[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside where I can read more about their raid and battle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: viking raid.jpg (95 KB, 700x563) Image search: [Google]
viking raid.jpg
95 KB, 700x563
Memes aside where I can read more about their raid and battle tactics? Also were French, Irish and Saxon commoners allowed to own weapons or did they only have pitchforks to defend themselves with?
>>
>>823595

Well Carolingians banned commoners from forming Guilds to opose raiders, so its very likely that they were armed.
>>
>>823643
why would they ban it? Were they afraid that the guilds would also oppose them?
>>
I find Byzantine battle tactics fascinating.
>>
>>823710

Most likely.
>>
>>823595
Everyone was allowed weapons, but not everyone could afford good ones
>>
>>823730
LIKE IN USA LOL
>>
>>823595
>>823730
So did the commander provide peasant levies with weapons or would they just bring whatever they own?
>>
>>825488
depends on the local lord and how wealthy he is
>>
>>825488
Something like the Anglo-Saxon Fyrd was typically only wealthy landowners being required to respond to a levy.
>>
>>823713
tell more
>>
>>823595
>Also were French, Irish and Saxon commoners allowed to own weapons or did they only have pitchforks to defend themselves with?
I think that even if they weren't there were no measures to enforce that kind of law back then.

The problem however was that raiders attacked without any kind of warning, so before the "village militia" could get back from fields, equip their weapons, armours and form up, everything was burning already.
>>
>>825488
Depends on period. Typically the requirement was that a vassal has to bring soldiers according to amount of land he owned.
Poorer ones only had to provide infantry while richer had to bring their own cavalry. I think it's safe to say that they've at least provided some weapons since that was something they've needed surplus of anyway(you know, that shit breaks).
>>
File: Saxons.jpg (3 MB, 2222x3026) Image search: [Google]
Saxons.jpg
3 MB, 2222x3026
>>823595
>Saxon commoners
Don't know about the others but in Anglo-Saxon territory, Wessex, Sussex, Mercia, etc. all men were required to own weapons, swords shields bows spears and such, they were the Fyrd and in times of war a Thegn, Aetheling, Ealdorman could levy a small army in a matter of hours. Not a collection of peasants but rather hardened countrymen trained to fight.
Every year each man was required to give two months of service, so if they were not at war it would be filled with training, building, making weapons, etc.
The entire population could be mobilized within days in order to fight an invading army.
Not only with Fyrdsmen but also thegns and ceorls which provided the more professional warrior backbone.
>>
>>823595
Also the french banned the longbow later on in history because it had the capacity to render professional knights and men-at-arms useless.
imagine 300 peasants with longbows against 30 knights.
>>
File: alright buddy.gif (901 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
alright buddy.gif
901 KB, 298x298
>>828087
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.