[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ was there ever a Greek God of not sleeping? I just had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Bluto_toga.png (227 KB, 380x284) Image search: [Google]
Bluto_toga.png
227 KB, 380x284
/his/ was there ever a Greek God of not sleeping? I just had this really weird dream and around the end there was this thing about the God of not sleeping and I was just wondering if there actually was a God of not sleeping.
>>
I would assume that the daemon personification of sleep (Hypnos) would determine whether or not people go to sleep at all.

Also, according to Greek myth, there was once a very brief period where nobody died at all, because Thanatos, the daemon of death, ended up getting the 50 Shades of Gray treatment
>>
>>779098
Did Hypnos have any enemies in the myths? In my dream the god of not sleeping didn't get along with him.
>>
>>778897
Did you try Googling "the oh God of not-sleeping"?
>>
>>778897
There was the Unknown God.

Who knows, maybe it is a god of not sleeping.
>>
>>778897
>>779397
>ITT: OP has a funny dream and thinks he's a shaman
>>
File: shadman.png (518 KB, 543x553) Image search: [Google]
shadman.png
518 KB, 543x553
>>780795
>>ITT: OP has a funny dream and thinks he's a shaman

Shit, I read this as
>ITT: OP has a funny dream and thinks he's a shadman

Maybe I should go to sleep...
>>
>>780788
Paul showed the Greeks that this is Jesus.

Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; 23 for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription:

TO THE UNKNOWN GOD.

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you
>>
>>779847
Yeah nothing turned up.

>>780788
Never heard of this before. What's the Unknown God?

>>780795
Dream was actually pretty deep. Made me have an epiphany or something. Also stuff about God of not sleeping was kinda detailed. I thought I might've learned about it a long time ago and forgotten it or something like that.

>>781036
Kek. That'd be a pretty fun dream.
>>
>>783040
*epiphany about something
>>
Probably not but maybe check other ancient societies. They might have gods of not sleeping.
>>
>>783040
In the Book of Acts the Apostle Paul gives a speech in Athens where he mentions that he saw a monument "To an unknown God" and uses that to teach about Jesus.

It was probably meant to be a catch all monument for any Gods the Greeks missed or didn't know about.
>>
>>785601
Tried looking nothing came up.
>>
>>778897
Why would a god have human needs like sleeping?
>>
>>786569

Why would God need a starship?
>>
>>778897
Exypnos?
>>
>>787091
Could you give more information? The best thing I could find on Exypnos is this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k8GgQqUxPgMC&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=exypnos+greek+meaning&source=bl&ots=EPxlnJZiMV&sig=MJ5F9PQJ2fNhERo80EsTqiMlqp4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW4-2t06jLAhVHr4MKHcZXChsQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=exypnos%20greek%20meaning&f=false
>>
Hanz is that you?
>>
>>778897
If you want to interprete your dreams read this.

Just a heads up, all dream interpretation is a unique to the dreamer. Those quick-sheet lists that say 'if you dream x it means y' are worthless since symbols always have a personal meaning in addition to a generic one.

Dreams are basically how the subconscious expresses itself using your emotional reponse and cultural understanding of known symbols as a motif.
>>
>>787400
The name is Duncan actually.
>>787406
Looks interesting. I'll find a pdf and read some of it. I've been having a lot of weird dreams recently.
>>
>>786569
>missing the point of anthropomorphism
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.