[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why have Germany and Japan had such close ties for so much of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1436959813591.jpg (34 KB, 452x572) Image search: [Google]
1436959813591.jpg
34 KB, 452x572
Why have Germany and Japan had such close ties for so much of the time they've been aware of each other? Similar militaristic values stretching back to a semi-mythical, romanticized warrior past? Or just historical synchronicity?
>>
They haven't.
>>
>>787941
>Why have Germany and Japan had such close ties for so much of the time they've been aware of each other?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-German_cooperation_until_1941
>>
>>787941
They didn't. Germany just up and switched from backing China to backing Japan.
>>
>>787944
I would delete the thread now if I could
>>
>>787941
It's not so much close ties, but when the japanese mission to europe was there studying to adopt a europe system of government they had three choices

- degenerate republicanism of France (out of the question)
- anglo parliamentarianism (i forgot why they didnt adopt this)
- prussian autism (the second reich) - they chose this
>>
>>787944
>mock Germany during World War I and World War II.[3]

Germany, however, had a major impact on the development of Chinese law. In the years preceding the fall of the Qing Dynasty, Chinese reformers began drafting a Civil Code based largely on the German Civil Code,[4] which had already been adopted in neighboring Japan.

This is what I was talking about, though--why did Japan adopt German legal codes before China did?
>>
>>787963
>This is what I was talking about, though--why did Japan adopt German legal codes before China did?

Because Prussia is a success story that Asian nations could hope to follow
>>
>>787960
>french republicanism

Why would this so blatantly not work in japan at the time?
Genuinely curious
>>
>>787968
Is that the best answer you can give me? :/
>>787980
The Japanese in the 19th century were very committed to the cult of the Emperor. The notion of a legislative body being on or above his level in their hierarchy was offensive to a culture that had little interest in revolutionary politics.
>>
>>787941
You know they went to war against each other in the first world war, right?
>>
File: OttoVonBismarckAndLiHungTschang.jpg (419 KB, 1175x871) Image search: [Google]
OttoVonBismarckAndLiHungTschang.jpg
419 KB, 1175x871
>>787988
not the guy, but. HOLYSHIT ARE YOU RETARDED? Sorry, but I would think you at least had some historical knowledge.
>Is that the best answer you can give me? :/
The reason Japan adopted the German Civil Code before China, which they didn't, was that the Qing Dynasty didn't give a single fuck about European administration. The only thing they were intrested in were to modernize their own military after European standards. However, turns out that to modernize your military costs a shitton of money! And it is not so easy when you don't have the Govermental structure or institutions to uphold it, which was one of the reasons that fucked up China (and the fact that they focused more on land than their navy, which was the main reason they lost the war against Imperial Powers and Japan.)

China basically thought that all they needed was to modernize their military, Japan learned from this.
>>
>>790791
So you're saying that when the Meiji constitution was drafted, nobody made any considerations that weren't directly related to military reform?
>>
>>790842
I didn't say anything about the meji restoration, except the fact that China thought they could beat the Imperial powers by following their traditional ways, while Japan wanted to go full cuck and become more western.
>>
>>790869
OK, but why are you characterizing all of this in militaristic terms?
>>
>>790885
Because China thought all it needed to BTFO the Imperial powers was to learn how to use and produce Western firearms and ships
>>
>>790991
OK, but what did Japan do differently? Why are you talking about China so much at all? It's possible to address Japanese-German relations without referring to the Qing (i.e. you could talk about the Meiji restoration a bit more), I find your insistence that this is the best answer you can give me kind of troubling.
>>
>>787941
Wasn't always like that m8. Kaiser Wilhelm was the one trying to spread the whole "Yellow Peril" boogeyman
>>
I am guessing you are an anglo OP. The truth is that the Nationalism that took part in Germany was the last one to take part and was more adaptable to the rest of the world that didn't have the same historical advantage that France and England had, namely empires old as centuries. There's a reason most countries had romantism literature that was combined with nationalism(volkgeists and such themes) and that's basically the german type of romantism.
>>
>Why are you talking about China so much at all?
Because you asked why Japan adopted German civil code before China.

If you are after more information about meji restoration i am not the guy to ask
>>
>>791135
I asked you about China because someone else mentioned it.
I will ask someone else, you obviously don't know what I want to know.
>>
>>787941
Don't forget late-comers to capitalism and conservative State-induced modernization on the 19th century. Synchronicity indeed.

The forces of universal order had great plans for humanity, but the forces of anarchy (marxism, liberalism and international Jewry) triumphed this round.

Heil Hitler the Avatar of the Eternal God.
>>
>>791620
Oh and now both their populations are shrinking. Perhaps not enough suitable bodies for noble souls to incarnate in this debased and Jewified earth?
>>
>>791061
Kaiser wilhelm 2 was a cultural cuck and aberration. HE desperately wanted to be an anglo but even the anglos didn't want him. i dont think kaiser wilhelm 1 had much to do with colonialism.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.