[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nationalism is a good thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Mussolini_mezzobusto.jpg (17 KB, 250x369) Image search: [Google]
Mussolini_mezzobusto.jpg
17 KB, 250x369
Prove me wrong.

Protip: you can't.
>>
The fact you've posted a picture of a fascist to symbolise nationalism shows you really don't know what it's about.

Nationalism started as a liberal ideology, read a book.
>>
Nothing at all wronh with wanting to preserve your nations culture. The racial aspect of nationalism is stupid though, even Mussolini thought so.
>>
Define "good".
>>
All sorts of pan nationalism needs to die.

>>823178
The times change and so do values.
>>
Nationalism is meme tier
>>
>>823174
I don't disagree with you, but the burden of proof lies with you.
>>
Nationalism is good. To an extent.
Nationalism promotes national unity and taking pride in yourself and where you came from, or why you came to the country in the case of immigrants.
But at the same time you can take nationalism, like almost any idea, too far and end up like a wehraboo or a sovietboo and refuse to believe your country is anything but entirely perfect. A part of nationalism should be striving to make your country perfect well after accepting that it's not.
If anything, a true nationalist should hold his country to a higher standard than any other country and both criticize and attempt to change the bad of it.

Most nationalist just want to argue on the internet that their country is better than/less bad than your country of course.
>>
>>823174
Not proving you wrong since I agree.
>>
File: fascist dillbert.gif (76 KB, 598x283) Image search: [Google]
fascist dillbert.gif
76 KB, 598x283
>>823174
It's true though
>>
>implying this can be proven wrong
>>
How do they define nationality?

That's usually where the problem is, they have some ridiculously obscure or absurd way to define nationality, so they can exclude anyone they want to.
>>
Petty nationalism destroyed states like Austrian Empire for nothing. It serve to divide citizens and put them against each other.
>>
>>823798
Good post
>>
>>823178
This. The fact some of the modern imbeciles characterize nationalism as something "traditional" just because liberals abandoned it over the years is mind boggling.
>>
>>824669
Outside of the Serbs, ethnic separatism was never really that popular in Austria-Hungary. It's just that after the war the Entente propped up separatist figures as the sole representatives of their nations while ignoring the pro-monarchy ones.

There's a very good chance the empire would never dissolve if they didn't lose the war.
>>
>>823174
I see nationalism as a tool to create a bond amongst a population. Too much nationalism leads to extremism, but in certain cases nationalism can save a nation.
>>
>>823174
>Civic Nationalism is a good thing.

Fixed that for you.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.