[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good books on Irish slavery in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Any good books on Irish slavery in America?
>>
There never were Irish slaves.

Saged & filtered.
>>
File: Irish slavery.png (499 KB, 1657x1604) Image search: [Google]
Irish slavery.png
499 KB, 1657x1604
>>789412
>>
>muh irish slavery
>>
File: 1446492955712.jpg (463 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1446492955712.jpg
463 KB, 600x450
>>789412
It's times like this that make me glad the anglo is destroying himself and giving over his country to foreigners

inshallah
>>
>>789419
>sources
>>
>>789459
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2455819.White_Cargo
>>
>>789433
I think I was the first person to use that monk as a reaction picture. It makes me happy that others enjoy it.
>>
>>789466
How credible is this book? Do the authors provide sources or is it akin to niggers claiming that they were "kangz an shiet".
>>
>>789401
There was never Irish slavery in the way that there was African slavery.

Millions of Irish Protestants and Scots-Irish settlers were brought to America in the 17th century on the requisite that they work without wages, but these people would be free after a set period of time, had legal protections against abuse, and would be able to bear free children.

The poverty of these indentured servants has passed through to their modern-day descendents in the Rural South, so clearly their conditions were awful. But they weren't enslaved to the same degree as African Americans.
>>
>>789702
Prove it.
>>
>>789753
Well there was no massive population of enslaved Irishmen in 1860 so...
>>
>>789466
White Cargo is pop history junk

The indentured servitude that the Irish were subject to isn't the same thing as chattel slavery
>>
>>789852
So what? Does that mean it's wrong to bring attention to the plight of the Irish in the early modern era or elaborate on what the conditions that people endured in indentured servitude (which you seem to be treating as if it's incomparable to any kind of slavery not merely "[not] the same thing as chattel slavery) were like?
>>
>>789879
It's just annoying when people who don't actually give a shit about the suffering of indentured Irish bring it up to make African slavery seem less horrible.
>>
>>789412
There were, but it was different from black slavery. For one, their offsprings didn't automatically become slaves.

But it's a fact that indentured servitude existed and wasn't always voluntary.
>>
Anyone have any actual sources or legitimate accounts or are we all just going to speculate out of our asses?
>>
>>789753
White servitude is incredibly well-documented. They would work for seven years and then be free. Their conditions were terrible, but temporary. The same is not true of African slavery.

>>789879
It's great to bring attention to the plight of the Irish imports! Their conditions were absolutely terrible, and had major implications on the economic status of Scots-Irish people today, who I believe are the poorest ethnic group in the US after African Americans and Natives.

What's wrong is using the plight of Irish people as some bizarre way to discount African slavery. This shit >>789419 is awful, because politicizing indentured servitude is exploitative and offensive to the memory of those Irish workers.
>>
>>789401
Neol Ignatiev is your man, because How the Irish Became White essentially began the study of Irish slavery/servitude. Until the 20th century, it had been all-but forgotten.

IMO whiteness studies is a horribly understudied area, especially because most literature is sociological rather than historical.
>>
>>789906
>Noel Ignatiev
>the son of Jewish immigrants from Russia
>joined the Communist Party USA in January 1958, but in August left (along with Theodore W. Allen and Harry Haywood) to help form the Provisional Organizing Committee to Reconstitute the Marxist-Leninist Communist Party (POC).

So his kike parents flee a communist shit holr and he subsequent tries to make America into a communist shithole. Looks like /pol/ is right again.
>>
>>789906
>whiteness studies
This garbage needs to be put down. Noel Ignatiev advocates the elimination of the white race.
>>
>>789883
>>789900
As an American of Irish descent, I find that any mention of Irish indentured servitude is immediately countered with "But the African slaves had it worse." I just wish that people could look at these things in absolute terms sometimes; that is, I think it would be as worthwhile to study Irish indentured servitude in isolation from the African slave trade as it would be to study the African slave trade in isolation from Irish indentured servitude. But that's hard to do, and it's even harder to just talk about Irish indentured servitude in itself, because everyone immediately brings up African slavery. The unification of all European and African ethnic groups under the labels of 'white' and 'black' is really the core of the problem, the colonial workforce was far more ethnically diverse in both areas than the typical "White slave owners enslaved blacks and forced black slaves to work under terrible conditions" narrative gets across.
>>
>>789906
>Noel Ignatiev

You know this is one of the of the shittiest people to read. Dude is an outspoken Jewish Marxist and a former Soviet agent who says he hates whiteness and how it needs to be abolished, not to mention his works are full of emotional appeals and outright fabrications. The fucker is like a /pol/ caricature becoming reality.
>>
>>790028
African slaves had it better than the Irish indentured servants.
>>789879
Chattle slavery is no real different than other types of slavery, it's just the legal description
>>
>>790028
>and it's even harder to just talk about Irish indentured servitude in itself,
And here I distinguish between academic and non-academic discourse, just to clarify what I mean by this.
>>
>>789412
bump
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.