[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Hamilton. Worth being put on the $10?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: MTE5NDg0MDU0OTg3MjQ1MDcx.jpg (119 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU0OTg3MjQ1MDcx.jpg
119 KB, 1200x1200
Redpill me on Hamilton. Worth being put on the $10?
>>
>>810386

>redpill me

First of all, fuck off. Second of all, who really gives a shit who is put on fiat currency? If you're going to start caring, campaign for Jackson to be taken off since it's an insult to the man.
>>
>>810386
Worth putting on every bill.
>>
>>810405
>insulting Andrew Jackson
But thats a good thing
>>
>>810386
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hamilton#Secretary_of_the_Treasury
>>
Modern intellectuals like him because he is seen as a centralizer who helped usher a strong federal government in the United States.
>>
>>810414
After the chaos that was the Articles of Confederation can you blame them for wanting a function federal government?
>>
>>810422
I'm not saying he was wrong or right. I actually like his protectionist tariffs too. I'm just telling the reason why Hamilton is seeing such a revival in modern times, with hip musicals and everything.
>>
File: Traianus_Glyptothek_Munich_336.jpg (2 MB, 1683x2420) Image search: [Google]
Traianus_Glyptothek_Munich_336.jpg
2 MB, 1683x2420
>>810438
>Hamilton musical
Seriously?
>>
>>810438
Because the SJW's want to take him off of the $10, and put on a broad.
>>
>>810422
he wasn't the only guy who wanted a functional federal government, Madison was much more influential in getting the Constitution passed than Hamilton. The knock against Hamilton was his financial plans would've centralized banking power in the urban northeast and his desire for national debt would've also favored the northeast as they were in far more debt than the south after the revolution. So his monetary policies can easily be said to have sectarian biases. But yeah, I think he should definitely be on our currency.
>>
>>810451
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_%28musical%29

>>810466
Isn't it Andrew Jackson whom they want to take?
>>
File: Fiat500.jpg (23 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
Fiat500.jpg
23 KB, 400x271
>>810405
>fiat currency
>>
>>810485
After people defended Hamilton.
>>
>>810485
I hope there's an extended sequence where he just talks about national fiscal policy with a bunch of lawyers and accountants.
>>
>>810386
Alexander hamilton was an opponent to democraccy and backed a more Oligarchial democracy. Which, I mean, isn't necessarily a bad thing. As our current electorate shows, maybe the wild masses will choose someone who destabalizes the country?

He was also an ardent abolitionist and his economic works were years ahead of his time. The man was incredibly gifted with the pen.
>>
>>810405
Shut up stupid. Redpill is a good meme.

I dont know who jackson is, so cant comment on that.
>>
>>810516
We'll never be an oligarchy! Trump! Trump! Trump!
>>
File: 1457477373012.jpg (20 KB, 480x633) Image search: [Google]
1457477373012.jpg
20 KB, 480x633
>>810519
>I don't know who Jackson is
>>
>>810508
It's all rapped. The cabinet debates are ral battles.
>>
>>810520
FOR HIS IMPRESSIVE SIZE, HE'S A NIMBLE NAVIGATOR
>>
Arguably one of the the three or four most important post-Revolution figures along with Washington, Madison and maybe Jefferson (I think Jefferson's importance comes from his work pre-Republican work and that after the establishment of the nation he becomes a crank who probably should've been charged with treason). His policies placed the United States on good footing and I think history's shown them to be the right decisions as attempts to curtail it during Jefferson's presidency (taking away government power/the military), Madison's (enablign the national bank to expire) and Jackson's (shutting down the national bank) were fairly disasterous, the first two being a big cause of why the US couldn't effectively fight the War of 1812, the second being a big part in the Panic of 1837.

>>810451
It's supposed to be good (I wouldn't know, I know nothing about stage musicals) and incredibly popular to the point where it's hard to get tickets for it. It's based off of Ron Chernow's biography so read that.
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MjM2Nzc2OTcx.jpg (128 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MjM2Nzc2OTcx.jpg
128 KB, 1200x1200
>>810531
>>
>>810531
Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness
We fought for these ideals we shouldn't settle for less
these are wise words, entriprise em and quote em
don't act surprise you guys cause I wrote
em

owwwww but hamilton forgets
His plan with how the government
assume states debts
now place your bets as to who that benefits
the very seat of government where hamilton sits
>>
>>810485
>Isn't it Andrew Jackson whom they want to take?
Yes but the $10 was up for redesign next so the treasury just went "well people want a woman on money so let's get rid of the guy who should be our patron saint and not the one everyone wants off".
>>
>>810538
Ulysses S Grant is a fucking Baller and my current favorite figure in US history
>>
>>810539
9/10
>>
>>810544
He was an exceptionally sad man. He wasn't the worst president, but I think his time spent in the Mexican and Civil wars scared him deeply.
>>
>>810516
>He was also an ardent abolitionist and his economic works were years ahead of his time. The man was incredibly gifted with the pen.
Talleyrand considered Hamilton the greatest man of his time, which included Napoleon.

The biggest knock I'd put on Hamilton is the Alien and Sedition Acts but at the same time given the rhetoric being espoused by the Democratic-Republicans (i.e. what amounted to calls for secession if not open rebellion against the government and a desire to bring over French citizens and some of that Revolutionary zeal with them) they had SOME reason to be paranoid enough to pass it. Jefferson, while vice-president, was outright writing resolutions to allow Kentucky to secede which led to all of the nullification shit that eventually played a part in starting the Civil War.
>>
>>810571
Grant was probably the slimiest politician to ever get into the white house. Went from a racist democrat to a radical republicans wonderboy in a matter of 6 years. Then was corrupt enough to get all the aforementioned radical republicans to hate him.
>>
>>810638
At least he's not Pierce
>>
>>810638
>dat propaganda
kek
>>
>>810536
>Expanded the country more than any other American president
>useless after pre-Republic
>>
>>810742
Napoleon realized that the territory was worthless without Saint-Domingue so was looking to give it away. The United States was looking solely to purchase New Orleans (for $10 million) and Napoleon just decided to throw the entire territory in for an extra $5 million.

The biggest issue was th constitutionality of it which Madison said was fine so Jefferson approved it but anyone could've been President and it would've likely happened.
>>
>>810519
>redpill is a good meme
>I don't know who Jackson is

Redpillfags confirmed for uneducated trash!
>>
>>810929
Which is hilarious because the French didn't have a claim to NO (Spanish owned it) and Napoleon sold the US a bunch of territory they didn't even want.
>>
>>810386
He literally built the financial system of the United States from nothing, and managed to wrangle all of their war debt into something that other nations would be interested in putting up with. He should be on the $20 bill instead of Andrew "My Little Autocrat Can't Be This Boorish" Jackson.
>>
>>811511
Well Spain was in the middle of transferring it to France, just dragging their feet about it. Napoleon got fed up with waiting for it and since it served no purpose just went "to hell with it, take the whole thing".
>>
>>810451
It's pretty good mate, go check it out.
>>
It's a gross miscarriage of justice that people don't know more about Hamilton; and want to take him off the bill for a women.
He's integral to America becoming the superpower it is today.
Without him, or Madison it's hard to say whether or not America would've worked in the first place.

I fucking hate forced diversity.
>>
>>810516
I hate Hamilton's politics but I like him as a person.

I like Jefferson's politics but I hate him as a person.
>>
>>812324
>I hate him as a person

why? TJ was smooth as fuck
>>
>>812356
>MUH JEFFERSON BIBLE
>muh slaves
>>
>>812302
>Without him, or Madison it's hard to say whether or not America would've worked in the first place.

This. Now that I think about it, Madison is the most underrated Thinker of all time.
>>
>>812365
what the fuck are you going on about?
>>
>>810638
B8? Gr8 b8, m8.
>>
The US needs to mint a silver coin with a portrait of angry screaming Jackson on one side and a hand flipping the bird on the other.
>>
>>812378
>>812302
Nah, they're thinking of taking Jackson off the $20 instead now. Which, considering what he did, is pretty fair tbqh. I can think of dozens of other Americans I'd rather honor on our money than Jackson, and I'm not entirely convinced the Fed didn't just put him on the bill as a giant "fuck you" for disassembling the Bank of the United States/
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.