[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heroes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: Statue-of-Spartacus-400.jpg (49 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
Statue-of-Spartacus-400.jpg
49 KB, 400x267
Who would you consider the most revered heroes in european history?

I'd nominate Spartacus or Joan of Arc
>>
Alexander the Great, bar none.
>>
>>802821
Charles Martel
Jan Sobieski
Richard the Lionhart
Prince Eugen of Savoy
Adolf Hitler
>>
>>802827
I had him in mind as well
>>
>>802836
>Eugene of Savoy
Literally nobody knows his name outside of students of late renaissance military matters.

I'd say Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Richard the Lionheart. Doesn't mean they deserve to be revered, just that they are.
>>
>>802844
Its only because of the scale of his achievement, the beauty of its tragic fall, and the classical world belonging to the successor states up until Rome rose.

It was a good story, a good time, and the diadochi by themselves could've made for great epic heroes.

By luck or fate, it is one of the most inspiring times of human history.
>>
>>802861
Old Alex really did live a pretty heroic life, nobody everybody in the west sucked his cock for centuries after

After being taught by one of the most influencial philosophers of all time the nigger just set out to rule the fuckin world. When he'd barely be old enough to drive today. He cucked the shah of persia so hard the shah's MOTHER mourned his passing more than her own blood related son.

IIRC when he was in central asia he just jumped over the walls of a city his men were to pussy to attack, then they followed him in after watching him trying 1v10000

-"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
>>
Hercules
>>
What about Francis of Assisi?

A hero of a different sort, to be sure, but someone who nearly stands alone as a moral example.
>>
>>803010
He's a literally who

Hercules on the other hand, everyone knows his name.
>>
Vlad Tepes
El Cid
Alexander Nevsky
>>
>>802821
Franklin D. Roosevelt

AKA the man who killed hitler
>>
Pontius Pilate
>>
>>802821

Charlemagne maybe?
>>
>>803010
Who?
>>
>>803087
There's an entire genre of romances based on him, like King Arthur
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1062x764) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1062x764
Constantine XI Palaiologos. He sacrificed himself to start the renesance.
>>
Any contemporary European heroes?
>>
Boudicca?

Arminius?

Alfred the Great?

They're pretty larger than life
>>
>>803122
Simo Haya killed over 1500 communists
>>
>>803121
An eyewitness said he committed suicide
>>
>>803121
>texas sharpshooter
>>
>>803152
Technically yes, he did. But he died in a last stand.
>>
File: 1456194538053.jpg (53 KB, 960x957) Image search: [Google]
1456194538053.jpg
53 KB, 960x957
>>802851
>lionheart
>>
File: garibaldiritratto.jpg (123 KB, 1050x1355) Image search: [Google]
garibaldiritratto.jpg
123 KB, 1050x1355
>>803122
I think Garibaldi was a sort of contemporary hero.
>>
Jesus
Alexander the Great
Hector (Achilleus a bitch nigga)
Julius Caesar
>>
>>802821
Easily Hitler.
>>
File: REI hero.png (261 KB, 599x521) Image search: [Google]
REI hero.png
261 KB, 599x521
DEFINE "EUROPEAN HISTORY"
>>
>>803211
>European
Half your list doesn't fit the bill bub.
>>
Alexander the Great is definitely at the top of the list. Id say maybe Marius as well.. More because of his importance to the Romans and the vast change he brought that his actual heroic deeds though...
I wouldnt consider Caesar a hero... More of a fiend lol
>>
>>803522
Yes, but Marius is barely revered at all. Even some people interested in the Punic Wars and Caesar's wars, etc. don't know his name.
>>
File: 2016-03-07-23-57-08-1125350433.jpg (5 KB, 106x144) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-07-23-57-08-1125350433.jpg
5 KB, 106x144
Salah ad-Din Yusuf
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.