[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the United States become everything the founding fathers hated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: thomas-jefferson-banks.jpg (28 KB, 422x316) Image search: [Google]
thomas-jefferson-banks.jpg
28 KB, 422x316
Has the United States become everything the founding fathers hated?
>>
>>819008
No, only the things Jefferson hated.

FEDERALIST VICTORY
>>
>>819122
/thread

Suck it, strict constructionalists.
>>
>>819008
No, but we are in the situation they feared we would be in, with an overly strong executive, bloated federal government, and tattered Constitution.

They planned for this eventuality, however, by writing the fifth article of the Constitution enabling the states to call another Constitutional Convention.

It's getting to that time now.
>>
>>819008
>landed aristocrat complains about the government functioning.
>>
File: thomas-jefferson-55-71-45.jpg (67 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
thomas-jefferson-55-71-45.jpg
67 KB, 850x400
>>819008
People in debt to others or dependent on others for their existence can vote.
Thus elections can be bought rather than achieved through virtue and argument.

Yes, we could power Virginia with the rotational power of Jefferson's grave.
>>
File: 1426883124465.jpg (61 KB, 640x535) Image search: [Google]
1426883124465.jpg
61 KB, 640x535
>>820391
>parasitic corporations forming around a monopoly bank is an example of government fuctioning
>>
>>819008
Just everything the idiotic Democratic-Republicans hated.
>>
>>820376
>>819122

I think I'm in love
>>
>>821863
they should vote lion because they arent natural predators?
>>
>>822190

I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world at the moment where sheep and lions both live. If there is then you can be damn sure that the lions eat the sheep.
>>
why does that even matter? they had no way of knowing that blacks and women would one day be able to vote, that indoor plumbing would exist, that fucking electricity existed, and that atoms were even real. Everything they said or believed in isn't set in stone as the forever law of the land. They were pieces of shit in their own rights and were right on a bunch of things as well.
>>
>>820381
Okay, Rubio
>>
File: alexis de tocqueville.jpg (43 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
alexis de tocqueville.jpg
43 KB, 500x341
>>819008
I'd say so
They wanted to keep out of world affairs if it had nothing to do with America
>>
>>822347
>People in the past were dumb because they didn't foresee the technology of the future
You're right buddy. Fuck Homer, he didn't know about Pulp Fiction, so why does he matter? Machiavelli didn't know that the power over the people would inevitably end up in the hands of a mass-media, so why read the Prince? Nietzsche had didn't know that the world wars would make people value perceived peace and hedonistic pleasure above all else (including their own interests) so why read him?

If only we could make a board for all the dumb shits who talk about silly dumb dead guys who weren't clairvoyant.
>>
Did they want separation of Church and state?
Most of them were Deists or Atheists right?
American has God on the money, in the anthem and in the pledge, most people say they're Christians, and being religious is considered better.
>>
>>822536
I think they wanted it not because they didn't want a nation without people having a specific religion, but because they didn't want the state to endorse any religion because it isn't a state business. Sort of the same reason as of why there on a federal level is no official language yet everyone expect you to speak English.
>>
>>822536
They were Masons
>>
>>822536
They weren't atheist at all
>>
Should Congress do something about Citizens United?
>>
>>822567
Yeah, that's what I thought.
Although you can be any religion other than Christian, is it not bad that it's best to be Christian?
>>
>>822520
>Nietzsche didn't know that the world wars would would make people value percieved peace and hedonistic pleasure above all else
L A S T M A N
A
S
T
M
A
N
>>
When secession stops becoming a joke topic and instead an earnest choice, you should know that something is wrong. Many people believe that the Federal government no longer represents their interests in the slightest, and only exists to remove 2-4 months of their calendar year in garnished wages and not be accountable legally in the slightest.

So yes, the founding fathers would be at a minimum alarmed at the state of affairs, among other things. Many would be shocked to find that we can instantaneously communicate across the globe, but do not use it to learn or for intelligent discourse. Many still would not be alarmed at this, they did after all only allowed propertied men to vote.

Benjamin Franklin would probably be too busy on interpals and tinder.
>>
>>822536
...those weren't added till 1950's to counter the godless commies...
>>
>>822567
>but because they didn't want the state to endorse any religion because it isn't a state business
Sort of. Jefferson advocated for separation because he knew how powerful an influence was over a country. Also, because he believed in the free market of ideas.
>>
>>822946
Yeah I know, so we have become something they hate. Key word there, become.
>>
>>822807
the US is too big and diverse to be a real nation. i should be split into at least 4 different countries.
>>
>>819122
>>820376
>implying

the federalists were a bunch of christfags, they'd probably kill themselves if they saw modern america.
>>
>>823271

This is true.

They freaked out over Jefferson's religious beliefs and called him an atheist. They were the historical equivalent of butthurt weirdos posting hats on the internet,
>>
File: democrat_propaganda.jpg (3 MB, 2772x1935) Image search: [Google]
democrat_propaganda.jpg
3 MB, 2772x1935
>>821867
>Just everything the idiotic Democratic-Republicans hated.
Even each other.
>>
>>823367
you know they didn't actually call themselves the Democratic-republicans?
>>
>>819008
No, just things Jeffy hated. It's a good thing we don't deflate our currency value like Austrians would, because Jeffy has a point about deflation. But basically he was saying slippery slope.
>>
File: these people exist.jpg (368 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
these people exist.jpg
368 KB, 1200x900
>>823337
:3
>>
>>823367
>even each other

That's from the 1800's. Two separate parties
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.