[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Vikings were so based, why did they fail to conquest anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: 1457146395855.jpg (816 KB, 827x1040) Image search: [Google]
1457146395855.jpg
816 KB, 827x1040
If Vikings were so based, why did they fail to conquest anything notable ?
>>
Vikings are basically a White Nationalist meme at this point.
>>
>>787175
Whys he so smug, bros?
>>
Since when do raiders conquer anything?
>>
>england
>normandy
>russia
>not notable
>>
Well, there were the Normans and the Swedes
>>
>>787188
Not only are they not, they didn't even conquer Normandy
The king of Francia gave it to them
>>
>based
You're on /his/, not /pol/. The vikings were a bunch of heathen degenerates, they're a refuge of whites without Greco-Roman heritage who want an identity outside of the legacy of Christianity.
>>
>>787194
You mean, the treaty that was signed after Rollo siezed Rouen and besieged Paris?
>>
>>787187
Conquest usually follows raiding
>>
>>787175
They're like the Mongols in that the successful ones realised how shitty their cultures were and adopted the local ones.

E.g Persians, Normans etc
>>
>>787201

I believe the term is "snow niggers".

>not /pol/
>>
>>787175
did they not conquer (or make) kievan rus
>>
>>787175

Depends, are you giving them credit for Norman conquests as well? Kingdom of Sicily was beast mode for a while.
>>
>>787206
The treaty that was signed after Rollo got defeated in Chartres
You don't conquer by losing
>>
>>787316
You don't seem to know how war works, buddy
>>
Did you know?

The Vikings lost almost every single battle they faced against the Muslims.
>>
>>787175

having a giant axe slung in front of your penis and testicles, only blocked by clothe, strikes me as a poor choice.
>>
>>787268

Were the Normans the first group in Europe to really perfect primogeniture succession? I ask because my professor back when we studied the expansion of Norman holdings throughout the Mediterranean brought up primogeniture as a partial reason for their success.
>>
>>787333

Did you know the Norse had extensive trading with the Muslims, and in fact widely practiced Islam as seen by numerous artifacts found in Sweden?

Surely, what is happening now is a return to the way of things.
>>
>>787395
>and in fact widely practiced Islam as seen by numerous artifacts found in Sweden
>memeing this hard
They did trade, but I'm not aware of evidence of wide practice of Islam among them.
>>
>>787175
Cause they weren't conquerors first and foremost, and many expeditions to other lands were privatized, not issued by (but perhaps funded by) their home kingdoms.

They did however create the Danelaw across most of England and Scotland, as well as keeping the east coast of Ireland, Normandy, Brittany, and several other historically significant areas.
>>
>>787395
WE
>>
>>787206
>besiege Paris
>Run away like a bitch when the actual army shows up
Stunning victory
>>
>>787387

Slavs practiced primogeniture though Poles regressed into gavelkind from XII to XIV centuries.
>>
Is this song about the Vikings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKZd4U397M4
>>
>>787188
>a few shitty broke-ass half-savage tribal """"""""""""""""""""kingdoms""""""""""""""""""""
>a fiefdom given by the Frankish king in exchange for oaths of allegience and servitude and conversion to Christianity, after the Franks kicked their asses
>illiterate primitive shit-smeared ooga-booga tribesmen who hid in the forest and ate mushrooms and were preyed upon and enslaved so frequently by so many people that their ethnonym is very likely the origin of the word "slave".

Very impressive indeed. Vikings were truly gods among men.
>>
File: 1456289682394.png (116 KB, 1125x1378) Image search: [Google]
1456289682394.png
116 KB, 1125x1378
They say the anuses conquered by the noble Norsemen still rustle to this day
>>
File: 1455394871623.jpg (894 KB, 1748x1597) Image search: [Google]
1455394871623.jpg
894 KB, 1748x1597
>>787188
>england
shit tier northern european country that wouldn't become relevant until the 17-18th century
>normandy
shit tier northern european country that wouldn't become relevant until the 19th century
>russia
literally who?

>not notable

no, it isnt. I know your little meme shows and meme videogames have brainwashed you into believing that vikings were these epic and mighty warriors but in reality they weren't, sorry, these are just facts.

>inb4 m-m-muh Varangian guard(that was mostly saxon btw)
>>
>>787699
But then what's even the point of following a very definitely inaccurate attempted reconstruction of a long-dead, thoroughly-debunked religion if said religion wasn't even the religion of your ancestors? Like, if you're not a Scandi or at least some sort of Germanic then why would you even bother with it?
>>
>>787175

Ay hol up.
>>
>>787465
DESIGNATED
>>
>>787228
By that logic Islam would have conquered Italy, Rome would have conquered Persia and the Irish would have conquered Britain.
>>
File: america-jesus-3[1].jpg (80 KB, 653x764) Image search: [Google]
america-jesus-3[1].jpg
80 KB, 653x764
>>787775
Everyone else is doing it, must be cool.
>>
>>787187
t. unsuspecting Sassanid on the eve of the Islamic conquest
>>
>>790501
>what is the emirate of sicily
>what is roman mesopotamia
>what is dal riata
>>
>>787804
u b tellin me...
>>
File: 1443992536471.jpg (264 KB, 626x626) Image search: [Google]
1443992536471.jpg
264 KB, 626x626
>>787175
This b8
>>
Viking was an act not a nation.
The Norse, Swede and Dane where farmers, fishers, herders and traders. They went Viking when the crops failed or populaton pressure got too much.
By the twelfth century, Northmen traders could be found on all coasts and rivers in Europe and as Far East as Byzantium.
>>
>>787699
>I'm a heathen, my son is black, you're an idiot, that is a fact
>my son is black

Doesn't he mean his wife's son?
>>
>>791424
WE WUZ VIKANGZ N SHEITT
>>
>>787188
>Russia
Explain.
>>
>>787175
They failed because while the rest of the world started advancing they were at the same technology level they had in like 2000BCE
>>
>>791899
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangians
>>
Well the conquered Normandy, then they conquered England from Normandy.

There was also Scandinavian York. Which was some different vikings conquering northern England and southern Scotland.
>>
>>792145
Normandy was given to them in exchange for them to get on their knees and start pleasing their Frank masters, it wasn't a conquest.
>>
File: 1434841382776s.jpg (2 KB, 84x125) Image search: [Google]
1434841382776s.jpg
2 KB, 84x125
>>787395
>mfw I learn Sweden has always been cucked by the Muslims.
>>
>>792175
...After they already seized it

...And after one of Rollo's men humiliated the French king in his court and didn't get punished for it
>>
>>792175
I think you should read more about the history of the Duchy of Normandy. The Normans definitely did not please their Frankish "masters" and openly defied them via arms.
>>
>>791951

... So you think the vikings used bronze daggers and chariots, and didn't use body armor or longships?

Well that's a new one.
>>
>>787175
>this fucking thread
>there are people who will take this nonsense seriously
Why is /his/ so bad at discussing anything Norse?
>>
>>787316

>they lost
>which is why the French gave them a big chunk of land
>because they're losers
>>
>>794776
>they won
>which is why they swore homage to the French king and converted to Catholicism at his behest
>because they're winners
>>
>>787175
They've conquered the future, just look at all the viking-themed shit we see these days
>>
Well, Normandy was given to Rollo when the French king got sick of their fuckery. And the Great Heathen Army/ Danelaw/ North Sea Empire. I guess Russia counts because of Rurik.

Vikings weren't conquerors though, but raiders, so I don't see why you need to know what they conquered for them to be based. Focus on the truly great things they achieved, like discovering North America 500 years before Columbus, or how they were the Byzantine Emperors bodyguards
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.