[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the arts are a waste of time >mfw Opinions? I hear this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: mfw1.png (52 KB, 240x282) Image search: [Google]
mfw1.png
52 KB, 240x282
>the arts are a waste of time
>mfw

Opinions? I hear this all the time from my friends in engineering, and all my rebuttals are faced with meme spewing such as "if it don't make 260k/yr it's in the trash xDDddDD".
>>
>>786707
just tell them that plenty of artists have good careers in advertising, and hollywood.
>>
>>786707
Stop associating with such people normie scum.
>>
I'm using mine as a stepping stone. Currently studying medicine as a result of my BA
>>
>>786707
You've got shitty friends m8.
>>
>>786712

I had lots of friends a year ago.

Now, I only have about 5 I'd call 'best' friends. I can't lose them anon, I'll be all alone.
>>
>>786707
My dear Sir

Art is useless because its aim is simply to create a mood. It is not meant to instruct, or to influence action in any way. It is superbly sterile, and the note of its pleasure is sterility. If the contemplation of a work of art is followed by activity of any kind, the work is either of a very second-rate order, or the spectator has failed to realise the complete artistic impression.

A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse. All this is I fear very obscure. But the subject is a long one.

Truly yours,

Oscar Wilde
>>
Why are arts important?
>>
>>786707
The artist is the creator of beautiful things.
To reveal art and conceal the artist is art’s aim.
The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
The highest, as the lowest, form of criticism is a mode of autobiography.
Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.
Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.
They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
The nineteenth century dislike of Realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.
The nineteenth century dislike of Romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass.
The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist, but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium.
1/2
>>
>>786757
No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved.
No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style.
No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art.
Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art.
From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor’s craft is the type.
All art is at once surface and symbol.
Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.
Those who read the symbol do so at their peril.
It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors.
Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital.
When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself.
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless.
Oscar Wilde.
2/2
>>
>>786734
5 is a lot. Though, I'm all alone and perfectly functional and happy, once you cast off your disgusting normie friend scumbags you can be a better person.
>>
>>786707
Im an engineer
Im reading the confessioms of saint augustine, i read the three kingdoms and tao te ching. I read ulysses.
I was a commision artist and have had realist, surrealist, and avante garde works in public galleries for years at a time.
I write stories in stream of conciousness and am working on developing a minimist art style that tries to focus on light hitting organic shapes.

YOUR FRIENDS ARE PLEBIANS
THEIR MINDS ARE SMALL
KILL THEM THAT IS THE ONLY ESCAPE
>>
>>786707
Can you tell me the names of any engineer that lived in Vienna in Mahler's time? How many rich folks from ancient Athens do you know? It's the culture, art and literature that defines the civilization and makes live on and be admired and remembered for many years even after its gone.

That being said, you most likely will never have money and a 10/10 wife like your engineer friends, if you become an artist. Only if you're famous, but even mediocre engineers can have money and women.

It's like Plato said in the Symposium. Some participate in immortality by having children. Others by making stuff and being "fathers" of their creations.
>>
>>786759

I can't handle being alone anon. I can't even connect with my family anymore. They have lived such a conservative style and disdain any 'higher' thought into the arts or anything of the sorts. No women anon. None. Ever. Not even gay guys look at me at the pub. I can only talk to myself, no one will listen. I'm not liking this anymore.
>>
File: x5PbxWW.jpg (432 KB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
x5PbxWW.jpg
432 KB, 3504x2336
Art is entertainment design for money laundering.
>>
Theme of the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqoiSPgwUA
>>
>>786707
>trying to explain art to engineering autists

Just ask them if they think they're capable of selling their product on their own with no help from marketing. And then laugh at them when they say they are.
>>
>>786794
>marketing
Kek nigger weak example.
>>
Sounds like teenage bants, son.
>>
>>786798
Perhaps, but it's the one that directly affects them. They can just meme away "culture" and "artistic expression" with
>lelnotSTEM

It's harder to do that with marketing. SOMEBODY has to make their product palatable to their consumer base. SOMEBODY has to make their shit stand out from all the rest. Even if they only sell to professionals and not the general public, they still need to make their product look better than their competitors.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.