[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he still useful to read today ? Is he right or not ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: ourfriendhegel.jpg (76 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ourfriendhegel.jpg
76 KB, 1000x1000
Is he still useful to read today ?
Is he right or not ?
>>
Who is he?
>>
File: 1437255701745.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1437255701745.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>Philosophy
>Useful
>>
>>822993
heidigger
>>
>>822993
Hegel
>>
>>822994
I mean, can i read him in order to understand the world ? Or he's like aritotelician physic ?
>>
Not only is he not useful but reading his convoluted prose, and understanding it, would take you a shitload of time.
>>
File: James.jpg (517 KB, 1053x1737) Image search: [Google]
James.jpg
517 KB, 1053x1737
>>822994
>he's not a pragmatist
>>
He's shit
>>
>>822991
He is everything about today.
>>
>>823032
What do you mean ? can you go further ?
>>
>>822991
Useful? Yes
Right? Probably not.

Mostly his Phenomenology is interesting, but mostly wrong. The same goes for Elements of Philosophy of Right, but both are must read if you want to understand philosophy.
>>
File: 0nlAGKx.gif (1000 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
0nlAGKx.gif
1000 KB, 400x225
>>823015
>He subscribes to any philosophy
>>
>>823054
About what is he wrong ?
>>
>>823111
Mostly about absolute spirit. But there's a chance I misunderstood his point about it.
>>
>>823120
By spirit, you mean the consciousness of the mind or just what he calls the "Geist" ( which is metaphysics, so not really right or wrong ) ?
>>
>>823132
Yes. And AFAIK he thought we achieved it, but I think it can't achievable.
>>
>>822991
>Is he still useful today?
Yes, but maybe read a summary of his works, his writing is notoriously shitty. His perspective on the indivisible oneness of the universe ("Totality") is interesting as fuck. Thesis/antithesis/synthesis is a useful tool to get acquainted with; after you learn about it you analyze things differently/ try to see the "journey" an event took, and how it came to be.
>Is he right?
Yes. Modern "Philosophy" gives Hegel a lot of flack because his philosophy indirectly advocates Fascism/ Totalitarianism. The Analytics in general have set philosophy back 100 years- for some reason a bunch of autists decided not to study stem, and put philosophy into a box of tautologies.

Moving on. Hegel saw that "synthesis," the fusion of conflicting forces, is an instinctual habit of the Universe/ Totality. Atoms congeal into molecules, molecules into cells, cells into multi cellular life, and I think his perspective was that Human's, as the next stage in the universe's evolution, would be combined into a society-being.
The evolution of lone animals tends to raise the individual to greater heights, makes the Alpha more Alpha. Silverback Gorillas are a good example. But a social species, which is most effectively and intimately manifest in man, would evolve to suppress the great individuals who would disrupt society in favor of a slave/herd morality that served the greater whole. Morality, justice, religion, politics- all of these are simply systems of control, that make the bodily functions of a society more effective. Societies now evolve against one another, and certain traits, such as marriage, patriarchy, etc were so powerful every civ adopted them, in the same way every animal adapted vision, smell, hearing, etc- animals could conceivable exist without these things, but in the competitive reality we live in they never really would.

>1/2
>>
>>823144
Consider me a newbie, what does AFAIK means ?
Yeah he considers spirit was achieved with Napoleon but only in substance, not in external history. I think he would tell us today ( if only he was alive ) that "conceptual" history is finished but not the history as we live it everyday.
>>
>>823164
AFAIK = As far as I know

And I don't I'm not into "general" history anymore, I'm more of a foucauldian now, and this type of history is always happening both conceptually and actually.
>>
>>823173
>this type of history is always happening both conceptually and actually.

You mean history according to hegelian philosophy ?
>>
>>823198
I don't think so...
Aren't we just retreading the path that absolute spirit has walked before us.

But honestly I haven't read Phenomenology of Spirit in a long time.
>>
>>823155
If you look at western society of today, man is being completely compartmentalized- no longer is he a self sustaining individual, he's a cog in a larger machine, that works to sustain the whole of society. Marx got a lot wrong, but he got this right- modern work is alienating and dehumanizing- man is no longer an self actualizing individual, but one blood cell among many, upping production at the cost of humanity.
So back to Fascism- unlike cells in a body, man needs some sort of justification to spur him to action. Religion and God served this purpose for a long time, but modern science has revealed organized religion to be a pretty lie- there might be a God, but it doesn't seem to be anything we can conceive. So now we need a new belief system to organize us into this society-being, and Fascism is the answer. Instead of believing in a God who has a plan for us, we believe in our own collective will, Hegel's "Geist," as being it's own justification.
The West has been avoiding the ugly possibility that fascism and domination is the fatalistic path we must take. Our spiritual depletion has weakened us as we've slipped into hedonism and rejected all moral judgments- and if our society-being doesn't awaken and become more brutal, more confident, then we will be swept away by a weaker, hungrier Society-being- China or Islam.
It might just be our fate to be swept away, the thesis to China's antithesis. It really doesn't matter from the Totality's perspective, only the subjective perspective can care about these things.
>>
>>823209
I don't know, I tend to think that, against Hegel, History isn't finished yet ( and will probably never be ). But the goal is still the same, the "progress in the consciousness of freedom".
>>
>>823231
>"progress in the consciousness of freedom".
That I can agree.
>>
>>823155
no >2/2 ?
>>
>>823376
>>823210
This one, forgot to add the 2/2.

Kinda lost direction and become a rant here, but plays into Hegelian philosophy a bit
>>
File: 1451792735369.jpg (254 KB, 452x572) Image search: [Google]
1451792735369.jpg
254 KB, 452x572
Bump !
>>
>>823155
Here's a better 2/2, my other post, >>823210, went a bit off topic.

So certain structures of existence, certain adaptations, "must" come into existence because of their competitive advantage. The senses have been developed in all animals because they're useful ways of synthesizing information. No animal has a sense organ for Gama rays, even though they could; Not because it isn't possible, but because it isn't useful. In the same way, societies develop competitive structures and belief systems- religions that justify action in a seemingly meaningless world. Laws of justice and morality that force the people, the "cells" of society, to work together to create a greater more competitive whole. Not because the world has meaning, or because morality really exists, but because a civilization that dogmatically believes it has meaning and morality would out compete one that does not.

In this sense, the universe does have a teleology as Hegel put it. There must be one ultimate, undefeatable organization of society that could exist- and that organization should slowly manifest through dialectical struggle.

There is no intelligent force behind this dialectical struggle though; when societies hit their Apex, become more powerful than ever, they begin their descent into destruction. The early Roman empire was weak, and this weakness was punished for every misstep by other civilizations. Conversely, every positive social development was propped up by its own success. But when a civilization becomes most powerful, it no longer has any competitive forces to guide it's development. Poor choices, ideologies, political organizations slowly drain a societies power- but it is still too strong to be reprimanded for these missteps. So it descends into weak ideologies and eventually falls.

>2/3
>>
I think Heidegger corrected him.

The idea that the collective spirit of humanity is somehow self-correcting and will lead to a society of peace, prosperity and reason is ridiculous with just a fleeting glance at the world.
>>
>>823635

Then another civilization-being conquers it (European barbarians? I'm not sure what destroyed Rome). The civilization doesn't simply die out though- it is absorbed into the conqueror, and synthesized into a greater whole- a new development. The new civilization gains some of the spirit of the old, the laws, customs, etc, but retains the vigor and energy of the new civilization.

All civilizations grow in this way, and though the names of the civilizations change, they retain some of the spirit of the past. The west isn't rome, but the evolution of Rome. Civilizations will continue to rise and fall and slowly realize the "ultimate" organization, but the path will be irregular. It will meander, ebb and flow based on the struggles and successes that it encounters.

3/3

>Sorry got convoluted again- this is my own personal philosophy I'm working on and it's still coming together. Thanks for reading if you did, I'd appreciate any thoughts or critique.
>>
>tfw when you find PoS his most useless work

Read some lectures and his Jena writings you plebs. You might actually learn why video games can't be art, ever.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.