jews. They had so many people to kill they set up camps for it. They took out hundreds of thousands of books and fought a lot of countries.

they did some damn "good" work and not every country could have done what they did.
>>
>>824503
>What is Punic Wars
>>
>>824338
>War of the Fourth Coalition
ok
>>
File: Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg (811 KB, 1286x1254) Image search: [Google]
Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg
811 KB, 1286x1254
>>824468
>war in itself isn't about winning or losing, its about stats
>>
>>824556
>we sure gave them a wolloping
>yeah we did!
>but guys didn't we lose the war?
>I mean yeah we did but we sure did kill a bunch of dudes and we took a lot of territory!
>but we still lost...
>...yeah...I guess you're right..
>>
I admire the diversity of Chinese cuisine. Most people just know the sweet sour shit they serve as 'Chinese food' in the West and never get to experience proper Chinese food with its multitude of different culinary regions and local flavours.
>>
>>824603
>>824604
do you guys seriously think winning alone matters in war? destruction level, amount of people killed, resources gained, territory captured, alliances made, come on guys.
>>
>>824621
And Germany got their cities bombed to dust, their women raped by mongoloid Russians, their country partitioned, enslaved and occupied by foreign armies for the next 50 years. Only a fucking moron would consider that a good outcome.
>>
>>824338
Germany has never won a war
>>
>>824621
Victory isn't just a treaty signed. If those factors give the 'defeated' their goal, the defeated never lost the war in the first place. It still boils down to winning or losing.
>>
>>824338
don't forget the japanese, italians, hungarians, bulgarians, and romanians and every other country they received volunteers from
>but they don't count!!
>germany was clearly the only ones doing the work while the other worthless countries watched!!
>they were in command so they get all the credit!!
german military history is awful. most major conflicts end in a loss. I don't know where this meme started.
>>
>>824640
I never quite understood this "Germany alone against the entire world" meme. It's not even remotely close to being the truth.
>>
File: 1200.jpg (109 KB, 728x593) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
109 KB, 728x593
>>824338
>I admire most about Germany their impeccable military history throughout all of time ever since there were German states.

It's a joke, right?
Germany's recent military history is very impressive indeed, but if you go back to before the late 19th century, it's cuckoldery general

I will spare you every details, but cucking and humiliation at the hands of Napoleon, Austria, Spain and various French kings come to minds

Ever wondered how the Franco-German border passed from pic related in 1200 to what it was in 1870?
Short answer: because Germans were shit at war until very recently
>>
>>824640
you can't just call a popular, widespread belief a meme you know.
>>
>>824629
>>824640
DURING the world wars (*during* the world wars), Germany was on fucking top of their game. First time they were screwed over by bad allies and second time they had EVERY OTHER COUNTRY piling shit after shit on top of them.

Germany fought a long and tough fuckin battle against the Soviets and they fought a long and tough battle against the Americans and company as well. They fought off everybody and did not fold immediately as other nations may have done in the same situation. Germany's military record is top of the leaderboard because they pushed for so fuckin long even if they did eventually lose.
>>
Germans got so royally BTFO in the 30 years war it pretty much created German nationalism and unification wet dreams, to prevent getting raped so hard again.

In the 1960s there was a poll conducted in Germany asking which war was the most disastrous for Germans, most people said it was the 30 years war, despite the fact they were just a few decades removed from WW2.
>>
>>824667
>First time they were screwed over by bad allies
bad allies made the germans fail in their initial attack on france?

>They fought off everybody
>fight off
>to stop someone who is trying to attack you
>to avoid being harmed or overcome by (someone or something) by fighting or struggling
no anon, germany did not "fight off" anyone
>>
>>824667
>irst time they were screwed over by bad allies and second time they had EVERY OTHER COUNTRY piling shit after shit on top of them.

You repeating this meme like a faggot won't make it true. Turkey and Spain remained neutral, Vichy France, Italy, Finland, Slovakia, Hungary, Japan, Romania, Croatia and millions of volunteers from all around the world were on Germany's side.

This ALL ALONE meme needs to fucking die.
>>
>>824693
its not a meme though. its a widespread, popular belief.
>>
I used to think the "Murica saved the world in WW2" was a meme, until I learned about Lend-Lease. Honestly the Germans would have either won, or lost a lot less if it hadn't had been for Jeremiah Burgerson.

>>824655
Your example is shit and you should feel like shit. France's expansion occurred because it was a huge, wealthy, fertile nation (today the LARGEST in Europe excluding Russia) that experienced rapid centralization four times (Philip II Augustus vs. the Angevins, the Hundred Years War, the Wars of Religion, the Revolution), which ate away at bits of the HRE while the HRE was busy fucking itself or fighting the Italians.

Also
>Roman Empire
>>
>>824704
You're acting like a meme and a popular opinion are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>824667
of course they were on top of their game when they started the war and had more to lose. and when the german decided they were going to emulate the french with a final invasion of russia they did lose hard.
>>
>>824723
not per se but A meme is a popular opinion thats been sent into satire. ree frog, so and so did nothing wrong, etc. its something everyone is making a joke about and the minority is taking seriously.
>>
>>824754
a meme is just anything commonly repeated. It doesn't matter if it is a joke.
>>
Japan is essentially ten years in the future
>>
>>824974
this. i was watching urusei yatsura and i was surprised by how recent it felt.
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 648x595) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 648x595
HAD great respect for you Germany
>>
File: AAG110318_FIESTA_PRIMAVERA1045.jpg (131 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
AAG110318_FIESTA_PRIMAVERA1045.jpg
131 KB, 800x533
>>824338
>Botellón is typically a nighttime Spanish activity when people congregate in public areas to socialize while drinking alcohol (street drinking). The activity is popular among teenagers and young adults partly in response to rising drink prices at bars or clubs, and partly because more people can meet in one place. Botellón is not an alternative to typical nightlife, but is rather an economical way to drink with people before going out to bars, discos, or clubs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botell%C3%B3n
Never see a fight, just people drinking together, really nice. Spanish are great to party.
>>
>>825039

Too bad their government is basically dissolving.
>>
>>824974

10 years in the future, but unfortunately still 30 years in a slump. We're looking at another lost generation.
>>
>>824387
Germany lost every major war it was involved in
>>
>>825566
Yes and it always took the rest of the world to defeat them.
Other countries lose wars against Emus.
>>
>>824468
> War in itself isn't about winning or losing
It's like I'm really watching an American discuss the Vietnam war.
>>
>their military record is, without a doubt, the absolute greatest in human history
>literally never won a war

Pretty obvious bait thread.
>>
the food of the eastern Mediterranean

my favourite food hands down
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.