[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Analytic or continental philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 666x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 666x408
Analytic or continental philosophy?
>>
>>79364
>Analytic
http://www.philpapers.org/archive/sinPG
>>
>>79364
Both. A lot of analytic stuff is autistic though.
>>
>>79515
And all continental stuff is pseudo-intellectual sophistry.
>>
File: god is dead.jpg (48 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
god is dead.jpg
48 KB, 264x400
>>79544
Philosophy without continental philosophy is like food without spice.
>>
continental

if you don't begin with the question of being, get the fuck out of my face

i respect and value clear, logical arguments, but it's vitally important to talk as broadly and abstractly about reality as possible rather than focusing on the most narrow, isolated questions
>>
File: 878975754.png (825 KB, 954x538) Image search: [Google]
878975754.png
825 KB, 954x538
>First, continental philosophers generally reject the view that the natural sciences are the only or most accurate way of understanding natural phenomena.

DROOPED
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
>>79611
Better? Spice is unnecessary and useless.
>>79643
You are Being a huge faggot. Go wank over how you /feel/ that life is, like, so Absurd, man. You continentals are total sophists.
>>
File: Euphoric.gif (793 KB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
Euphoric.gif
793 KB, 360x203
>>79664
>>
>>79709
So do you have any actual objections to continental philosophy or are you just gonna talk feels?
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 509x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 509x378
>>79744
>>
>>79364
Pragmatism.
>>
>>79775
Continental philosophy has no practical uses, it's just a big wank for pseuds.
>>
>>79830
This sounds rather continental.
>>
File: fullZZZZZZTVC060527084420PIC.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fullZZZZZZTVC060527084420PIC.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
>>79744
das rite
>>
>>79830
You're one of those people, aren't you?

>why do we care about this?
>it has no practical use

Why is the pursuit of knowledge/truth not a use in and of itself?
>>
Foucault, Baudrillard, and to a lesser extent Deleuze shit is so annoying because of the manner it is expressed. Truth is, what they are saying is very simple and easily conveyed if they talked in a clearer manner.

Analytic philosophy can get very autistic though.
>>
>>79483
What the fuck am I reading? Who let /r9k/ publish a paper?
>>
What I do is I read books by philosophers. If they make good points, I take them on board, if they fail to, I construct arguments against them or fill in the gaps of their views to make it more robust.

Because of this I am unable to participate in this debate because I'm not familiar with the differences between 'continental' and 'analytic' philosophy. I can infer some differences from the titles, but if I think about it for more than a few minutes it becomes nonsensical or, at least, superfluous.

It seems to me that there is so little untouched by culture and science that if you're going to study philosophy, you may as well just study philosophy. I can tell you how functionalism and panpsychism describe the same objective universe, but I can't have a pissing contest over my favourite philosopher. Guess I'm just a dumb-shit.
>>
Both. Very few serious academics are 100% one way or the other in this day and age. Any quality undergraduate education should contain both. And any casual reader should examine both. If you earnestly believe that continental philosophy is just muh feels, you haven't read anything but quotes people post on tumblr.
>>
>>79709
>Spice is unnecessary and useless.
britbong detected
>>
>>80467
David Lewis wrote a book called "On the Plurality of Worlds" that goes full retard with modal logic.
Kripke insisted that modality just be a semantic or logical notion and that speak of "possible worlds" are just grammatical hypotheticals, David argued that they could have existence in the sense of mathematics (a practical construct that has many applications), many people confuse his notion with the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics and thus people attacked him for believing in non-actual possible worlds. the joke of the paper is that he's hypothetically not wrong in interpreting lewis that way because for any "possible" there corresponds a world (non-causally related) with those conditions. Its just a theoretical apparatus Lewis thought would be helpful in the same sense that propositions are spoken of, but people ridicule him to this day for it
>>
File: 1413967888908.jpg (976 KB, 1926x1078) Image search: [Google]
1413967888908.jpg
976 KB, 1926x1078
>>79611
How well put.

Depends on the context i believe. Political philosophy and other hard-tact dilemmas really don't need any flare - for its a question of logistics.

But the more existential questions - the questions that need answers only because we're human - they're the ones that really benefit from continental philosophy. Because when meaning, truth and value break down under the death of God and emergence of Nihilism, spice seems to be what remains: it's why Camus always talks about sunsets and the feeling of a beautiful womens skin, and why Neitzsche talks about victory and vanquishing your enemies, or why Kant suggests beauty is in the frustration of not knowing. Its a tautology - humanity and spice go together in the same way that we think logically (if X and Y are true, then Z) - and if logic breaks down, as i have suggested it does, then there is no reason to abandon the spice also!
>>
>>79364
Continental, analytic philosophy can't grasp hermeneutics
>>
Analytic. If we're going to argue about whether something is right or wrong, we have to prove it. Otherwise the discussion is pointless.

Continental philosophy doesn't do the whole 'logic and evidence' thing, so it can't establish proof or fact. Thus, it's basically religion. Which is fine, I'm religious myself, but then just call it religion or theology. Don't pretend you're looking for a discussable truth.
>>
>>79709
> Spice
> Unnecessary and useless

How many people did the Dutch kill over it?

>>79364
Neither and both in their own respects.
>>
>>80917
>Continental philosophy doesn't do the whole 'logic and evidence' thing
>>
File: 1405368936222.jpg (86 KB, 492x750) Image search: [Google]
1405368936222.jpg
86 KB, 492x750
>>80661

wtf
>>
Anyone that takes the continental/analytic divide as something serious is an idiot. All philosophy is analytical, because that's what philosophy is about analyzing shit. No special snowflake crap allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3Ke1tF9dU
>>
anayltic philosphy is beloved by virgin autistic faggots
>>
>>79364

Continental for sure.
>>
>>80998
show me logic and evidence in deconstruction theory
>>
>implying Dummett didn't dissolve the divide with his book "Origins of Analytic Philosophy"
>Brentano, Frege, and Husserl were all bros
>>
>>80321
>Why is the pursuit of knowledge/truth not a use in and of itself?
Because it has vast benefits?
>>
>>79364
I love me some continental
>>
>>79709

>spice is unnecessary and useless
This is what white people believe after killing so many people over it?
>>
>>79744
Nice ad hom.
>>
I prefer analytic philosophy. I believe continental philosophy does have valuable things to say, but the lack of argumentation annoys me. Argumentation is what characterizes philosophy, not using phony made.up concepts desu senpai
>>
>>80917
this
>>
>>82843
You're really racist.
>>
>>79709
>Spice is unnecessary and useless.
It's like a caricature of the person analytic philosophy appeals to.
>>
>>82843
das rite senpai baka
>>
>>79483
modal realism theory says possible worlds cant have things in common, like an intersection. Objects can't be in two different worlds. I think that's what this article wants to argue against, haven't read it tho.

the author may be autistic too idk
>>
>>83047
so what's baka translated from
>>
>>83174
baka (SHAKING MY HEAD)
>>
>>83195
cheers
>>
used to be all about analytic until I read truth and method
>>
>>83126
You appear to have the common problem with the concept of objects. Objects only exist in relation to the totality.
>>
>>83835
>Objects only exist in relation to the totality.
Prove it
>>
>>83835
That's the point, objects cant be part of two different totalities or worlds
>>
Fuck science, mane.
>>
File: 1442713320124.png (504 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
1442713320124.png
504 KB, 454x600
DAS DIALEKTIK
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.