[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Western culture considered the magnum opus of Homo sapiens?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
Why is Western culture considered the magnum opus of Homo sapiens?
>>
File: Charles_Sanders_Peirce_theb3558.jpg (159 KB, 762x1040) Image search: [Google]
Charles_Sanders_Peirce_theb3558.jpg
159 KB, 762x1040
It works
>>
>>817260
You know the answer hurts the feelings of POC and liberals.
>>
It inherited middle eastern and greek/roman ideas. who knows where the continuation will predominantly come from.
>>
>>817260
Because the West conquered the world.
>>
>>817281
What's the answer?
>>
>>817313
>>
A combination of powerful aesthetic sensibilities combined with a strong desire to overcome itself. The West attempted to become 'God' and is now failing.
>>
>>817316
4u
>>
It started out pretty good but then it threw in with capitalism and now it's fucked.

Wonder what the next great civilization will be.
>>
>>817260

The peak was during the middle ages. Now it's a materialist shitstorm that has poisoned the globe and should be destroyed, desu.
>>
File: 3436876823.jpg (27 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
3436876823.jpg
27 KB, 550x366
Because it was.
>>
White privilege
>>
>>817368

>but then it threw in with capitalism and now it's fucked

>implying capitalism is not the main reason why things got so far
>>
>>817566

>>implying capitalism is not the main reason why things got so far

It's not.

Read the economic history of early modern and modern Europe and the history of globalization.
>>
"Western culture" is a product of the cultures of many societies aacross the globe. It just so happens that the west in the recent past provided a sutible environment for all of these advancements to converge upon all coherent whole, likely due to a focus on pragmatism.
>>
>>817575

I admit I did not read it.

My logic follows that the investment of capital accumulated by colonialism and trade in manifaturing lead to the vast european economy. Europe managed to outproduce china due to it's industrial revolution and with it it dominated the world markets.

With no capitalistic economy the old mercantile practices would have failed to exploit the potential for development.

If you want to jab at the modern economy probably you'd have to go against the fiat currency.
>>
>>817368
>>817368
>>817415

Good insight.
>>
19th century mentality remnants p much. A skewed view of evolutionary theory, i.e "the latest step in the evolutionary process is tha bestest!", not just the one most suited for it's specific circumstances. This is commonly known as "social Darwinism", and is the antithesis of any form of progress in a sociological debate.
>>
>>817619
Not wrong, but as far as technology goes we are currently at the highest point. The technological civilisation that grew out of western civilisation is our highest point as a species thus far.
>>
>>817368
Pretty much.

It would have been literal perfection if Napoleon had won.
>>
>>817666
True, if that's the way we want to measure progress (and I don't really oppose that), then yes, the western world from ca 1800 until 10/15 years ago utilized the most complex machinery. However, with the current rates of globalization that parameter becomes rather useless imo, what with IS on twitter, your phone being built in China and India having more phones that toilets (obligatory poo2loo joke here).
>>
>>817675
Nope, you'd have to go further and stop the Enlgihtenment at least. Napoleon is far too late.
>>
>>817356

Wrong.

Eastern communism has attempted and continues to attempt to be God. Look at the unnatural reverance for Lenin, Mao, Kim Il Song, Guevera, etc.
>>
By who?
>>
>>817260
i sure as hell hope no one with something between their ears consider western culture humanites magnum opus

if this is the best we can do culture wise then we are going to end as a sad story
>>
>>818125
The foundation of Enlightenment was fine, it was about the scientific method and applying reason to everything.

But if you want to go farther back, stop the Gothic Middle Ages from getting wrecked so hard by the Plague and Hundred Years War. That's the first time things went to shit for the West: fall of France, Humanism, corruption of the Church, Protestantism...
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.