[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Schopenhauer general: Questions, criticisms, and compliments welcome.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: Schopenhauer Bust 1.jpg (97 KB, 594x394) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer Bust 1.jpg
97 KB, 594x394
Schopenhauer general:

Questions, criticisms, and compliments welcome.
>>
Did he hate sex
>>
Was he just intrigued by the magic of the different and becomes basically a Buddha weaboo
>>
He's right that Hegel was a bullshit artist, right?
>>
File: 34324325.png (120 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
34324325.png
120 KB, 850x400
>>
>>816839

Insofar as sex perpetuates life, and thus affirms the will-to-live (the blind force of urgency that manifests as the misery-filled natural universe), yes.

In fact, Schopenhauer wrote that the feeling of guilt often associated with sexuality results from our vague awareness that the act of reproduction helps to perpetuate the guilty cycle of selfishness, predation, and suffering that characterizes nature.
>>
>>816872

> the magic of the different

Not sure what you mean by this.
>>
>>816701
The only German Idealists who could write one paragraph of text.
>>
I don't see anything worng with his philosophy. Why is he not talked about more? Is it because his style is so clear that academics can't distort his words to suit their own agendas like they can with Hegel?

Also, how would a Shopenhauerian society play out? Would his world-denying and will-to-live-denying ultimately result in backwardness and abandonment of duty by all citizens?
>>
I read Schopenhauer when I was 14 and he ruined my teens.
>>
>>817008
Schopenhauer despite being a genius had a great deal of his philosophy improved only a few years later by Nietzsche and he lives in the man's shadow.

Schopenhauer's society is Nietzsche's Last Man. People live passive, relaxed lives, with as little pain as possible and lose themself in entertainment and the arts.
>>
File: 1450357657025[2].jpg (137 KB, 780x1040) Image search: [Google]
1450357657025[2].jpg
137 KB, 780x1040
>>816701
>Schopenhauer

Buddhism for dummies, now with a misogynistic flavor.
>>
>>817337
>People live passive, relaxed lives, with as little pain as possible and lose themself in entertainment and the arts.

Sounds like good life to me.
>>
>>817594
My philosophy teacher in highschool who had the kindness to remind us that she was a feminist every fucking class said he one of the most important figures in modern philosophy.
>>
>>817615
She's wrong.
>>
>>817008

Someone smart once said that Shopenhauer is much more widely read than talked about since a lot of philosophical establishment hates the guy/finds his texts uncomfortable.
>>
>>817615
His key contribution was pissing off Nietzsche.
>>
>>817008

>Why is he not talked about more? Is it because his style is so clear that academics can't distort his words to suit their own agendas like they can with Hegel?

He hits to close to home for many people. When you read his works you agree with him on a subconscious level but you don't really want to since it's not a pretty picture.

On the other hand he was not an edgelord like Nietzsche so it's hard to outright dismiss him as one. The best solution for someone who doesn't accept his views is to not talk about them. Many people who actually tried to attack him had to do so from a personal angle claiming that his lifestyle doesn't reflect what he claimed people should do.
>>
Schopy's got some of the best aesthetics in the biz

>>817594
>le epic wrong think meme

Fuck off
>>
>>817629
Modern philosophies most important figures are Nietzsche, Schopenhauer and Hegel.
>>
>>817756
>When you read his works you agree with him on a subconscious level but you don't really want to since it's not a pretty picture.
Like what?
>>
>>817962
What about Kierkegaard
>>
>>817962
Nietzsche is a strict upgrade of Schopenhauer, who is a localization of practical Buddhism.
Hegel is an abstract puke that everyone reads in a different way, he is like modern art.

The most important figures in "modern philosophy" are surely Nietzsche, Marx, Locke and Newton.
>>
>>818005
>Newton
I hate memes
>>
>>818007
>you have to be useless to society to be a philosopher

Him having a job doesnt make him less relevant.
>>
File: deathlysmileofdoom.jpg (141 KB, 674x714) Image search: [Google]
deathlysmileofdoom.jpg
141 KB, 674x714
>2016
>still submitting to the Wille zum Leben
>not becoming a wiseman eremite philosopher
>not being independent from society
pls
>>
>>818150
>chaining philosophy to christianity

Middle drawer kek.
>>
File: deebly_goncerned.png (116 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
deebly_goncerned.png
116 KB, 600x500
>>818156
Huh man what?
>>
>>818160
"wiseman eremite philosopher" meaning the christian hermit, reclusive and far away from society
its not compatible with modern life, nor with the thinking man
>>
>>818168
Okay I still don't know how Christianity came into play here. Being incompatible with modern life is the whole point behind that. And why would being alone come into conflict with being a thinking person?
>>
>>818174
eremite quite literally evokes christianity
its the definition of the word
>>
>>818188
lel what
I wanna see that definition. I couldn't find one
>>
File: religious recluse.jpg (95 KB, 779x896) Image search: [Google]
religious recluse.jpg
95 KB, 779x896
>>818193
Googling is hard.
>>
>>818201
The words "Christian" or "Christianity" don't even turn up once on that page.
>>
>>818207
"A christian hermit" is literally the first of the featured definitions, and all of the rest say "religious" out of political correctness.
>>
>>>817962
>Nietzsche is a strict upgrade of Schopenhauer,
Schopenauer is mind teacher of Nietzsche.
>>
File: 1396728031963.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1396728031963.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>817008
I don't think Schopenhauer presents any sort of imperative in the sense of how man is supposed to act. He admits himself that the denial of base instincts is not for everyone. Schopenhauer is a very attentive critic of human society and human nature and one can get a better understanding of it by reading Schopenhauer. Rather than attempting to create some sort of Schopenhauerian Utopia, one should simply attempt to improve society as it is, in regards to the observations Schopenhauer made. However, these are anything but PC and would be eagerly dismissed in our current day societies, which are still rather idealistic.

For example: I consider 4chan a very Schopenhauerian place.

It is an anonymous platform. People have no lasting accounts. They can't make a name for themselves, and those who attempt to do so (tripfags) are scorned by the community. In that regard, it circumvents human vanities that haunt other communities on the internet, where everyone attempts to present himself from his best side, and every post also serves the purpose of positive self-portrayal rather than merely exchanging thoughts and opinions on subjects. Gender is a thing that plays no role on 4chan, everyone is per default assumed to be male or genderless, and disclosing ones gender is regarded to be attention whoring - not out of misogyny, but because people realise that a place where lonely virgin neckbeards dwell, the visible presence of women would disrupt conversation.

Other places, as well as many real life societies, would attempt to change human nature rather than building structures that accommodate for mankind's natural weaknesses.

They believe that people can - or rather must - learn to deal with certain things, but this is an effort in futility, since man is not a reasonable creature but a creature that is occasionally reasonable but still mostly driven by its subconscious desires which mask behind a layer of reason.
>>
>>819543
Lol nice remarks on 4chan
I once entertained the idea of being a Schopenhauerite, but in the present context of masochistic altruism and left-wing hysteria I figured this was not the philosophy mankind needed right now, as it is conducive to passivity in face of evil. I speculate (with Nietzsche) that this sort of thing lead to the demise of the Aryans of India: weariness of life. Schopenhauer is known to have admired the Hindu Upanishads and Buddhist scriptures.
>>
>>817756
I don't know if it's as much dismissing him, though he hits close to home, as choosing a different narrative. Hardly anyone can argue with his ideas of suffering, but he frames these ideas within the ethos of avoiding suffering, and, as he understands it must entail, withdraw from desire and life. It's not very different from the Buddhist solution to, so to speak, the problem of suffering. What the counter-narrative that emerged after him, starting with but not at all limited to Nietzsche, was that the problem of suffering was not in fact a problem but that suffering is a characteristic of life and experience just as happiness to inmerse oneself in yadda yadda. Still, existentialism itself, even if antithetical to Schopenhauer owes his ideas a great debt because it couldn't have emerged without them, without the clear and candid outlining of what we had framed as the problem of existence in more evasive and obscure ways.
>>
File: 1400481438317.jpg (74 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1400481438317.jpg
74 KB, 422x600
Am I the only one who views Schopy as nothing more than a very sad, lonely, old man who tried his hardest to rationalize his own depression and feelings of inadequacy?
>>
>>817008
>Also, how would a Shopenhauerian society play out?
He literally said that monarchism is right, and that he'd rather be abused by a pure-breed, than a group of muds.
>>
>>820153
That's a too dismissive and reductionist analysis of Schopenhauer, he made much more out of depression and inadequacy than just rationalize it. You could make a similar statement out of virtually most philosophers but wouldn't be any closer to getting what their worth is.
>>
>>820153
That might be part of the underlying reason why he reached held certain opinions but important is not why someone says certain things or who he is but only what is being said. And Schopenhauer makes compelling arguments.
>>
>>820153
Literally projection : The Post
>>
>>820153
>his worldview is dark ergo he was a cuck

I hate this meme
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-E5YJlL5aA
>>
>>817748
Most of philosophy is created by the older generation pissing off the younger generation. Kant wouldn't have picked up the pen if not for how retarded he thought Hume was.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.